Help! FT SPITFIRE NOT FLYING !!!HELP!!!

warbird123

I built my first FT SPITFIRE and when we do the simple overhead throw takeoff it doesn't fly right and flies about 15 feet before hitting the ground. I don't know if it is nose heavy or tail heavy or unbalanced? I have a 2200KV motor with a 8x6 xoar prop. It has a 11.1 volt 2200mah battery. I'm using a FLYSKY FS-i6 transmitter with a FLYSKY FS-1A6B receiver. I'm wondering if anybody knows what could be wrong please help because this is my first FliteTest build and first 6 channel. I've seen the FliteTest YT video on the review and saw how they launched it and we did the same thing but could not get it up. Please help! Thank you!

Last edited:

warbird123

1FDD5004-AC85-4A71-9530-D352886B3C30.jpeg
1F180905-11F0-4161-A27E-F9F538202BB5.jpeg

Sparky45

Ok it’s going to be hard to diagnose without actually seeing it but you need to make sure that you have the centre of gravity ( COG )correct . Use the FT suggested location .
Next check that the horizontal stab is positioned correctly relative to the wing , this is an easy thing to get wrong when building. Invert the plane and using a bubble level on the bottom of the flat wing get the plane level . Now check the horizontal stab for level and if it’s not you’ll need to realign it.
Also check that you have the motor thrust correct and that the motor and prop re turning the correct way. Is the prop on backwards ? The prop markings should be facing forward.
Good luck !

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Good looking build, I really like my Spitfire. Your 2200kv motor - what are the other numbers. Is it a 2218 size or equivalent?
When everything goes wrong at the launch it's a good idea to check the preflight basics.
1) When you pull back on the stick does the elevator deflect up?
2) When you move the stick right does the right aileron go up and the left go down?
3) Are the numbers molded on the prop on the front of the prop?
4) Turn it upside down and put your fingers on the CG points. Does it balance or is it just slightly nose heavy?
If all these things check out try just a little up trim on the elevator for launch.

warbird123

Good looking build, I really like my Spitfire. Your 2200kv motor - what are the other numbers. Is it a 2218 size or equivalent?
When everything goes wrong at the launch it's a good idea to check the preflight basics.
2) When you move the stick right does the right aileron go up and the left go down?
4) Turn it upside down and put your fingers on the CG points. Does it balance or is it just slightly nose heavy?
If all these things check out try just a little up trim on the elevator for launch.
Thanks. Every electronic thing is correct. The props are also correct. I figured out that it is a little nose heavy but nothing major. I actually got it to fly but ended up breaking my motor shaft. I think I might rebuild the plane in the future. Thanks!

warbird123

Ok it’s going to be hard to diagnose without actually seeing it but you need to make sure that you have the centre of gravity ( COG )correct . Use the FT suggested location .
Next check that the horizontal stab is positioned correctly relative to the wing , this is an easy thing to get wrong when building. Invert the plane and using a bubble level on the bottom of the flat wing get the plane level . Now check the horizontal stab for level and if it’s not you’ll need to realign it.
Also check that you have the motor thrust correct and that the motor and prop re turning the correct way. Is the prop on backwards ? The prop markings should be facing forward.
Good luck !
Everything is correct. Just a little nose heavy. Thanks for the tips!

speedy7385

9x6 prop is too big for a 2200kv motor, probably about 7x4 max.
11.1v on that 2200mah battery is very low, that's 3.7v per cell. Need to fully charge that battery.

warbird123

9x6 prop is too big for a 2200kv motor, probably about 7x4 max.
11.1v on that 2200mah battery is very low, that's 3.7v per cell. Need to fully charge that battery.
The minimum for the spitfire is 810kv and the recommended prop size was 8.6 to 9.47. I might downsize to a 8.6. The battery voltage and mah was also recommended by flite test.

warbird123

The other numbers are A2212/6T

NickRehm

Just gonna reiterate that your prop is too large for that 2200kv motor. Definitely going to burn it out with an 8x6 prop. That's probably why it's so hard to fly too; you won't get much thrust with that motor/prop combo because the motor doesn't have enough torque to spin that prop fast enough without burning itself out

warbird123

Just gonna reiterate that your prop is too large for that 2200kv motor. Definitely going to burn it out with an 8x6 prop. That's probably why it's so hard to fly too; you won't get much thrust with that motor/prop combo because the motor doesn't have enough torque to spin that prop fast enough without burning itself out
What size prop should I get then? Thanks for helping!

warbird123

I actually broke my motor shaft from a crash but I am getting another motor. So it will be a fresh start so I will get a smaller prop. Do you think that the ESC is fine though if I was running this oversized prop?

speedy7385

You should be running a 6x3 prop with that motor. See attached chart. Normally lower kV use large prop, higher kV use smaller prop. Motor and prop had to be match for best performance and efficiency. And the Spitfire was designed to use the C pack motor.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220805-073238_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20220805-073238_Firefox.jpg
    740.8 KB · Views: 0

warbird123

You should be running a 6x3 prop with that motor. See attached chart. Normally lower kV use large prop, higher kV use smaller prop. Motor and prop had to be match for best performance and efficiency. And the Spitfire was designed to use the C pack motor.
Ok thank you so much!

warbird123

If I got a 1400kv motor instead, would that be able to handle an 8x6? I have a 40amp ESC would that be compatible?