FT Spear build.

Tdugar

I'm gonna build a Spear. I have an action cam that would be nice to mount to catch the crash lol wish me luck
15784448595535442036357249301663.jpg

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
The FT Spear is a great plane. I had one before and I loved flying it. The only thing that was a pain for me was hand launching it. I never really learned it, so one day I decided to do one launch after the other until it works. Unfortunately after 4 attempts one of my linkage stoppers let go the push rod causing a spectacular death spiral from 100 meters into a row of bushes. That was the end of my FT Spear :cry: ... but it lives on in my "Bavarian RC" Logo :love:
But I am sure it wasn't my last Spear. Until then I'll follow your build. Have fun!
IMG_0065.JPG

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
The FT Spear is a great plane. I had one before and I loved flying it. The only thing that was a pain for me was hand launching it. I never really learned it, so one day I decided to do one launch after the other until it works. Unfortunately after 4 attempts one of my linkage stoppers let go the push rod causing a spectacular death spiral from 100 meters into a row of bushes. That was the end of my FT Spear :cry: ... but it lives on in my "Bavarian RC" Logo :love:
But I am sure it wasn't my last Spear. Until then I'll follow your build. Have fun!
View attachment 153765
Ouch! Was that using a b pack motor?

Tdugar

View attachment 153765
Aww man she was absolutely gorgeous I hope you build another one I'll definitely follow

evranch

Ouch, what a crash! The wing held together pretty well considering, though. I use clevis type rod ends instead of linkage stoppers, they are easy to adjust and never come loose. I was intimidated by hand launching wings myself until I tried my Spear last week. It turns out it's way easier than it looks.

I did try out a recommendation which was to pick up a piece of scrap wood and toss it around the yard with the same grip, to make sure it flies straight and has no spin. After a couple tosses I had plenty of confidence for the plane.

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
Ouch, what a crash! The wing held together pretty well considering, though. I use clevis type rod ends instead of linkage stoppers, they are easy to adjust and never come loose. I was intimidated by hand launching wings myself until I tried my Spear last week. It turns out it's way easier than it looks.

I did try out a recommendation which was to pick up a piece of scrap wood and toss it around the yard with the same grip, to make sure it flies straight and has no spin. After a couple tosses I had plenty of confidence for the plane.
After that crash I don‘t use those linkage stoppers any more, I just make 2 z-bends. But for sure this is not so easy to adjust. How do you attach the clevis type rod ends to the rod? Can you post a picture?
Throwing a piece of scrap wood... what a simple and good idea. I will test that!

Tdugar

Finally made it back home to finish cutting out my spear.🥵🤪😳🤪🥵🤪😳🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
Going to get something to eat and then start building

Attachments

• 15785293533685653181615308078800.jpg
    15785293533685653181615308078800.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

evranch

The clevises thread onto the end of a threaded pushrod, and you thread them in and out to adjust the length. You can buy them separately, but I just buy them with the rods at my LHS for about a dollar. You can get them in plastic or in steel. Here is a set on the FT store: https://store.flitetest.com/dubro-256-rod-w-spring-steel-kwiklink-12-5-dub185/p25510

Use the clevis on one end and make a Z-bend on the other. The rods that come with them are the perfect hardness for bending. They make Z-bends easily with pliers but don't flex in the air. I usually don't bother to secure my rods with straws and such like Josh does in the videos, unless I'm making a really long run.