FT Spitfire Master Series

FT Spitfire Master Series 1.0

Shurik-1960

Huge greetings to all modelers. Today I printed out the drawings and glued them together. Tomorrow I will start cutting styrofoam and photographing the assembly process. The model liked its shapes. According to the drawing - honestly, I think that the fuselage is a bit damp in the engineering sense. I will redo the internal assembly for myself. Very difficult manufacturing of the tail section of the fuselage. I think it should be done with a hairdryer.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Huge greetings to all modelers. Today I printed out the drawings and glued them together. Tomorrow I will start cutting styrofoam and photographing the assembly process. The model liked its shapes. According to the drawing - honestly, I think that the fuselage is a bit damp in the engineering sense. I will redo the internal assembly for myself. Very difficult manufacturing of the tail section of the fuselage. I think it should be done with a hairdryer.

Hairdryer? Interesting. Heating the foam could make forming really tight curves, like the booms on the P-38, much easier to build. Have fun with the Spit- it can battle your Me-109!

Yankee2003

Very interested in your build. I am finishing up my first Master Series plane. It is the Spitfire as well. I have the 2814 in the nose with a 40 amp esc. Plan to run it on 4s. Don’t know what prop yet.
It seems that it will take me a couple to get the airframe clean enough for a nice finish. This one is going to Flightfest so it won’t need to be that great. I am working towards building that beautiful Beechcraft 18.
CrshNBrn is going to learn me some on that one.

Shurik-1960

I started today with a tail detail .At the beginning, I placed the fold lines with a pencil. I began to form the lower edges on the edge of the plywood sheet : my wife warmed the foam bending place with a hairdryer and I bent it. The bottom edge was molded in 3 passes. Then I molded the middle on each side and then slowly made the molding of the center, periodically shouting (my wife sometimes warmed my fingers, not the foam). I'll glue it tomorrow. I did not cut out the tail reinforcement element - I did not understand its purpose : it is not connected to a single fuselage reinforcement structure.

Shurik-1960

The sequel will be tomorrow. Don't buy a lot of popcorn-I will assemble this model by the end of the week if my daughter goes to school...but spring.... flu, colds .. alas -everything is possible.

Yankee2003

Are you removing the paper on both sides and adding packing tape to one side?
Does the hairdryer make the packing tape soft while warm?

Shurik-1960

This is another material.I'm taking it here : https://alnado.ru/shop/komplektuyus...niya/penolist-dlya-modelirovaniya-belyj-5-mm/ . I cut the blank and cover with transparent tape. The material has flexibility in one direction and rigidity in the other direction. Heating with a hair dryer was done on the inside, Final finishing: heating with a hair dryer on the side with tape, 100 degrees on the hair dryer.I don't have 4S batteries, so I'm fighting for the weight of the model for my engine and 2200 mA 3S battery. The lightweight model flies well slowly and quickly. When performing a favorite figure by all modelers-a Carrot, the destruction of the model is more minimal. If I buy Flitetest material, then I will use it without paper -extra weight!!!Covering the model with colored tape with an iron gives fantastic strength. Tested by me on more than 40 models.I made this model 8 years ago. Foam with a thickness of 3 mm in one layer. Alive and flying great.

Last edited:

Shurik-1960

From 10 o 'clock in the morning until lunch , I worked fruitfully .The fuselage is ready. Now I'll get dressed and go to the Angler's shop for the tips of fishing rods. I'll take care of the wing tomorrow. Alas, one of the 3 servers turned out to be defective.We'll have to order and wait.This will be the elevator servo.

Yankee2003

From 10 o 'clock in the morning until lunch , I worked fruitfully .The fuselage is ready. Now I'll get dressed and go to the Angler's shop for the tips of fishing rods. I'll take care of the wing tomorrow. Alas, one of the 3 servers turned out to be defective.We'll have to order and wait.This will be the elevator servo.

Looks nice and clean. Hard to argue with results.
what foam are you using?
Are you just cutting all the pieces by hand?

Shurik-1960

I started assembling the wing. This is a crucial part of the aircraft and I will not rush. I assemble all the wings according to the same scheme. I upload photos of the assembly. Tomorrow I'll seal the top of the wing and cut through the ailerons.True, I promised to look at and repair a neighbor for tomorrow (in Russia, neighbors and friends, and even acquaintances - for free) LG TV, matrix backlight stopped working.

In the photo, black spokes are my favorite tips for fishing rods from the Angler store, they cost $ 1, and how much strength for the wing and an excellent bowden for the elevator thrust.

Shurik-1960

Carefully cut through the ailerons and half of the wing is ready. I'm going to glue the second half. I'm making a plaster cast for the cabin lamp.

Shurik-1960

The package with servomechanisms was lost, I will order from another Chinese seller. The project is frozen for another month.

Attachments

• IMG_20230402_172218.jpg
    IMG_20230402_172218.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230402_172235.jpg
    IMG_20230402_172235.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Yankee2003

The package with servomechanisms was lost, I will order from another Chinese seller. The project is frozen for another month.
I have mine done with the exception of the battery hatch. I don’t have a good idea how to better secure the battery and so I am in a holding pattern. I am not a fan of Velcro being the sole method of battery attachment. I am kind of leaning to just stuffing a piece of foam to help secure it in. Not very excited with that idea so I am just sitting on it right now.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I have mine done with the exception of the battery hatch. I don’t have a good idea how to better secure the battery and so I am in a holding pattern. I am not a fan of Velcro being the sole method of battery attachment. I am kind of leaning to just stuffing a piece of foam to help secure it in. Not very excited with that idea so I am just sitting on it right now.
I'm a fan of using tiny magnets like these. Do you have anything similar where you are? Your Spitfire looks great, by the way.

danskis

Master member
To secure my batteries I've been using a very small bit of high strength velcro and foam. It's important to have the battery in the same place every time you fly. I will start with the plane being a little nose heavy and then put foam against the motor firewall to start moving the battery back to attain the optimal CG. I then glue the foam onto the firewall. Then I use more foam above or behind the battery to ensure it does not move around while in flight. This has lead to consistent performance from my planes (and fewer crashes).

Yankee2003

To secure my batteries I've been using a very small bit of high strength velcro and foam. It's important to have the battery in the same place every time you fly. I will start with the plane being a little nose heavy and then put foam against the motor firewall to start moving the battery back to attain the optimal CG. I then glue the foam onto the firewall. Then I use more foam above or behind the battery to ensure it does not move around while in flight. This has lead to consistent performance from my planes (and fewer crashes).
What type of foam do you use? Can you steer me in the right direction?

danskis

Master member
I've been using what's available. I save a lot of packaging foam - I like the kind (don't know what it is) that computers come in. Usually grey or white and kinda squishy. Sorry but I don't know the commercial/chemical name for it. For behind the firewall I'll use almost anything thats 3-5mm thick. Sometimes it takes some creative carving to get the shape of foam you need.

Yankee2003

I've been using what's available. I save a lot of packaging foam - I like the kind (don't know what it is) that computers come in. Usually grey or white and kinda squishy. Sorry but I don't know the commercial/chemical name for it. For behind the firewall I'll use almost anything thats 3-5mm thick. Sometimes it takes some creative carving to get the shape of foam you need.
Okay I can do that. Thank you for giving me a path forward. I am inspired to finish it up now.