Ft Smoothie (simple cub, tiny trainer twin boom blend)

duckduckgoose

So after my Tiny Twin Boomer (Twin boom tiny trainer pusher) went well, i was planning on building another with the polyhedral wing, but it has no ailerons which seems to be the best way to steer these things, so i decided to use my simple cub wing with the TT body (heavily modified of course) And slap on a big ol sunny sky 2216 1250kv motor. This thing is gonna fly fast... Hopefully just not into the ground. I have a tail already assembled from a previous plane, so everything just needs to be slapped together. Here goes nothing...
IMG_20190623_091316-01.jpeg

Last edited:

duckduckgoose

Tail done, added vertical stabs that I found from plans for a Cessna Skymaster by Timmy P. I'd made them from a previous plane and intended to make them moveable rudders, but I didn't need rudder on this plane, so i just glued them back straight again.

Attachments

• IMG_20190623_121404-01.jpeg
    IMG_20190623_121404-01.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

duckduckgoose

A closer look at the fuselage, I used the power nose reversed for the back and the glider nose for the front. With a few adjustments, the tessellated quite nicely. unfortunately, when I went to balance the plane, I found it was still really tail heavy Even with a 3000mah 4s in the nose. So I needed to extend the nose
IMG_20190623_122832-01.jpeg
IMG_20190623_122835-01.jpeg

duckduckgoose

I made a nose extension that just fit around the original nose to extend it out about 20 cm. Unfortunately, I was in a hurry to get this thing finished before it got dark and I forgot to take pictures but here it is afterwards. I just put a simple folding flap on-top and held it down with a rubber band. Ready for the maiden.
IMG_20190623_172304-01.jpeg

duckduckgoose

Maiden! First flight went surprisingly great, without any "unmitigated disaster" and actually really surprised me with how well it flew. It was very stable, flew slow really well, flew fast just as good and glided smoothly. Thanks to the 2216 1250kv motor and the 8x6 prop, I had unlimited climb and it could go straight up as far as I could see. Super pleased with this experiment. My twin boom collection grows... Video coming soon
Screenshot_20190623-210914-01.jpeg
Screenshot_20190623-211003-01.jpeg
IMG_20190623_172310-01.jpeg

duckduckgoose

Thanks, it was loads of fun., I wasn't sure where it would lead me, but it turned out great. Already thinking about making an extended simple cub wing and building another!

duckduckgoose

Close call today in two respects. 1st, I nearly got wiped out by a wedge tailed eagle (Australia's bald eagle equivalent) 3 separate times in the same flight and 2nd, one of my tail booms came loose shortly after launch and just kinda bounced around all through the flight, but I had no idea as I was flying fpv (with Q6 pointed backwards). Luckily the 2nd boom held out like a champ and I made it back. It did feel a bit dicey in the air, but it was quite windy so I ignored it. Time to reinforce that thing. Phew!
IMG_20190629_122649_935.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 12.44.47 pm.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 12.44.47 pm.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 12.44.47 pm.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

duckduckgoose

*Long sigh* Well damn. Lost control due to receiver binding issue that I have noticed for a while but never figured out what was causing it. After buying another Turnigy receiver for my 9x, I binded it (or at least thought I did) and switched between the two. Looks like they half binded, enough to fly around close by but as soon as I got more than 300meters away it just locks up, sometimes I regain control, others not so much. Lost pretty much all fragile electronics (lipo, fpv camera lens, hd recorder, receiver) and most of the plane is trashed. I guess I had to learn about checking bind status sooner or later. Also trashed my goblin today same way but stupidly didn't think about why it happened. guess I learned something . Also, should have setup failsafe
IMG_20190629_210251.jpg
IMG_20190629_153348.jpg

Last edited:

duckduckgoose

Update: I originally intended to simply rebuild the fuselage as was, but I have decided to use the simple cub fuselage instead as a pusher! I needed to chop the tail off where it begins tapering off, which leaves it a little too short to Ballance the COG so I will build a new tail section to add onto the back to make the nose longer. It feels right that the simple cub is being reunited with its wing haha. Another advantage is that if I feel like it I could also use a push/pull configuration like a Cessna Skymaster, which would be extremely over powered but could generate intriguing results.
IMG_20190721_134919.jpg
IMG_20190721_134927.jpg
IMG_20190721_134947.jpg

mayan

Legendary member
Close call today in two respects. 1st, I nearly got wiped out by a wedge tailed eagle (Australia's bald eagle equivalent) 3 separate times in the same flight and 2nd, one of my tail booms came loose shortly after launch and just kinda bounced around all through the flight, but I had no idea as I was flying fpv (with Q6 pointed backwards). Luckily the 2nd boom held out like a champ and I made it back. It did feel a bit dicey in the air, but it was quite windy so I ignored it. Time to reinforce that thing. Phew! View attachment 134778 View attachment 134780
I have to say that these are some awesome pictures! Really a good reason to have a camera onboard at all times :).