FT Sparrow Builders'/Owners' Thread

Ross

Received and installed the electronics today, In order to get it slightly nose down, CG wise, I had to fill a roll of pennies the width of the inside of the fuselage and stuff them in the nose. Seems like a lot of weight but it balances perfect with that. Still need to fly it and I can't wait.

SP14.JPG

Ross

V-Tail setup question. Flysky FST6 transmitter is strange to say the least, I'm all configured for v-tail and when looking from the back of the plane when I call for a right turn, should the right side go up and left side go down or the other way around? Thanks

Winglet

Hi Ross...

When you call for a right turn the right side should go right (which looks like down) and the left side should also go right (which looks like up) I know, that doesn't seem right but it is. I don't know your transmitter but you probably need to set it up for elevons?

Did you get everything you needed in the mail?

Ross

Yes, I have some xt30 connectors on the way to make a charging cable but everything else is here. Your answer is the only thing I can't get to work so far on this Flysky FST6 transmitter. I'll keep plugging away but my turns are backwards. I'l go back and try elevons again but I don't think that worked before. I'll fix it some how.

Winglet

It is a puzzle sometimes. Might have to reverse some servos? Wish I knew more about the Flysky. On a motivational note. I put a couple of hours on mine today. The weather was perfect so took advantage of it. I really enjoy flying this one.

Ross

Got it!! Sleep on it and start fresh always works. Elevon setup on this radio is wrong but v-tail can be setup correctly. This radio insisted on using ch 2 and 4 in v-tail but I found the right configuration. Thanks for listening winglet, much appreciated.

Winglet

Well Ross, sounds like you are about ready to go! Problem solving is one of the things that make these models so rewarding. They are all a problem. Right from the beginning they are sort of like a puzzle. Once you finally put all the pieces together correctly you are rewarded with flight!

Let me know how your first flights go. Ran another 9 packs thru mine today.

BlackSheep1

I was wondering about the minwax thing, If I build one of the sparrows and want to put minwax on it that kind should I get? the spray or the type you put on with a brush?
thanks

Just add foam

DON"T use the spray.. It does go on nice but with in minutes the paper started coming away from the foam. Lie a goof I was rushing and should of tried it on a spare piece if foam first... Now i have to make a new wing. :(

Winglet

Now flyng Sparrow number 2

Test flew my second Sparrow using the extended nose plans yesterday. It flew perfectly. Really didn't change much from my first one. I did add bbq skewers to the lower portion of the tail fens to keep the wing from digging into it. That was about it. This one is painted in Krylon also. No Minwax needed if you build it with Ross or Flitetest board. Used a little different method painting this time. Painted the fuse before gluing it together. That worked out well. Great airplane. And no you don't need no stinking ailerons. Elevons take care of that. Even Josh says it flys better without them. sparrow3.JPG sparrow2.JPG sparrow 1.JPG sparrow4.JPG sparrow5.JPG sparrow6.JPG

StarLite

I maidened my Sparrow today, but I found it very hard to control it, especially on the roll axis.
I am wondering if my Mixes are setup properly. I'm using a futaba TX and I have the plane setup as a flying wing with 2 ailerons. The control surfaces seem to move in the correct direction and the plane is somewhat controllable in flight, but it didn't really feel right.

Should I set it up as a normal airplane with a V-tail instead, or is flying wing the correct choice for the sparrow?

StarLite

My control surfaces were moving in the right directions etc, but I was just wondering if it would be better to use 'normal airplane with v-tail' mixing, or 'flying wing'. I can imagine the normal flying wing mix might not be ideal because the tailerons are at 90 degree instead of (almost) flat for a normal flying wing.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
On most radios, moving between V-tail and flying wing will move the yaw/roll control from one stick to the other (V-tail it's on the rudder, Wing/Elevon, it's on the ailerons)

Mix wise, they're typically identical, except which stick is mapped to it. Most prefer elevons for 3-channel to keep it on one stick, but that's up to your personal taste.

Ross

On most radios, moving between V-tail and flying wing will move the yaw/roll control from one stick to the other (V-tail it's on the rudder, Wing/Elevon, it's on the ailerons)

Mix wise, they're typically identical, except which stick is mapped to it. Most prefer elevons for 3-channel to keep it on one stick, but that's up to your personal taste.

Yes I left that part out in my earlier post, mine is v-tail in sticks mode 4. Only way it works properly for me.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Sorry Ross, I wasn't commenting on your workaround -- go with what works for 'ya :)

I was answering Starlite's question.

PaiRaN

Hi there ... we just launched our little Sparrow :) Hard to get over here in Europe btw

Last edited:

GremlinRC

FT_Nut
Hi there ... we just launched our little Sparrow :)

Nice job guys, looks like it flies great. Just one little comment, please be very careful throwing it by holding the fuselage, you could easily catch the prop on the back of your hand. Throw it by the wing instead.