FT Simple Storch Options

heartland

What's best for the FT Simple Storch

Ailerons only
Flaperons
Ailerons and flaps

Starting mine today.
At this point, based on my foamies, I'm going with ailerons and flaps.
But would like some input on flaperons.
Thanks

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
If you set up with ailerons and flaps, you should be able to program a mode on your transmitter to do a flaperon mix as well. Best of both worlds.

clolsonus

I think it's down to your preferences. This airplane is such a gentle flier it has absolutely no need for flaps at any time. For folks that are newer to the hobby, or people that just want to keep it simple, straight up ailerons are great. But if you like flaps, or want to play around with how they change the pitch trim and flight behavior, or you just like how the airplane looks on short final with flaps, then for sure, go for it. I built my storch without flaps and never felt like I was missing anything. At the time I was building the wing, I just decided I was in the mood for a simpler configuration, and figured I could always convert to flaperons later if I wanted.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Mine just came today and the foam board is brown paper sack color, not white?
What's the difference? Is the brown going to be a problem painting?
The brown FB is water resistant so it actually makes it easier to paint. Just scuff up the surfaces you are painting with steel wool or light sand paper before applying the paint to make sure it sticks, and you don't need to do 6 light coats on it, only takes two or three coats and it won't delaminate the paper.

clolsonus

The brown flight test foam board is great stuff. It definitely has a higher quality feel than the stuff you get from the dollar store. I had no problem painting it. I just went with a rattle can color from the local hardware store, then printed out some graphics on my ink jet printer for the tail. I hit the paper with a clear coat on both sides ... also rattle can ... to keep the ink from running if it ever gets wet. Then I glued it on with super 77 (also spray can.) There are lots of ways to skin a cat, but that is what worked for me. I know I've seen a lot nicer storch builds on this forum, but I was happy enough with how mine turned out.
DSC06772 (1).JPG

DSC06735.JPG

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The brown flight test foam board is great stuff. It definitely has a higher quality feel than the stuff you get from the dollar store. I had no problem painting it. I just went with a rattle can color from the local hardware store, then printed out some graphics on my ink jet printer for the tail. I hit the paper with a clear coat on both sides ... also rattle can ... to keep the ink from running if it ever gets wet. Then I glued it on with super 77 (also spray can.) There are lots of ways to skin a cat, but that is what worked for me. I know I've seen a lot nicer storch builds on this forum, but I was happy enough with how mine turned out.
View attachment 164206
View attachment 164207
Thats a good looking build, and it looks like it flies so i would call that a win

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I would recommend a 4 channel setup. I agree with @clolsonus, the storch is such a gentle flyer there is no need for flaps.

heartland

Building now. Are there any good tips to cutting the bevels?
I had a hard time on the wing double bevel and thought I'd ask before I move on to the others.
Thanks

heartland

FT Storch Update:
Thanks for all the help and tips. I installed the motor ESC, servos and radio out of my first Conscendo Advanced. I programed the AR636 with the Maule M7 program. As noted by some posters on this board it was under powered, but flew. I fly off grass here at my house so the long takeoff rolls were unacceptable. So I installed the motor and ESC out of my first Maule M7. I had to add weight on the tail for balance. That shortened my take off roll about 99.9%. I never got over half throttle and after landing saw that it was trying to pull the power pod out of the nose. So now waiting for the FT recommended motor. This was a fun project so I also ordered a Simple Scout and will try the Conscendo Advanced motor and ESC in that.
NOTE: Once we can get out and move around again I will get the proper vinyl to make the proper markings on my wife's ScanNcut machine.
Also the steerable tail wheel from the Maule works great.

20200417_144945.jpg
20200417_145002.jpg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
FT Storch Update:
Thanks for all the help and tips. I installed the motor ESC, servos and radio out of my first Conscendo Advanced. I programed the AR636 with the Maule M7 program. As noted by some posters on this board it was under powered, but flew. I fly off grass here at my house so the long takeoff rolls were unacceptable. So I installed the motor and ESC out of my first Maule M7. I had to add weight on the tail for balance. That shortened my take off roll about 99.9%. I never got over half throttle and after landing saw that it was trying to pull the power pod out of the nose. So now waiting for the FT recommended motor. This was a fun project so I also ordered a Simple Scout and will try the Conscendo Advanced motor and ESC in that.
NOTE: Once we can get out and move around again I will get the proper vinyl to make the proper markings on my wife's ScanNcut machine.
Also the steerable tail wheel from the Maule works great.

View attachment 166774 View attachment 166775
That's a great looking plane. I like the ironed edges. In my opinion more power is better. I like to run a 3536 1200kv on all the C pack powered planes. Like you noticed its a night and day difference, even on a slow flying plane it is nice to run around at half throttle knowing you have all that extra power for recoveries.

heartland

That's a great looking plane. I like the ironed edges. In my opinion more power is better. I like to run a 3536 1200kv on all the C pack powered planes. Like you noticed its a night and day difference, even on a slow flying plane it is nice to run around at half throttle knowing you have all that extra power for recoveries.

Thanks for the compliment Chris. And I agree it's nice to have the extra power, might get you out of a bind at some point. I think the extra weight, with the extra thrust was to much for the way the power pod mounts. After 5 minutes flying around at half throttle or less I thought I'd see were the stall was before I landed. When it stalled it caught me a little by surprise and I jazzed the throttle. It pulled the pod forward about a quarter inch breaking one of the pins. I got her down, at a very increased landing speed, and decided to scale back the power. I build this plane with the intent of some fun "scale" flying and I think that will be the case. Tried to save $20 on a motor! But hey not much else to do around here anyway. Quarantined!

heartland

FT Storch Update #2
Received and installed the FT EMAX GT2215/09 1180kV motor. A little strange that the shaft points to the rear of the plane! It's beyond me how the nice Clamp Style Prop Adapter is used. But OK, balance was right on and it flew very nice. After tweaking the AR636 program a little, adjusting for level Safe flight and turning off the THR to ELE Mix, the Storch is a very nice scale flyer. The flaps were a great option as well, you can really drag it in to land very slow. I'm very happy with it and it will be a good airplane for my young Grand Son to fly.
Thanks for every ones help.
Now on to the FT Simple Scout.