Ft simple stick...

Flion

I was wondering about the new simple stick?with just the standard b power pack can u hang it on the prop and how much does it weigh?!

Flion

another thing ive been wondering about is how to stop delamination, and is there any way to kind of round the leading edge of the wing?

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Ironing the edges works wonders and doesn't add any weight. @BATTLEAXE has a great video series the technique. Here's part 1:
I had to try this and it works a treat, I am going to use it for my FT Edge build. I am also planing to cut the elevator and rudder off, bevel them and fit proper hinges as per a normal balsa build. Thus avoiding the hot glued paper style hinges and extending the longevity of the plane hopefully. My iron is now set to the optimum temperature, its a brilliant tip and wish I had used it on all my previous builds.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I had to try this and it works a treat, I am going to use it for my FT Edge build. I am also planing to cut the elevator and rudder off, bevel them and fit proper hinges as per a normal balsa build. Thus avoiding the hot glued paper style hinges and extending the longevity of the plane hopefully. My iron is now set to the optimum temperature, its a brilliant tip and wish I had used it on all my previous builds.
Yes - plastic hinges is a must for the edge. The hinges are what failed on my last edge after only a handful of flights.

Nic Darby

To prevent delamination, clean up the edges, and make them easy to paint, I trim & sand so they are rounded and then wipe a thin layer of 5 minute epoxy on the edge and slightly onto the paper. Paints really nice, and when my plane gets dripping wet from the grass, it is no problem. I also use it to seal where the sheets join before painting.

Attachments

• Nics FT Spitfire.JPG
    Nics FT Spitfire.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
To prevent delamination, clean up the edges, and make them easy to paint, I trim & sand so they are rounded and then wipe a thin layer of 5 minute epoxy on the edge and slightly onto the paper. Paints really nice, and when my plane gets dripping wet from the grass, it is no problem. I also use it to seal where the sheets join before painting.
I have started using an iron and heat seal all my edges now, no more delamination. Plus I get nice round leading edges and tapers on the trailing edges. Perfect for hinge joints, it gives added rigidity and a center line to follow when installing the hinges.