Spitfire with canopy fitted.....

Attachments

• FT Spit build30.jpg
    FT Spit build30.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 0

The Fopster

Master member
My first flight with the Spit today....

Excellent! Nice job. Looks a tad pitch sensitive - is it maybe slightly tail heavy? You looked to have it well under control so clearly if it is it’s only by a small amount, but worth maybe trying to shift stuff (battery, receiver, ESC) forward a bit if you can?

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
It might well be, so will need to shove the battery forward. It still has the tendency to fly to the right, despite me adding side-thrust.
I have mine as far forward as I can get it with 7 grams of weight added, and I built a cover for the bottom as I find that this model and the FT Racer(which also needs the battery as far forward as possible) have a tendency to eject the battery and cause more damage without it.

DazDaMan

Elite member
Yeah, my landing was a bit harder than I wanted, and the battery popped out. Definitely gonna make a cover.

As for being tail-heavy, mine has 30g under the motor to balance it out. Might still need a bit more, though.

Spitfire76

IMG_2931.JPG
Its been awhile since my last FT Spitfire builds. The first was a SBK and my second a scratch but I don't recall having a problem joining the wings as I have with this recent scratch build. Firstly I noticed that the top and bottoms of each of the wings where they should join are not flush - should they be ?. Secondly should the spar for each wing be the same or should they be mirrored as is the case on the version 1.1 drawing ?.

Bigeard

FREE Build Plans:
FT Spitfire - Swappable [ FULL SIZE ]
FT Spitfire - Swappable [ TILED ]

LazerToyz.com currently has a great electronics package designed specifically for the Baby Blender power pod that will work great for this airplane as well! More details AVAILABLE HERE.

Equipment used in this build:
FTControl Horns
NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 250w
Hextronic 9 Gram Servo
TURNIGY Plush 25amp Speed Controller
Turnigy 1300mAh 4S 20C Lipo Pack
Linkage Stopper "Speed Clevis"
.81mm piano wire (push rods)
Futaba T8FG Super 14ch Transmitter w/R6208SB 2.4GHz Receiver
Futaba R6106HFC 2.4GHz FASST Mid Range 6Ch Rx

Additional/Alternate components:
Suppo 2208/14 1450kv Brushless Motor (Park 370 equiv.)
APC-style Electric Propeller - 8x4E
Suppo 18A Brushless ESC
Suppo SP-90 9g Micro Servo

View attachment 9972 View attachment 9956 View attachment 9958 View attachment 9962 View attachment 9965 View attachment 9966 View attachment 9955 View attachment 9957 View attachment 9964 View attachment 9967 View attachment 9952 View attachment 9951 View attachment 9948 View attachment 9946 View attachment 9947 View attachment 9968 View attachment 9940 View attachment 9954 View attachment 9953 View attachment 9963 View attachment 9961 View attachment 9943 View attachment 9941 View attachment 9942 View attachment 9945 View attachment 9938 View attachment 9944 View attachment 9937 View attachment 9949 View attachment 9950 View attachment 9936 View attachment 9939 View attachment 9969 View attachment 9960 View attachment 9959 View attachment 9970 View attachment 9971
Hello All , OK here I go , after doing as much research and asking many questions on the FT forum regarding my first foam build , I have decided to buy the FT Spitfire speed build kit (when they actually come back into stock in the UK) and give it my best shot . I dont think I will have too many problems with the actual build as over the years I have built various model kits and scratch built boats . The problems I have to overcome now is knowing the best / right electronics to fit into this kit and how to carry out any mods that will improve the flight in general , hence the questions
I intend to strengthen various areas in the kit with thin ply or balsa wood (depending and then when completed I will weigh the finished model and hopefully come back to the forum members for good advice on which size battery to use etc . Obviously I am aware of helping to keep the overall weight reduced as much as possible and would ideally like to make this kit with detachable wings if I think I could make a good job of it . I dont really want to aggressively fly the finished product to the point of increasing the chances of a bad landing / crash that will over damage the plane so nice and easy does it for me within reason. some of the areas I would likely reinforce are the all round nose section , the wing tips and the wing spars (inside the wings) , also also lightly reinforce the inside side fuselage from the wings to the rear of the plane in case of a bad landing that may snap the fuselage behind the wing section ( as Ive seen on some crash videos)
I would also like to fit a 57mm Durbo spinner as I think that is the right size spinner to fit for this particular model ? and due to advice I will stick with a two blade prop ( 9x7) ?? or bigger and I know this probably depends on engine size etc . I am not sure about the right configuration yet regarding fittings and electrics but can anyone give me advice on the use of a RC with reflex gyro (self stabilising) features with beginner and intermediate modes ?
Some of the other mods Im considering are:
Using clear strong film / tape on the undercarriage of fuselage to prevent too much wear / damage (strengthening)
Back the first two formers with thin ply to strengthen area in case of a bad landing ?
Compress the tailing edge of the wings between two pieces of wood to help streamline the plane in flight
I am not sure if the leading edge of the wings are pre rounded but if not then I would fit half round 4mm balsa dowell and tape over the full length to help make the plane more aerodynamic ?
I know this seems a lot to do but I want to give myself and the plane the best chance of a good flight and I really dont mind taking the time to do this , but I would like to know your thoughts on any of these mods and ideas as Im only starting out as a Newbie.
Thanks in anticipation of any advice offered
M

