FT Spitfire Build

Bigeard

I've built 3 FT Spitfires so far so but only flown 2 of them. The first was a SBK and the second and third are scratch built out of DollarTree foam board. I crashed the first one several times until it was no longer repairable. The second one (its my profile picture) is equipped as follows
  • FT Power Pack C - Radial
  • Gens 3s 2200mAh (25C)
  • APC 9 x6 E prop
  • Radio Master R161 receiver
  • Aura 5 Lite
Regarding mods I used my "low profile" power pod

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4978502

I also added fixed landing gear and a steerable tail wheel as I fly at a local club that has a runway.

The plane is a little fast for me as I am not an experienced pilot but the Aura has helped me avoid crashing.

Thanks for that information Spitfire76 , I take it the Aura 5 lite is a kind of reflex gyro / self stabilising ?
In your opinion , what do you think of the mods I have in mind ?
Thanks again
M

Bigeard

I've built 3 FT Spitfires so far so but only flown 2 of them. The first was a SBK and the second and third are scratch built out of DollarTree foam board. I crashed the first one several times until it was no longer repairable. The second one (its my profile picture) is equipped as follows
  • FT Power Pack C - Radial
  • Gens 3s 2200mAh (25C)
  • APC 9 x6 E prop
  • Radio Master R161 receiver
  • Aura 5 Lite
Regarding mods I used my "low profile" power pod

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4978502

I also added fixed landing gear and a steerable tail wheel as I fly at a local club that has a runway.

The plane is a little fast for me as I am not an experienced pilot but the Aura has helped me avoid crashing.

also what is your opinion of the FT Spitfire speed build kit as opposesd to scratch building ?

Spitfire76

Thanks for that information Spitfire76 , I take it the Aura 5 lite is a kind of reflex gyro / self stabilising ?
In your opinion , what do you think of the mods I have in mind ?
Thanks again
M
Yes its a small gyro board that has 3 flight modes that can be selected from the transmitter. Its an added expense on the other hand apart from saving you from crashing it only requires a receiver that has an s.bus output which is usually cheaper than those with PWM outputs.

https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-aura-light

You can of course switch off the "level assist" and fly as if it did not exist but having that ability to switch back is very handy in case you loose control. It also has a mode that makes the plane more resilient to wind turbulence making a small plane feel like a large one. It does require a connection to a windows PC for more advanced configurations.

Regarding your mods - I would not worry too much about adding bracing to the plane, once built its quite robust. If you don't install landing gear then yes some extra strength tape on the bottom would help with those belly landings.

Last edited:

Spitfire76

also what is your opinion of the FT Spitfire speed build kit as opposesd to scratch building ?
SBK vs scratch build ?. its cheaper to scratch build but more work. In the US we can get a 20 x 30 inch sheet of Adams foam board for $1 and I believe the Spitfire requires about 4 to 5 sheets. Even so it still hurts when I crash. In the case of my second build it was the camouflage paint job that took most of the time but built it during the shutdowns last year so had plenty of time to spare.

Last edited:

Bigeard

Yes its a small gyro board that has 3 flight modes that can be selected from the transmitter. Its an added expense on the other hand apart from saving you from crashing it only requires a receiver that has an s.bus output which is usually cheaper than those with PWM outputs.

https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-aura-light

You can of course switch off the "level assist" and fly as if it did not exist but having that ability to switch back is very handy in case you loose control. It also has a mode that makes the plane more resilient to wind turbulence making a small plane feel like a large one. It does require a connection to a windows PC for more advanced configurations.

Regarding your mods - I would not worry too much about adding bracing to the plane, once built its quite robust. If you don't install landing gear then yes some extra strength tape on the bottom would help with those belly landings.

Thanks for the info Spitfire76

Bigeard

almost done. paint is drying on canopy, then just need to set throws and expo. will maiden tomorrow morning.

View attachment 119929

yup, teaching has become almost a 4 letter word in AZ. no respect, no pay, no nothing but grief. i have been in district since 2005, have 2 college degrees in teaching, plus receive a $4,000 additional stipend for "hard to fill" position and i barely make $40,000 a year. if i wasn't already a disabled vet and receiving a retirement and benefits from the VA, i couldn't afford to be a teacher. we should be embarrassed at our efforts to educated the next generation. gonna and up with a bunch of entitled kids with no clue how to do anything if the internet goes down.

laters,

me :cool:
Nice Spit By the way ! Regarding entitled kids ! must be the same in many first world countries , I am from the old school of hard knocks and it absolutely grieves me to watch these pampered pooches take everything as if expected but to give nothing back in return , least of all respect ! rant over