FT Simple Storch - BUILD

GotCox

I know this is an older thread, but i just wanted to say how awesome this plane has been. I bought a speed build kits and the power pack c. Both where awesome for getting my storch together in 2 days messing around and learning as my first build. I had been trying to learn to fly with a little sport cub s that had the living daylights beat out of it. So stepping up to this big plane with no ax3x or SAFE to fly for me was super intimidating...until you remember it is foam, and you built it. First flight was awesome. Way more controllable than i imagined and super smooth in the air. I had set mine up with ailerons and flaps, the speed difference you can fly at it makes is so cool. Rip the C pack open with the flaps off and it moves out. Back off to 50% and put the flaps down and it will literally set still in a 3-5mph wind.

I have crashed it 3 times. Twice straight nose dives because i had not mounted my receiver well and it was glitching out. Once because i suck and kept rolling the wrong way and landing it straight upside down on it's back. Besides broken props and a little hot glue it was back in the air with no long term effects. I have flown in rain, cold/snow, and really strong wind. It just flys great and the size is awesome in the air. I will be buying another speed build kit to put together slowly and paint up nice so i can switch everything over when i crash this first one to death....but by the way it is holding up i think it is gonna be a while. Thanks Flight Test for the awesome plane, plans, kits, videos...

SilbernerSurfer

Are the slats working? Is there a noticible difference in airspeed with the slats?

May someone tell me the dry weight of the Simple Storch, please?

Thanks in advance!:)

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
You can just hot glue the pod in if you want, I usually do that after a few crashes and after the skewers wear out the holes.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
You have to get the white stuff from Dollar tree and scratch build it, FT stpped carrying it a while ago.

dreamgt

I'm crushed guys. I've been trying to enjoy this model, but it keeps getting destroyed on minor crashes, due to ridiculous wind. I have built 2 from scratch so far; the first one suffered from weak points surrounding the landing gear, then the wing started folding like a hot dog bun, because of a weak point on that piece on the wing where the Popsicle stick is glued on for the rubber bands. It was also a big funky in the air because it was heavy, I had blasted on 3 coats of rust-o-leum, which seemed a bit excessive.

The 2nd one I just finished / finalized yesterday, I spent an entire week, cutting, sanding, sealing with glue, reinforcing all the prior weak points I had observed (minus the wing). I omitted the paint job, and made sure the thing was just solid as could be. I took it to a fairly empty, but rocky field, did a glide test into a light wind and the thing glided beautifully and gently. I was ready to go, I set on her on the ground...

Suddenly, a 30 mph wind gust comes, picks the storch off the ground like a tiny leaf, and sends it 10 feet into the air sideways.
It starts cartwheeling through the air and then on to the ground.
Rolling perfectly like a wheel along all 4 of its axis'
Wing Tip, Tail, Wing Tip, Nose, Wing Tip, Tail, Wing Tip...

I saw the motor fly off and the firewall splinter like an exploding box of toothpicks.

I want to throw in the towel at this point, because I feel like if I build another one I just won't find any decent place to fly... The wind is just killer out here in the desert in Southern California right now.

Should I build another one? or just wait till Fall or something?

*edit: typos

Last edited:

Namactual

Elite member
Should you build another one?
That is completely up to you.

That said, it sounds like you had some extremely bad luck on your last two builds. It sucks, but it happens to all of us. I lost two original scratch build aircraft in one day. Both due to outside forces beyond my control.

I was bummed for a while, but the next versions I built of both of them turned out better than the first so it was worth it in the end.

Look at it this way, the next one you build will go quicker and be even better. By the time you are done you will be able to build the Storch in your sleep.(y)

Bricks

Master member
Maybe not your forte you might want to build a Versa or any wing, as they just laugh at any kind of wind. Or at least have one around just for those days, along with my 17 gassers and Nitro`s I keep on hand 5 wing`s some night flyer`s one FPV and the rest for the times it is to windy for anything else, they are all foamies.

SilbernerSurfer

The wing has a v-shape because of the dihedral and the fuse is flat. How is this working together when the wing is mounted on the fuse? Does it wiggle?

tamuct01

The wing has a v-shape because of the dihedral and the fuse is flat. How is this working together when the wing is mounted on the fuse? Does it wiggle?

I solved this by adding a couple of popsicle sticks to to the top edges of the fuselage to take up the gap and keep the wing stable.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I'm crushed guys. I've been trying to enjoy this model, but it keeps getting destroyed on minor crashes, due to ridiculous wind. I have built 2 from scratch so far; the first one suffered from weak points surrounding the landing gear, then the wing started folding like a hot dog bun, because of a weak point on that piece on the wing where the Popsicle stick is glued on for the rubber bands. It was also a big funky in the air because it was heavy, I had blasted on 3 coats of rust-o-leum, which seemed a bit excessive.

The 2nd one I just finished / finalized yesterday, I spent an entire week, cutting, sanding, sealing with glue, reinforcing all the prior weak points I had observed (minus the wing). I omitted the paint job, and made sure the thing was just solid as could be. I took it to a fairly empty, but rocky field, did a glide test into a light wind and the thing glided beautifully and gently. I was ready to go, I set on her on the ground...

Suddenly, a 30 mph wind gust comes, picks the storch off the ground like a tiny leaf, and sends it 10 feet into the air sideways.

I saw the motor fly off and the firewall splinter like an exploding box of toothpicks.

I want to throw in the towel at this point, because I feel like if I build another one I just won't find any decent place to fly... The wind is just killer out here in the desert in Southern California right now.

By all means build another and save it for a day with a little more favorable weather. If the wind is stopping you from flying, (and assuming you already have some flight experience), I also recommend that you consider a flying wing due to its inherent stability though I would suggest a more robust model than the Arrow or Versa.

The forum is littered with pictures of crashed and ripped apart wings but the one that you will not find a pic of in a destroyed condition can be found at:- https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/collaborators-build-1-800-mm-kfm-flying-wing.54085/

I have seen them attempt a landing with the wings vertical and then cartwheel across the runway. Owner/pilot just picked it up checked for damage and relaunch immediately without repair. Another flew into a goal post and was immediately relaunched. Heck! One even flew into a tree and bounced out and fell vertically to the ground. This time removed and refitted the battery, (it had come loose), and again immediately relaunched it.

It is not a beautiful design, nor is it an aerodynamic marvel, but it is extremely robust and great fun to fly in all but the worst of weather. The club I belong to has about 20 copies of the design and we use them for pylon racing, (around goal posts), and for full contact combat, (well attempted full contact they are extremely hard to hit!).

Just my thoughts on your dilemma!

Have fun!

Just my thoughts!

SilbernerSurfer

Every plane has its limits. The lower the wing loading the more the plane gets affected by wind or gusts. The FT planes are not very durable compared to EPP planes in general.

A very durable plane e.g. is a Teksumo. Its made out of EPP. It is a flying wing. There are also some high wing trainers available made out of EPP. EPP is a little bit heavier than the FT foamboards, but flexible and easy to repair. Maybe this EPP planes are an option for you in windy/gusty conditions.

Not every EPP plane is flexible like the one in the pic, because of CF rods inserted in the wing for example. But EPP itself is very flexible.

Attachments

• 02A-006-4CH-Trainer-RED-KIT-12.jpg
    02A-006-4CH-Trainer-RED-KIT-12.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: