FT Simple Storch, It's dead.

hreehoorn

Thanks for all the positive responses everyone! I am also glad that people seem to like my longish flight log style. I am mainly doing to include as much info as possible while still making it fun to read.

Stay posted for updates of upcoming build(s) if it isn’t a Storch (currently on backorder) I will start a new thread for that. Getting excited to build another one!

Arcfyre

Elite member
Sorry about the Storch. I too have sacrificed a few to the RC gods. Looking forward to seeing what you do next. If you're looking to get into wings, I can recommend the Versa Wing. Great slow flying wing and a very easy build process.

jack10525

Welcome back to the insanity!!!!

This sounds just like me in the beginning and a little now. I get all excited about a new build and rush to finish then rush to fly and a lot of times end up crashing. I've learned now to slow down a little. I usually try to build a plane over a few days to pace myself. Then I try to make sure it is set up correctly to hopefully ensure a successful maiden. I am getting better but still crash a lot. Nice pics of the plane in the tree. I have some just like it.

Gryf

I loved my Storch, which is now retired, but not due to crash damage... I built it well before the waterproof foamboard was available; I used the white stuff, meaning that a whole lot of landings in wet grass, plus our Missouri humidity, have caused it to delaminate in places and look generally bedraggled. But oh, what a sweet flyer it is. In fact, I maidened it at Flite Fest four years ago. Whatever, now that you know the Storch well, by all means build another one and just enjoy it.

By the way, you can always graft a new nose on these planes if you bash them up too badly. I learned to fly RC on an FT Old Fogey, and by the time I retired it, it was on its second nose and third wing. Now it's hanging in the den. ;-)

Gryf

Last edited:

ozzie

Welcome back it was over it was over 50 years before I started back up with RC airplanes, talk about a lot of changes and learning to do, programable radios 2.4 versus 72mhz and electric . My last transmitter had one button push once for right and twice for left.
Bricks, I love your signature- "When inverted down is up and up is expensive". I literally laughed out loud!

Samir

This is my first official post here other than my intro post, I hope to be a member that can learn a lot from the forum and over time also add where I can.
After deciding to reenter the hobby and having a natural inclination to build things, I chose to build The Simple Storch. Shame on me that I didn't document the build process but I was just too excited to get it built. This same excitement would give me problems, mainly with the landing gear, more on that later. I also used the Power pack C which so far seems to be perfect, provides a very large envelope for flight and all the servos to add flaps. I know that for a first new plane this isn't the best idea, but I wanted them. View attachment 111533 View attachment 111532
Building up to and during my first flight I made huge mistakes, I built the plane over two afternoons, at the end of the second afternoon, and losing daylight I drove 20 minutes north to the local flying field. It was too windy, but I thought "its a big plane, it can handle it" I wish I would have known the windspeed but the weather station at the field was not working. Having a proper place to take off from I took off via landing gear. "IT FLIES!" I thought, whilst the plane was banking to the left, having not flown a 4 channel plane in almost 10 years
I panicked and 'forgot' how to trim the plane, in an awkward fashion I bashed the plane into the runway and ripped the landing gear clean off. this was probably due to me not being able to bend the wires very well and starting to rush. I also think the design while more accurate to the actual Storch is slightly over designed. (Sorry Bixler, still love the plane!) I attempted to fly one more time but the wind wasnt going to let that happen and I dove the plane into the ground. This ripped the front barbecue skewer for the wings off and it was done for the day.
A week later after work decided to get out of the way I had a chance to fly again, this time I was going to take my time and do things right. I spent the morning repairing the plane from the past crashes, reinforcing areas I saw as weak points, and setting up my plane properly. There is a huge hay field behind my house and the only reason didnt use it before was the landing gear. When I fixed the plane I decided not to reinstall the landing gear, just hand launch and belly land. After checking the plane one more time, I launched it, very little wind. Man does this plane fly great, 1/3 throttle and it just wants to cruise! I brought it up, trimmed it out, flew a few circles and then landed and took off a few times. After about 5 minutes I took a turn and I see the battery come out. The plane just leveled out, and established a glide slope, right into a tree. Retrieved the plane, it was beat up more but still fine, but I had to address the battery issue, I went into my flight box kit and had a spare barbecue skewer. I used this as a wedge for the battery to hold it agains the velcro. The velcro keeps it from sliding fore and after while the skewer keep it tight up against the power pod. View attachment 111534 I got 'one more flight syndrome' after circling around for another 7 Minutes and then dove the nose right into the ground. Not sure what caused the crash other than lack of experience. This ripped off the front power pod support, separated the power pod firewall, crunched the power pod, and damaged the dihedral to the wings. View attachment 111530 View attachment 111528 View attachment 111531 View attachment 111529

As i progress through this I hobby I am really starting to enjoying the problem solving of fixing after a crash. While it is unfortunate the problem solving aspect gets me excited. I will probably continue to document on this thread if it seems fit, I also welcome all pointers and tips for building, flying, etc. Thanks once more for all the great threads on this forum and I look forward to learning together.
Thanks for the detailed pics. Got the same motor and gonna build tomorrow. Guess I'll take your advice and strengthen my storch. Cheers😊

Same thing happened to my son. He was doing some aggressive acrobatics when all of the sudden the plan just nose dove with wings folded :)
It was quite the sight. The issue seems to be mostly on positive Gs (assuming straight level and shinny side up). The paint mixer seems to be strong enough to prevent the wing to bend downwards.I love the dihedral wing look so I will try something that can keep that. I have a 3d printer, maybe I can print some spars with the dihedral angle.

(here is a video of my son flying the Storch. can't wait to build it again.
)

Last edited:
Nevermind what I said. The answer was right on my table: Medium Landing Gear Wire. I tested it with my damaged wing and I can already tell pushing up is not giving up at all.

storchwingreinforcement.png