DazDaMan

Elite member
I started building another one, but I binned the parts I cut out as they weren't good.

Gonna start again, though!

Spitfire76

Hello All , OK here I go , after doing as much research and asking many questions on the FT forum regarding my first foam build , I have decided to buy the FT Spitfire speed build kit (when they actually come back into stock in the UK) and give it my best shot . I dont think I will have too many problems with the actual build as over the years I have built various model kits and scratch built boats . The problems I have to overcome now is knowing the best / right electronics to fit into this kit and how to carry out any mods that will improve the flight in general , hence the questions
I intend to strengthen various areas in the kit with thin ply or balsa wood (depending and then when completed I will weigh the finished model and hopefully come back to the forum members for good advice on which size battery to use etc . Obviously I am aware of helping to keep the overall weight reduced as much as possible and would ideally like to make this kit with detachable wings if I think I could make a good job of it . I dont really want to aggressively fly the finished product to the point of increasing the chances of a bad landing / crash that will over damage the plane so nice and easy does it for me within reason. some of the areas I would likely reinforce are the all round nose section , the wing tips and the wing spars (inside the wings) , also also lightly reinforce the inside side fuselage from the wings to the rear of the plane in case of a bad landing that may snap the fuselage behind the wing section ( as Ive seen on some crash videos)
I would also like to fit a 57mm Durbo spinner as I think that is the right size spinner to fit for this particular model ? and due to advice I will stick with a two blade prop ( 9x7) ?? or bigger and I know this probably depends on engine size etc . I am not sure about the right configuration yet regarding fittings and electrics but can anyone give me advice on the use of a RC with reflex gyro (self stabilising) features with beginner and intermediate modes ?
Some of the other mods Im considering are:
Using clear strong film / tape on the undercarriage of fuselage to prevent too much wear / damage (strengthening)
Back the first two formers with thin ply to strengthen area in case of a bad landing ?
Compress the tailing edge of the wings between two pieces of wood to help streamline the plane in flight
I am not sure if the leading edge of the wings are pre rounded but if not then I would fit half round 4mm balsa dowell and tape over the full length to help make the plane more aerodynamic ?
I know this seems a lot to do but I want to give myself and the plane the best chance of a good flight and I really dont mind taking the time to do this , but I would like to know your thoughts on any of these mods and ideas as Im only starting out as a Newbie.
Thanks in anticipation of any advice offered
M
I've built 3 FT Spitfires so far but only flown 2 of them. The first was a SBK and the second and third are scratch built out of DollarTree foam board. I crashed the first one several times until it was no longer repairable. The second one (its my profile picture) is equipped as follows
  • FT Power Pack C - Radial
  • Gens 3s 2200mAh (25C)
  • APC 9 x6 E prop
  • Radio Master R161 receiver
  • Aura 5 Lite
Regarding mods I used my "low profile" power pod

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4978502

I also added fixed landing gear and a steerable tail wheel as I fly at a local club that has a runway.

The plane is a little fast for me as I am not an experienced pilot but the Aura has helped me avoid crashing.

Last edited: