FT Spitfire Build

sidneylopsides

Mine is 780 grams, and that is with a really heavy motor and 3s 2200 LiPo (but paperless Depron instead of foamboard, don't know if it's that much lighter). I too was worried about the weight.
It feels amazingly light in the air, loops of less than 2 meter across, flies at almost walking pace. I would guess that yours will fly just fine.

Thanks for the reply! I haven't weighed mine with the new battery yet (rubbish weather so can't paint or fly) but I think it's comes out more like yours now.

I've added two fronts of BBQ skewers to look like cannons, built up racks of skewer ends to act as exhausts, and have an idea for the cockpit. I think I'll build something like the cockpit for my Bixler, a foam base, front and back former to hold the coke bottle canopy in shape. Mount it with velcro or a magnet.

daveh

Hi all, really interested in building the Spitfire but I'm in the UK so can't get the same sort of foam board with the paper backing. I see some people have used Depron, how are you finding it, do you have to alter the plans at all and how are you overcoming the lack of paper backing as it seems to be integral to the build with the different types of bends they mention.

Cheers

sidneylopsides

Yeah, looks the same as what they use. I don't remember the seller though sorry. I've had two types, both worked well pack of 10 sheets about £22.

sidneylopsides

That looks like the first batch I got! That seems identical to what is in the videos.
A1 is The right size. Easily fits everything on.

daveh

Oh right, I was looking at the PDF plans and it say they are 35x29in which is bigger than the A1 paper size. I'll get the plans printed and see how it works out.

sidneylopsides

Yeah, the Spitfire plans are larger than normal. Doesn't take much shuffling to make it fit though. The wings will come from one sheet if lined up better.

daveh

Great I'll get some ordered then :) Got a load of 6mm Depron on it's way to build a couple of RCPowers jets but the Spitfire might have to be built first! lol I know the FT guys say in one of the videos that it would make a good trainer but what do you think to it as a first plane?

sidneylopsides

Is that first build or first plane ever? To be honest, for either of those answers I'd say start with the Nutball and work through.
They all teach you a bit about building with that foam, and how to fly.
The BBQ skewers and reinforced packing tape can be found in asda by the way!

strows

Great I'll get some ordered then :) Got a load of 6mm Depron on it's way to build a couple of RCPowers jets but the Spitfire might have to be built first! lol I know the FT guys say in one of the videos that it would make a good trainer but what do you think to it as a first plane?

I would suggest the FT-FLYER for the first plane, It's a perfect trainer and an easy build. It may not look it but the NUTBALL is a bit harder to fly than the FT-FLYER.
Once you get good at flying any of those two build your self the FT-DELTA. You will learn to bank and yank on this plane. Bank and Yank is needed to control the jets from RCPowers.
I've built the F22 v2 from RCPowers and I was pretty happy with it (F22 v2 is not for beginner like they say).

Best of luck on your builds and flights.

daveh

Thanks for the info guys, I'll look at the planes you suggest. I'll still build the spitfire and save it as motivation to get good :)

sidneylopsides

I found the Bloody Wonder to be an awesome flyer, personally I'd build that rather than the Delta. On low rates it's almost a trainer. It flies superbly

sidneylopsides

Took mine out for it's maiden, as I've had a while to get it prepared I found I had it trimmed and balanced perfectly. No adjustments needed at all! Lovely flier, feels nice and scale to me, big slow loops and rolls compared to my other planes. Looks great in the air!
Now I know it's sound I've started to paint it, but my base green colour ha run out! No where is open today I can buy more from, so it'll have to wait a while before it looks right :p

rallyman

Howdy all - here is my contribution to " Spitfiremania ". Not flown yet. Used tremclad spray cans - black and grey. Hired expert pilot - what else can I say.....
June2013SpitfireBest.JPG June2013PlanesSpitGoodFr34.JPG June2013PlanesSpitfireAcePilot.JPG

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Finally had a few quiet minutes today to fully assess the damage on mine from last weekend. Not as bad as I thought...other than the entire front wing attachment separating from the fuse.

But a bit of hot glue and some white duct tape...and it will fly again. The front turtle deck is a little tore up...but should be ok. Also had to replace the firewall on my pod - split the tops of the holes (seems like a major weak point on the pod design, I tear through those all the time.)

Probably won't have a chance to fly again this week though...so maybe it's a good thing I picked up some polyurethane to start experimenting with :D

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
Got it built!
0530132330.jpg

Got to fly it...Well, okay..I got impatient. Got the servos all set up, made a nice straight level flight and it flew well! Then into a tree. And another. Then got some good alltitude and it flew great!...until another tree. I thought I was ok, away from the tree, but I think the size of the plane fooled me into thinking it was closer than it was. Well picture shows...time to build another.

0603132038a.jpg

On a side note, got a DX7s...seems to be nice so far...

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
"Got some good altitude then another tree."

Just how tall are the trees where you are? :D