FT Sparrow Builders'/Owners' Thread

PaiRaN

Thanks for the hint! the distance to the prop is not that far. For the greater birds we have some gloves which are made for security people- ... a knife can't cut them. Perhaps its about time to use them ;)

russj48

russj48
Banggood Sparrow?

Did anyone else see this on Banggood?

01cf3689-0448-41f7-9af9-b8a095e34f66.jpg

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Nope. It's an entire clone kit.

Can't really even blame Banggood -- they're just a reseller -- and nothing substantial you can do to the OEM, since the plans wouldn't be protected by copyright in their country.

Not the first time it's happened -- the last just before this was a FT Barron cut and sold in India (with links to FT's videos for instructions :p ) -- and this won't be the last. FT would loose more far trying to prevent this than they would gain -- I for one am thrilled FT still publishes their plans openly, and it does the community good.

Best way to fight this . . . buy a Sparrow SBK ;)

New Sparrow - Second Build

I re-purposed the Sparrow Chuck Glider I built my 3 year old. He was excited and had fun with it for a couple of days before loosing interest. I'm sure he'll want it back once he sees it fly on the weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_20170602_004840.jpg
    IMG_20170602_004840.jpg
    802.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20170602_005035.jpg
    IMG_20170602_005035.jpg
    723.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20170602_005438.jpg
    IMG_20170602_005438.jpg
    628.2 KB · Views: 1

slbovey

A crazy little thing called the sparrow !

Maidened mine today - blimey it was a bit of a handful but such fun - didn't go above half throttle much as it didn't need it - learnt by the end of the flight that to get it to turn you need some throttle.
I've gone from an FT flyer to this - quite a step up but want to fly it again now but its work time :(

As others have mentioned the tail fins are getting damage from the wing moving - i'll try using tape to protect it as i'm trying to keep weight down - UK foam means an all up weight of 400grams but it doesn't have shift ! - next time i'd build it with the longer nose so the CG is easier - everything i can is in the nose and it still needed a roll of coins.

rx2.JPG

hudieracing

FT mini Sparrow 200%?

does any body here build a giant mini sparrow? hows the flying characteristics compared to the original?

I have plan to build a mini talon from polyfoam/depron, however I couldnot find the right plan for it.
Therefore, I have idea to use Ft mini Sparrow to build a mini talon (the body characteristics of them are slightly similar right?)

Thanks

does any body here build a giant mini sparrow? hows the flying characteristics compared to the original?

I have plan to build a mini talon from polyfoam/depron, however I couldnot find the right plan for it.
Therefore, I have idea to use Ft mini Sparrow to build a mini talon (the body characteristics of them are slightly similar right?)

Thanks

I think someone did. You can search the thread or search the entire Forum :). My guess is that a giant one would be a lot floatier and quite slow.

33joe

Hi

I am builder from Slovakia, so I do not have a DTFB I use another kind of foam so I have some times problems for example with CG, or I have to use bigger motors.

Recently I build an FT Sparrow, but I had to make its nose a bit longer because of CG. It flew only straight and when I tried to turn it always fall straight to ground. So I decided to add ailerons to the wing and it helped. The Sparrow flew nicely. I like this concept a lot, but after 3 flights it never flew again. It again started to fall at turns. I thought the problem was in the V-tail, because it took some beating. Since the V-tail and also whole frame was quiet beat up after crashes I decided to make a new frame with a conventional tail. So my Sparrow now is 3 channel ailerons and elevator.
But for my surprise it also flies only straight and when turning it falls. Here is the video from maiden.

Any sugestions how to fix it?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
With the tail being short-coupled you will need to consider making it a "V" tail again. The conventional elevator is in the disturbed airflow from the main wing and would be less effective than it should be.

As for it falling in a turn I suspect that your CG is a little too far forward and you are not using rudder to balance your turns.

Just my thoughts!

have fun!

Ricci

Posted a thousand or more times
Searching for a model that will fit to a spare BL1504 motor i have i decided to build a sparrow. Nice little plane. And if it can fly by throwing it will also fly with the BL 1504 on a 2s lipo. My mini scout weight 160 gramm complet with ailerons pilot and landing gear ( excluding lipo) so i think the 115 gramm thrust of the BL1504 will be enough for relaxing parkfly

Ricci

Hi mates, the glider part is done. To keep it light weight i used my selfmade foam.
It weights 108 gramm.

IMG_3963.JPG

IMG_3960.JPG

IMG_3961.JPG

And this is the foamboard. Isolation material 5mm laminated with package paper glued with spray glue.
Build time including printing and cutting plans, make the foamboard and build was 3 hours.

IMG_3962.JPG

Tomorrow i will mount the motor and electronic.

33joe

With the tail being short-coupled you will need to consider making it a "V" tail again. The conventional elevator is in the disturbed airflow from the main wing and would be less effective than it should be.

As for it falling in a turn I suspect that your CG is a little too far forward and you are not using rudder to balance your turns.

Just my thoughts!

have fun!

thx for advice,

I tried diferent CG, but nothing works :(

Ricci

Motor is mounted,

IMG_3964.JPG

And with this selfmade 1200mah 2s i expect to get the CG without too much additional weight

IMG_3965.JPG

Ricci

My Sparrow is ready for maiden.
The cg fits without additional weight.

The motor cables. Connected inside with 2mm bullet connectors.

IMG_3968.JPG

The flight ready weight with 60 gramm lipo is 230 gramm so the Weight/thrust ratio is 0,5. not a rocket but think enough for relax parkfly.

IMG_3967.JPG

And that is how it looks inside: orange receiver, 12A bullet Opto ESC, micro BEC, 2 digital metal gear 5 gramm Servo and 1200 mah 2s lipo.

IMG_3970.JPG

Ricci

Maiden successful! Flys great as expected! We have made videos with a quad i have to cut and then i will post.
With a bigger motor wil be real Fun! I will calculate how much the nose has to be length to get the CG without additional weight with a 850 mah 3s

Ricci

This is the maiden video. The video taken from the air has to be cut.

Ricci

I have a new Idea for a "crazy sparrow " what do you think about 600gramm thrust by 350 gramm weight?

Morgan

Hey guys I have heard that have had difficulty getting the cg right .if you have built one and can't get the cg all you have those do is mount your motor tractor style and it works great!☺

themistocles3

power pod sparrow mod question

Think I might build one tonight. Minwax is drying on some of my other projects, and I have lots of mini electronics just lying around.

Drew this up to accommodate a standard mighty mini pod. I have enough pods ready to go that I don't want to bother making another different one that has to be glued in.

PDF:
FT Sparrow Swappable Pod Mod - Beta v.1

Dunno why they didn't set it up to take the standard pod from the beginning. It's only a couple extra parts, but I guess they were going for as simple as possible.

Beautiful plans! I'm about to install this mod and wonder if I understand this correctly. You peel the paper off of the lower pod mount and the doublers? Then taper the lower trailing edge of the mount? So far I have it? Why peel the doublers?

Thanks!