FT Slinger/Racer options build questions.

Racer X

Hello everybody. I'm new and I am planning on building the ripslinger or racer soon and have some questions.

I recently as in the last 2 months have gotten into RC flying. I have 2 gliders and have had a TON of simulator time with Realflight 6.5. A friend of mine that has been flying for a few years turned me onto this site and the slinger plane, especially since he just built one and it was fun to watch.

Questions are this. I have a spare E-flight Power 10(1100kv) motor with a Castle 54amp ESC and a friend has a E-flight Park 450(890kv) with a 30amp ESC. Both are going to be powered by 3s 2200mah 25-30c Lipos.

Are these ok for the Slinger build ? If so what props ? Also for the Power 10 would it be ok or bad to maybe build the slinger about 15-25% bigger all around ?

Sorry for all the questions but just really interested in this build. I will be doing it from scratch as well if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

tramsgar

Can only answer for the FT Racer: I think both motors would work, but I'd go with the bigger one. Go for the recommendations on the prop (but not larger than 12x5 imho). Don't scale the model up, though. Bring that friend of yours for the maiden to trim it in and launch for you!

Racer X

Yeah he is going to help with the build since he has done it before aka this past weekend lol.

Would scaling it up just be to big ? You don't think the power 10 will be to much for it ? It is 450 watt motor.

Flynn

From what I've read the Elmer's board is heavier. I don't know if that means its better but I've built a few of the swappables and the dollar tree foam has been working good for me.

tramsgar

450W won't be too much, I run a 700-800W motor on mine (depending on voltage). Of course the torque is a bic, but it's definitely not overpowered. I think 450W on 1:1 can give you great flight times.

Racer X

Awesome good to know. . So will the Park 450 being a 175w motor be totally under powered or will it be ok as well ?

Sorry for all the questions but thank you SO MUCH for all the answers.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
RacerX,

If you prop it right on those 3s packs, the 450 will be fine. It might not be the fastest "Racer" around, but it should perform respectably. You'll be hampered a bit by the low KV for speed, but you should be able to make up for it by using a higher pitch.

HH's prop spec goes from 9-12", but it doesn't say the cutoff for 2s vs 3s (lower voltage on the same motor will swing a larger prop). My off-the-cuff guess for the prop would be a high-pitch 10" prop. It might swing a high pitch 11" prop, but check with a watt meter before you fly.

BTW, Welcome to the forum! Post some pictures/video once you've got 'em flying!

Racer X

Hey Dan thanks a ton for the welcome I will gladly post up some pics and some video once I get em. I have a small Dice cam that I need to send back since the battery died within a week lol.

Ok so 11" I have a TON of those. 11x7 wood and plastic. Is that a good prop for both engines ? We were using a 11x7 on the Ultra Mini Stick that had the 450 on it and it didn't run hot.

I will post up some pics of my other gems as well. Have a Cermark Mini-Phoenix glider and an Aspire EP I am going to convert to brushless with a Hacker A20-20l I have laying about.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
if the 11x7 runs cool at WOT, then it'll drag that racer around the sky with ease.

looking forward to seeing it tear up the sky!

BTW, Dice cam? Planning on cheating at Craps?

Racer X

Lol. The dice cam I got from hobbypartz.com. It's a small 720p HD camera. Takes 15+mins of video. Very nice but mine had a fault pretty soon and am getting it replaced for free. Minus me shipping it back.

Just bought 7 sheets of poster board. :). 3 black and 4 white. Starting build soon :)