FT Simple Storch landing gear wire way too thick

Anselme

Hello,

I am currently trying to make the landing gear of the FT Simple Storch. The problem is that the wire I received with the kit is a lot thicker than the one in the video. (maybe 1 or 2mm thicker). As a result I cannot bend the wire as it is way too hard, even using a vice. Is that an error with my kit ? ...

Thank you

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
You should be able to bend the wire in a vice with pliers or vice grips.

Anselme

Thank for your answer. I already tried it but it is way too hard when it comes to bending close to the wire ends. I gonna find another thing to do the landing gear. I don't know why they changed the thickness of the wire that seemed good on the video...

Anyway thanks for your answer

Gazoo

Do you have a caliper to take a thickness measurement? Do the wheels fit on the wire (without drilling)?

Bricks

Master member
You will find when bending the thicker wire is use a hammer with the vice and plan your bends as to how to use the vice. It is not really that hard hardest is keeping the same dimensions from one side to the other.

Anselme

I will post a picture and show you the thickness tomorrow morning, I am busy this evening. Thanks for your answers

Anselme

Hey everyone, as Bricks said I was able to bend the wires using a hammer and a vice. It was doable, just a bit long because you have to check everytime if the angle is good. But that was doable.

I think they changed the wire thickness of the kit because mine was definetly thicker, I noticed that when he was able to stack 2 wires inside the fuselage top, while I can only fit one.

Anyway my FT Storch is about to be painted. So all good !

Thx everyone

chappy652

Salut Anselme,
J'ai eu le même problème avec mon kit acquit via Graupner. La CAP fournie était de diamétre 3mm.
J'ai posté un message à FT et ils m'ont envoyé gracieusement une pochette complète d'accessoires avec les bonnes CAP de 2mm.
Avec la CAP de 3, ça risque de faire un peu lourd!
Bon vol

Anselme

Salut Anselme,
J'ai eu le même problème avec mon kit acquit via Graupner. La CAP fournie était de diamétre 3mm.
J'ai posté un message à FT et ils m'ont envoyé gracieusement une pochette complète d'accessoires avec les bonnes CAP de 2mm.
Avec la CAP de 3, ça risque de faire un peu lourd!
Bon vol
Ah je vois que je ne suis pas le seul.
J'ai réussi à me débrouiller avec un étau et un marteau mais c'est pas bien pratique !

A bientot

chappy652

Et surtout beaucoup plus lourd!
Une question en passant: Qu'utilises tu comme matériel de collage?
J'utilise un Stanley FatMax qui est génial. Regulation, 2 températures (120 et 200°C) débit 1kg/heure. Avec les colles courament disponibles dans nos magasins de brico, je ne parviens pas à réussir un collage long, genre aile de 1m50 ou long fuselage. Loin de ce qu'on voit sur les vidéos de build où on voit Josh Bixler prendre son temps et ça colle impec. Pour moi, quand j'ai fini de mettre la colle, elle est pratiquement froide et le collage est dégueu, quand ça colle! J'en suis arrivé à coller par petits bouts quan c'est possible.. Et même, pour mon Guinea Pig, j'ai collé à la colle universelle blanche. J'ai aussi de la Tesa, qui était affectionnée par Papy Kilowatt, pour le Depron.
Merci pour tout tuyau. A bientôt.

Anselme

J'utilise un pistollet à colle "Rapid" pour coller. Et en effet ce n'est pas l'idéale.
Pour mon FT Storch j'ai du utiliser 2 pistollets à colle pour réussir à coller et avec l'aide d'un ami... En effet moi dès que je dépose la colle, c'est la course pour ne pas perdre 1s avant de refermer l'aile. Il faut que j'investisse !!
Merci pour la référence de ton pistollet à colle.

A bientot !