FT Spitfire Canopy

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Looking good Jaxx! Does look like the middle former is a bit high. The one I was testing the ribs fit flush, sorta, with the top. Do you think I need to adjust the plans?

I'm actually going to build another canopy that has the middle former flush with the ribs, to see which one I like better. I think the plans are fine because the builder can always modify the canopy to fit his/her preference. The only thing I would do differently with the plans is print/export them as a PDF so that they print the same way regardless of the platform being used (Linux, Windows or Mac).

Jaxx

Ok Jaxx, that's a great idea.

Flynn,
I went back and took another look at the canopy. I'm such an idiot. Here's what I did wrong. Instead as using the “rib placement” lines the way you intended, I scored them and removed the foam like the ones one each end, so my ribs are recessed. That's why they are shorter than the middle former. I was in such a hurry to build it, I didn't take the time to read the text on the plan. Good catch. I wouldn't have realized it if you hadn't said something.

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Oh, I figured you wanted to make it more pronounced.

Oops, I went back and looked at the original and it already is the bubble style...That's on me.

Flynn

Flynn,
I went back and took another look at the canopy. I'm such an idiot. Here's what I did wrong. Instead as using the “rib placement” lines the way you intended, I scored them and removed the foam like the ones one each end, so my ribs are recessed. That's why they are shorter than the middle former. I was in such a hurry to build it, I didn't take the time to read the text on the plan. Good catch. I wouldn't have realized it if you hadn't said something.

Do you think I should alter the plans? Maybe dotted line or different color?

I gotta tell ya Jaxx, it was too cool to see you have the same physical piece that I have in my garage a day after I posted the plans. Something good from the internet!

Last edited:

eagle4

I wonder how you'd go if you were to mould a coke bottle over this canopy? not sure how the heat would go with the foam, but you could use your design as a mould to make a clear bubble canopy over.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Use the formers to cast a canopy in plaster of paris. Then you can use the coke bottle method to mold any amount you want.

Jaxx

Do you think I should alter the plans? Maybe dotted line or different color?

I gotta tell ya Jaxx, it was too cool to see you have the same physical piece that I have in my garage a day after I posted the plans. Something good from the internet!

Flynn,
I think the plans work well as they are, but adding dotted lines would not be a bad idea. It would draw attention to the text. Like I said, I was just in such a hurry (excited), I didn't take the time to read the “instructions”. You know how us guys are about reading instructions. I just reprinted the plans. I had to scale them up to 103% to get the 1” scale to match exactly to 1” on my ruler. I attribute that to differences in how our printers may print. I will build another canopy and post the pics tomorrow. And you're right, the internet has revolutionized how we interact and share information. The ability to share information on this level, has completely changed this hobby. It's awesome isn't it!

Enos

I used your plans today to make one of these for my Spitfire although i just used the base and clear plastic for canopy leaving out supports and ribs.

Looks great. Thanks so much for the plans

IMG_20131109_185015.jpg

Flynn

Enos, that looks awesome!! What kind of clear plastic did you use? Great job!

Last edited:

Jaxx

That does look really good. Yet another improvement on an excellent idea! By the way Flynn, great article.

Last edited:

Enos

Eons, that looks awesome!! What kind of clear plastic did you use? Great job!

Cheers, it's hard to see in that pic but I added a little seat and dials for the pilot too ;)

Was just some thin A4 acetate plastic sheet I got from a craft shop. Like the kind of stuff you use to draw on for old over head projectors at school (showing my age a bit there :) )

The black framing on the canopy is just black tape I cut to size although is there for decoration not sticking on. Used hot glue to attach it the canopy to the plane itself.

Jaxx

Cheers, it's hard to see in that pic but I added a little seat and dials for the pilot too ;)

Was just some thin A4 acetate plastic sheet I got from a craft shop. Like the kind of stuff you use to draw on for old over head projectors at school (showing my age a bit there :) )

The black framing on the canopy is just black tape I cut to size although is there for decoration not sticking on. Used hot glue to attach it the canopy to the plane itself.

Enon,
Could you post a couple more pictures?. A close-up side shot would be great. Thanks again for sharing.

Enos

Some more pics

IMG_20131109_185102.jpg IMG_20131109_184106.jpg

Not so pretty up close :)

One thing i would change in future for a clear canopy is cutting back the overlap between the rear and mid part of the canopy so they join flush rather than leaving it overlapping