FT Sparrow build help

TArthur99

Hey guys!
I am starting my first ever scratch build by flight test and decided to build the sparrow as its probably the easiest to build.
I have printed out the plans and I am getting ready to cut out the parts but I am unsure about something.
what is the best way to get the lines that tell you were and what to cut from the paper onto to foam-board? I was thinking a sharpie?(would that leak through the paper and onto the foam enough to see?)
what do you guys do when you build from scratch?

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Hey guys!
I am starting my first ever scratch build by flight test and decided to build the sparrow as its probably the easiest to build.
I have printed out the plans and I am getting ready to cut out the parts but I am unsure about something.
what is the best way to get the lines that tell you were and what to cut from the paper onto to foam-board? I was thinking a sharpie?(would that leak through the paper and onto the foam enough to see?)
what do you guys do when you build from scratch?

I tape the paper plans together, then roughly cut around the edges of the pieces. Then I tape the pieces of the plans to foamboard and simply cut through the plans into the foamboard. Start in the middle and work your way out, that way the plans stay fixed to the board until you cut the very last external lines.

If it's something I plan to build multiple times, then I print the plans out on cardstock to make templates for tracing, or glue the paper plans to posterboard for the same concept. When making templates I cut little slots for the internal lines so that I can draw through the templates onto the foamboard for reference marks.

I usually tape the entire sheet of plans together and lightly glue to the foam board with a glue stick, few dabs in the corners etc, then i take a ball point pen and with light pressure trace out the entire set of plans. Makes it easy to see score cuts, etc. And the plans are re-usable. Just another method, may not be the best by any means. What this does is leave an impression in the surface behind so you can cut them out.

ttprigg

I glue the plans to poster board and cut that first. I trace the templates for the cut lines and I use a strait T pin to mark the 50% scores and layout lines.
This preserves the plans for future builds

Jimmyp

I cut the plans around the outside lines and tape the to the foam. The I poke holes through all the 50% cut lines enough that when I take the plans off later I can use my ruler to put on the marks and complete the cuts. I then cut the outside shape and remove the plan. This may I can save the plan for a second build.

mrwis@yahoo.com

I just keep it really simple. After I print, cut, and tape the plans I just layout the piece on the foam board, hold it down, and trace it very lightly with a .5mm pencil. Most of the lines are staight and i cut them with a large metal ruler so having full dark lines is really not necessary. Also keeping it light and it being pencil keeps it from showing and it can easily be erased if needed. For score cuts and indicators i put a small whole in the paper at strategic points and then mark the foam through them and then either use a staight edge to mark them after removing the paper or just use it to cut the score cut directly.

Never had an issue using this simple method and it's super fast. All the better to get to glue faster and in the air.