FT Spitfire Build

kevparang

Crash and burn. Work and wind have gotten in the way of launching. It was probably still a little too windy for a beginner and maiden today but I went out anyways. The first lap went ok and I brought her down without incident. The second flight, I got a little impatient trying to trim it level and wasn't high enough to react. Lesson learned. The wing ended up ok but the posts for the wings ripped right out of the fuselage, front and back. Looks like it's time to repair or build a new fuse, maybe this time with tape or something else reinforcing the holes for the wing skewers. Good thing I made posterboard templates.
View attachment 73473

Well dont worry, I actually crash all the time, even with my little gliders.

Kasper

DSC_0423.jpg
DSC_0426.jpg
DSC_0427.jpg
DSC_0428.jpg

My spitfire :D

Bjarne

Maiden flight experience

IMG_0042.jpg

Here is my newly built FT Spitfire before the maiden flight this morning.
I took it off from ground on some tiny wheels, which I might enhance later because the landing was a bit rough.
It flew very well, calm and in control. More in control than me, which had a short adrenalin rush the first 30 seconds.

My experience with the Spitfire compared to my FT Flyer is a big step up!
My Flyer where a bit unstable the last couple of flights, after some crashes, so the flying experience was not so good any longer.
But now I can fly again!

Next things I will do are to enhance the landing wheels and paint it.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
it is a nice plane to fly
I also put landing gear on mine but wish I had made them just a tad taller as i some times cut grass with my prop but she gets in the air so quick that i don't cut much
It looks like you also added a tail wheel I tried but didn't like the results and went with a skid plate

Kasper

I had the same, ft spitfire pushed me more into flying, my skills improved much quicker than with ft flyer so it's just proof that it's a perfect plane for beginners.

dengar256

Just had the maiden flight of my Spitfire and wow everything they say about this plane if true. I was able to get 4 flights in before having to return to work and loved every minute. Had to do a little left trim and down trim on the first flight but it will fly hands off very nicely. I think I have a new go-to plane.

Bjarne

Painted my Spitfire.
Created the markings in Power Point, printed them out on paper, cut them out, sprayed them with lacquer and glued them on.
I am not so satisfied with the grey/green color scheme though, but that is what I could get in the sortiment of spray cans.

IMG_0048.jpg

Painted my Spitfire.
Created the markings in Power Point, printed them out on paper, cut them out, sprayed them with lacquer and glued them on.
I am not so satisfied with the grey/green color scheme though, but that is what I could get in the sortiment of spray cans.

I think it looks great, mine looks like it's been thru lots of fights. (Which is true if you count hard encounters with the ground as loosing a fight)
Still flies thought.

Sterling101

Finally have mine ready for maiden.
Slight change in plans as have made the power pod permanent and built out of lite ply and had to come up with extra strengthening due to using Depron as we don't have access to DTF here in the UK.
Also the plan print out didn't go quite to plan as I now have a 49.5" span instead of the regular 42.5" as I forgot to scale the page border to A0 before sending it off to be printed on an A0 sheet so it was scaled up. Not complaining though as it came in at 721g (25.4 oz) with 2200mah 3S battery so quite happy with the weight for it's size and that's with having lite ply re-enforced wing spars and extra bracing along the fuselage too.
Now waiting for the weather to break so I can maiden it then I'll think about undercarriage...

IMG_20161011_212257.jpg

Fall Flying

My Spitfire DWN still flying after a year. Has been stuck in a tree, landed in a creek, (Fried motor and esc), flown in the snow and crashed after a servo failure.....or brown out. I'll post that one later if I can delete the swearing at the end!!:mad: But repaired and flying better than new! It sure is one tough plane. Enjoy

Last edited:

jaredstrees

Morning everyone! I am about to start assembly tonight on my spit. I've built a few flite test planes and successfully flown the nutball and the flyer. (nut ball is my own design). Also built the blender, but it is a bit squirrely for me yet. Seems the spit is a good move from the flyer to an aileron plane.

My question is this: I have a few spare 370 size 1100kv motors, will these work on the spit? or should I pull the 450 size 1300kv from the blender? I'm not looking for a speed demon yet, just want a slow flier to learn 4 channel on. Thanks for the help!

Kasper

Morning everyone! I am about to start assembly tonight on my spit. I've built a few flite test planes and successfully flown the nutball and the flyer. (nut ball is my own design). Also built the blender, but it is a bit squirrely for me yet. Seems the spit is a good move from the flyer to an aileron plane.

My question is this: I have a few spare 370 size 1100kv motors, will these work on the spit? or should I pull the 450 size 1300kv from the blender? I'm not looking for a speed demon yet, just want a slow flier to learn 4 channel on. Thanks for the help!

im flying it with 1000kv motor and it's perfect, it's not to fast and it's not a slow plane as well, good trainer. I'm using 2200 maH battery and 9x4.7 prop.

Goose

IMG_3750.JPG IMG_3751.JPG

Have a problem with my spitfire. I built it 6 months ago and had the problem of rolling right all the time. I hung it from the roof and ignored it until this week when I decided I have to sort it out. Well I got it flying great today but as in the photo I have to have the ailerons trimmed to the max to get it fly straight. Once I do this it flys well. Not sure what the problem is. I started a thread else where in this forum and tried most things people have suggested. Any other ideas would be appreaciated.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Definitely check your thrust angle first.

If it is wanting to roll when you cut the throttle then I would check my vertical fin alignment, the fuselage for being banana shaped. or the wings having problems.

Wing problems I have experienced in my sons spitfire, wing warped or twisted, The wings not properly aligned when glued together and their angles of attack being different, A trailing edge coming adrift, or the wing spar glue joint failing and the wing upper surface floating in flight.

Just a few things to check!

Goose

Definitely check your thrust angle first.

If it is wanting to roll when you cut the throttle then I would check my vertical fin alignment, the fuselage for being banana shaped. or the wings having problems.

Wing problems I have experienced in my sons spitfire, wing warped or twisted, The wings not properly aligned when glued together and their angles of attack being different, A trailing edge coming adrift, or the wing spar glue joint failing and the wing upper surface floating in flight.

Just a few things to check!

When I cut the throttle it still rolls, so I'm thinking not the thrust angle. I'll look more closely at the wings. The tail and the wings are on the same plane, but maybe if I take the wing off and inspect it.