FT Simple Storch - Beauty Shots

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Some of you guys have great looking builds. Lets see your FT Storch!
Post a beauty shot of your FT Storch build even if you have posted one before. It's nice to have them all in one place.
Maybe someone will make a calendar...hmmmmm. I just might do that! :D
Finally added some pics from my build. Waiting on a battery for the maiden. Hope I don't hose it up to much before Flite Fest!
Storch5.jpg Storch2.jpg Storch3.jpg Storch4.jpg Storch Bottom.jpg

Last edited:

Bayboos

20141002-IMG_8776.jpg
20141002-IMG_8944.jpg
20141002-IMG_8848.jpg

20150424-IMG_4338.jpg
20141002-IMG_8797.jpg
IMG_0462-2.JPG

Unfortunatelly, She doesn't look that nice anymore. You can find more photos and some vids under the links below.

FPVology

The storch was my VERY FIRST scratch build...
I know you said "beauty shots", but hey.. its all perspective!!! (still beautiful to me!!!)
Resize1.jpg
Resize2.jpg

After its first 3 minutes of flying!

Jbing

My Storch

I guess I went outside the lines when I scratched out my Storch. I built this for my son to learn to fly. He's pretty good on the simulator, so I think he can handle this. It flys like a Cub though. Yeah I know the left wheel is crooked. I just stuck it on there to take the photos. The engine is just laminated foam painted to look like a C-65. The exhaust is coffee stirrers.

Attachments

• cub4.jpg
    cub4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • cub6.jpg
    cub6.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25

wingless

How are you guys painting your planes? Living in Ca. I can't get the oil based Min-Wax, and want to paint them instead of using colored tape all the time.

Jbing

How are you guys painting your planes? Living in Ca. I can't get the oil based Min-Wax, and want to paint them instead of using colored tape all the time.

The whole problem with painting Adams foamboard is that the solvents in the paint want to delaminate the paper from the foam and on the edges actually dissolve the foam somewhat. I painted my first plane without Minwaxing it first and all the things I described happened. The areas where the paint went on wet and heavy pruned up. The paper on the cut edges started to lift in spots too. The next plane I sealed all the exposed edges with hot glue, wiping off the excess. And when I painted the plane I just sprayed really light dust coats about 10 min apart. It took about 4 coats before I got any real coverage. I kept the can moving all the time and never got any wet spots. After the fourth coat I waited an hour to spay the final coat which I put on a little heavier. It looked fine and didn't damage the foam. It was a pain in the backside but it kept the paint from ruining my airplane. When I learned about the Minwax it made life a lot easier. Sorry you don't have access to it. That's also why I use colored tape for my trim now. I hate masking and since most paints require you recoat within an hour or two any masking tape applied to what you just painted is subject to being pulled off by the masking tape. One last thing: Dollar tree colored duct tape looks great until its exposed to the heat of prolonged sunlight. Then it puckers up, lifts, and bubbles. Very disappointing. My Mustang has duct tape trim. Its not holding up too well. Mustang2.jpg

Hi All,

here is my bird with winter camo and she flies beautifully. I built her from 3mm Kapa line foamboard since that's all we have here. AUW is 1250g

I painted the base grey with primer and purchased some Tamiya model paint for the darker grey and yellow. The decals were made with some matt finish car vinyl I got on ebay. I cut out some templates from foamboard for the windows and just cut round them onto the vinyl. If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Enjoy

20150614_101500.jpg 20150614_101511.jpg 20150614_101523.jpg 20150614_101534.jpg 20150614_101553.jpg 20150614_101601.jpg 20150614_101629.jpg 20150614_101634.jpg 20150614_101654.jpg 20150614_101741.jpg 20150614_101751.jpg

wbvike

Some of you guys have great looking builds. Lets see your FT Storch!
Post a beauty shot of your FT Storch build even if you have posted one before. It's nice to have them all in one place.
Maybe someone will make a calendar...hmmmmm. I just might do that! :D
Finally added some pics from my build. Waiting on a battery for the maiden. Hope I don't hose it up to much before Flite Fest!
View attachment 47866 View attachment 47863 View attachment 47864 View attachment 47865 View attachment 47862

Wow Rasterize,that plane looks awesome!! Excellent job sir. Can I ask, how long did it take and how did you accomplish that design on the wings/fuselage with all the wavy lines? I would love to do something this detailed one day, but i need some more, a lot more, flying time under my belt!

Strix

Nice planes in this thread!

I love the Cub Storch! That engine detail looks pretty sweet. And that winter camo on SB-UG is just gorgeous.

My A-99 got to prove its mettle as a trainer this weekend. I buddy boxed three kids and an adult on it.

The kids didn't think too much of the squarish and odd-looking Storch until I took off in about 18 inches and did a steady climb-out to 200 feet or so at a jaunty 45+ degree angle. That got their attention!

And I amazed some EDF jet pilots last night with super steep landing approaches where I'd lower the flaperons and put her into a 70-degree dive with the throttle chopped, then level it out a couple feet above the ground into a perfect flare and come to a stop a few feet after touching down.

The Storch's STOL performance never fails to impress. :)

attachment.php

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Sweet looking Storch's guys! Great job!

Hey wbvike. Thanks man! Everything was design in Photoshop using the FT as a guide so it fit just right. It was then printed on large sheets of tissue paper (13X30) and attached to each foam piece of a speed build kit before assembly. After everything was together, I hit it with some Minwax Ploycrylic for weatherproofing. This makes it a totally repeatable process.