451.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2023 Spitfire Middle Cockpit.stl
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 2023 Spitfire Front Cowl.stl
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

tomlogan1

Elite member
Hope these work for your!
Thanks for doing these! Strangely, they would not load for me into Cura 4.x or 5.x but when I tried Prusa slicer it asked me to change from inches to mm and it sliced the files. Looks like a lot of 8+hour print jobs but thanks and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Hope these work for your!
Could you provide your Cura settings? Prusa sliced them but they would not print on the Ender 3 pro. Just pushed out filament like a fire hose.

Brian B

Elite member
The STL imported into Cura at 9.388mm length, so setting the scale % from 100 to 2540%, it increases to correct 9.388" tall. I printed without support and on a standard raft. I don't know how to use the fine controls that well, but I didn't like the way it choose the middle of a curve as stop/start points. Should it be remodelled to fix that somehow?
20230810_182030.jpg

tomlogan1

Elite member
Using Cura 5.1.0-beta+304. And Ender-3 with generic PLA. What other settings could you use?
I've an Ender 3 Pro, basic settings, however, when I load one of the stl files they are just tiny specs on the bed. I have 4.13.1 and 5.4.0 loaded. Just pulled up the rear turtle deck. Looks like a spec on the display. Screen says 1.6 x 2.1 x 9.4 mm. Slices at 0 minutes with 0g and 0.0mm.

Scratching my head as to what I've done wrong.

Did relevel the bed and the Prusa slices are printing but not confident on the final product.

Still gonna figure it out one way or another. Will keep in touch if it is not too much of a bother.

tomlogan1

Elite member
The STL imported into Cura at 9.388mm length, so setting the scale % from 100 to 2540%, it increases to correct 9.388" tall. I printed without support and on a standard raft. I don't know how to use the fine controls that well, but I didn't like the way it choose the middle of a curve as stop/start points. Should it be remodelled to fix that somehow? View attachment 239413
Reread this note. Multiplied as you suggested in Cura and it sliced (much better than Prusa) and should print just fine. Thank you.

tomlogan1

Elite member
Glad to hear SOMEONE finally got my lousy files working! I'm still new to 3D printing. Next I need to start burning wood with a new laser.
Did both the 3d and foam board on a quick & dirty assembly as a proof of concept. The additional weight of the 3d printed parts didn't matter a bit in terms of performance. Plane flies great. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 3d spit.jpg
    3d spit.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Brian B

Elite member
Looks good. I use auto red spot glaze putty with lots of sanding to completely smooth out the surface. The upper front foamboard sides can be trimmed to let the cowl sit lower, and a big 2 1/4" spinner caps it off nicely. I need to make another one!

tomlogan1

Elite member
Looks good. I use auto red spot glaze putty with lots of sanding to completely smooth out the surface. The upper front foamboard sides can be trimmed to let the cowl sit lower, and a big 2 1/4" spinner caps it off nicely. I need to make another one!
Going for the production copy. Lowered the temperature on the printer by 10 degrees and the results are much better. Absolutely zero stringing on any of the pieces. One finished one in process of printing.

Attachments

• IMG_20230817_183820296_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230817_183820296_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230817_183842446.jpg
    IMG_20230817_183842446.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0