FT Spitfire Build

Nachtjagd

Hi!
I'd like to try this hobby, this would be the first flight.
I want to inquire how many mm is the cardboard thick?
How much paper size should I print on a PDF plan? A1 or other size

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Hi!
I'd like to try this hobby, this would be the first flight.
I want to inquire how many mm is the cardboard thick?
How much paper size should I print on a PDF plan? A1 or other size
The planes are not made from cardboard, rather they are made of foamboard, light plastic foam sandwiched between thick paper. The foamboard that Flitetest sells is approx 4.8mm thick and is very lightweight making for super flying models. Foamboard available in the rest of the world tends to be 5mm thick and the paper is noticeably thicker making it a lot heavier overall. You could have the full plans printed on A1 paper at a commercial office supplies company but most print the tiled plans on A4/Letter sized paper and tape or glue them together to make the full sized plans.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Hi!
Which size should be used? I found a 2-page PDF plan and printed it out.
When printed out full size they will require 3 sheets of foamboard
fullsize.png

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Hi!
Which size should be used? I found a 2-page PDF plan and printed it out.
The earlier plans are varying size. however the plans for the last 3yrs or so have been ANSI D. (if you print full sized.) Most of us here don't have access to large plotters. Good news! You can have Adobe acrobat print as any size you have, when you select the Poster option under the Page Sizing & Handling section in the print dialog box.

1560345253044.png

This is the sole reason I only print as full sized plans for my designs.

skymaster

Elite member
And it's built. $3 worth of foam board and one day split between playing with my daughter and building! Would have had it done a lot earlier if she had actually taken her full nap today...
View attachment 10049

I did two things slightly different than the video showed. First I reinforced the wing spar with a popsicle stick because...well because I managed to bend the end of the spar while test fitting things. So rather than build a whole new half wing I decided to just beef up the spot that I damaged:
View attachment 10050

The other thing I did a little different is I put packing tape along the bottom surface - because I'll be flying in the desert and landing on rocks and sand. In fact...I may add a layer of duct tape as well since experience tells me without gear even gentle landings will take a tole quickly!

As long as it's not too windy I hope to maiden it tomorrow. Should even have someone along to shoot video if it goes as planned.
hey nice bird and i think Dora is reaching for that bottle.

Javiester

Elite member
I have a problem with the fuselage,
The European foamboard measures 50x70cm and I can't fit the fuselage so I have to do it in two pieces and join them
I planned to expand the fund of former A or C and join it there
What is your opinion?

Flybichou

Hello to you all,
I am rather proud to present my latest scratch build project:
Spitfire prototype K 5054, as flown in 1936.
The wing and tailplane are identical to the FT Spitfire plan, no reason to modify them.
As far as the fuselage is concerned, of course the fin old shape, and a flatter top fuselage design, as soon as possible like the real one.
Much work around the canopy too. Here also the shape is as correct as possible.
613 g fully equipped, so a little less than my first model. Using less hot glue and more white glue when possible is worthwhile.
For CG safety reasons only, just 12 g lead in the front, it will probably be not necessary after the maiden flight.
As usual now:
-roundels in vinyl
-spinner in Depron, with the most authentic shape
-removable landing skid to protect the propeller when landing on cut grass.

I cannot wait the maiden flight, the wind is too strong these days.
Good flights

Olivier
20190822_132431.jpg
20190822_132516.jpg
20190822_132635.jpg
20190822_132654.jpg
20190815_135311.jpg

chris398mx

Master member
Hello to you all,
The wing and tailplane are identical to the FT Spitfire plan, no reason to modify them.
As far as the fuselage is concerned, of course the fin old shape, and a flatter top fuselage design, as soon as possible like the real one.
613 g fully equipped, so a little less than my first model. Using less hot glue and more white glue when possible is worthwhile.
For CG safety reasons only, just 12 g lead in the front, it will probably be not necessary after the maiden flight.
As usual now:
-roundels in vinyl

Good flights

Olivier View attachment 140322 View attachment 140323 View attachment 140324 View attachment 140325 View attachment 140326
Nice looking plane. i hope she fly's well for you.

DazDaMan

Elite member
Been some time since I checked in on this thread - and I still haven't built my Spitfire yet! (Been very busy trying to sell a house - not fun!).

Nice model of K5054.

mach1 rc

Master member
Hello to you all,
As usual now:
-roundels in vinyl

Good flights

Olivier View attachment 140322 View attachment 140323 View attachment 140324 View attachment 140325 View attachment 140326
Looks great. You definitely do way better at details then me.