FT Sparrow Builders'/Owners' Thread

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Have a couple of Sparrow gliders built already. Giving them to my nephews. :)

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Think I might build one tonight. Minwax is drying on some of my other projects, and I have lots of mini electronics just lying around.

Drew this up to accommodate a standard mighty mini pod. I have enough pods ready to go that I don't want to bother making another different one that has to be glued in.

PDF:
FT Sparrow Swappable Pod Mod - Beta v.1

Dunno why they didn't set it up to take the standard pod from the beginning. It's only a couple extra parts, but I guess they were going for as simple as possible.

Think I might build one tonight. Minwax is drying on some of my other projects, and I have lots of mini electronics just lying around.

Drew this up to accommodate a standard mighty mini pod. I have enough pods ready to go that I don't want to bother making another different one that has to be glued in.

PDF:
FT Sparrow Swappable Pod Mod - Beta v.1

Dunno why they didn't set it up to take the standard pod from the beginning. It's only a couple extra parts, but I guess they were going for as simple as possible.

Wow! Awesome job! I'm building a Sparrow right now, and I'll definitely do this mod. Thanks!

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Wow! Awesome job! I'm building a Sparrow right now, and I'll definitely do this mod. Thanks!

I'm building one as well. Hope this mod works. Let me know if there are issues if you beat me to it.

Hey Sponz, think I found a mistake on the plans. Looks like there should be a score cut line on the fuselage rather than cut through lines, or you'll end up with the fuse in 3 pieces. Unless that's how it's supposed to be, I haven't watched the build video yet.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Noticed that I misjudged the width which made the rear fuse doublers not fit. I've re-sized them and updated the mod pdf.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Is the CG mark on the plans in the correct spot? In the build video, they are much further back. As things stand now, balance isn't even close to the plans, even with a 1300mah 3s all the way up in the nose.

Is the CG mark on the plans in the correct spot? In the build video, they are much further back. As things stand now, balance isn't even close to the plans, even with a 1300mah 3s all the way up in the nose.

I balanced mine out with the CG mark dead on the center of the flat flap on the bottom of the wing:

Photo on 2-18-16 at 4.17 PM.jpg

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
The CG mark is correct on the plans. I think whatever they had in the video was wrong, that or I'm just seeing things. The plans do seem to be missing another score cut though - the one that's there for the tip of the nose.

With an F pack motor with 6 inch prop, and spacing the motor out enough to just enough for the prop tips to miss the tail feathers, you need a lot of nose weight to balance the plane. Took 40 grams worth of instamorph and 30 carbine bullets to get the plane to balance, with a 1300mAh 3s battery. If you want to use a smaller battery you'll need even more weight.

Now, all that weight really isn't bad unless you want to get under the 250 limit. With the above setup, my weight came in at 301 grams, which really isn't heavy for all the wing area you get.

It flys ok for a 3 channel, but trying to turn against the prop torque is a lot harder than the other direction. Adding ailerons would solve that issue.

I think I'm going to draw up a whole modified version of the sparrow, build specifically to handle the F pack better. I plan to make the nose longer, give a bit more room to fit batteries, add ailerons, and make up an FPV nose.

dutchmonkey

It flys ok for a 3 channel, but trying to turn against the prop torque is a lot harder than the other direction. Adding ailerons would solve that issue.

are you using the mini power pod if so the right thrust of the pod might be causing it. All my pusher planes have the motor square to the plane. This is probably why they skipped the power pod on the sparrow. Also in the video josh's orange sparrow is the only one out of the group with out ailerons.

akarmy

Also in the video josh's orange sparrow is the only one out of the group with out ailerons.

Sure would be nice to get someone in the known to weigh in on the aileron vs not question. Is there a reason they removed them? etc.... it's clear they have built both versions for the episode but no reference to that in any of the materials.

How about it FliteTest guys?

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
are you using the mini power pod if so the right thrust of the pod might be causing it. All my pusher planes have the motor square to the plane. This is probably why they skipped the power pod on the sparrow. Also in the video josh's orange sparrow is the only one out of the group with out ailerons.

That certainly would cause issues. Probably to the point of being unflyable. I was using a mini pod without right thrust, and my motor is perfectly straight. Not all the mighty mini planes need right thrust, so you glue the firewall onto the back of the pod.

I've got video of a flight uploading.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Here's the maiden. Which lasted all of 3 seconds. :cool:

Was really hoping the CG was wrong. Added 40 grams more weight and all was well aside from the slow roll in one direction. Maybe I should angle my motor a bit to compensate. One side is very fast, one side is very slow.

I suppose it's possible I messed up on the build. Maybe the tail feathers aren't quite lined up.

Jimmyp

I did a quick build last night and did a maiden in the back yard. Just used an old motor I had kicking around. 1450kv with 3s battery and 7x4 prop. The yard is not big enough to get the feel for this plane. Seemed to have crazy torque roll and way too much throws. i should learn to use the throw gauge. After a crash off the roof I gave up for today. I will try again in a bigger area and figure this little bird out.

kacknor

Build another!
Here's the maiden. Which lasted all of 3 seconds. :cool:

Was really hoping the CG was wrong. Added 40 grams more weight and all was well aside from the slow roll in one direction. Maybe I should angle my motor a bit to compensate. One side is very fast, one side is very slow.

I suppose it's possible I messed up on the build. Maybe the tail feathers aren't quite lined up.

localfeind, did you use the actual a pack 1806-2280 on this? I bet that 16 gram - 1700 HexTronik would fly it reasonable enough for the less experienced flyer this thing is going attract. I'm using them on FT-Scout and a HK Bonsai an both fly very nice.

JD

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
localfeind, did you use the actual a pack 1806-2280 on this? I bet that 16 gram - 1700 HexTronik would fly it reasonable enough for the less experienced flyer this thing is going attract. I'm using them on FT-Scout and a HK Bonsai an both fly very nice.

JD

No, I'm using an F pack, which is why I want to make changes. I'm not saying anything is wrong with the design if you build it the way FT recommends, my woes are self inflicted. I've overpowered mine and am using a 6" prop, both of which throw the CG out of wack.

earthsciteach

Don't know if the aileron question was answered yet, but it is my understanding the the aileron version flew worse than the non-aileron version.