FT Spitfire w/Lazertoyz "Beef" Combo

raptor3dpilot

So I just finished assembling my FT Spitfire (some minor hiccups, but it still looks good). I purchased the LazerToyz Beef Combo as suggested and it came with:
EMax GT2215/09 motor
Sky III 20A ESC
9x6E prop
1600mAh 11.1v 25c battery

I powered on the electronics and spun up the propeller while holding the plane up. The motor cuts out at max power and surges. It seems like it's hitting the max amps for the ESC and cutting out. Doesn't seem right if it was the recommended combination for this speed build.

I used the eCalc and came up with this information:
http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc.htm?ecalc&lang=en&cooling=2.5&weight=420&calc=sum&elevation=500&airtemp=25&qnh=1013&batteries=lipo_1600mah_-_25/35c&chargestate=0&s=3&p=1&esc=max_20a&motor=emax&type=31%7Cgt2215-09&gear=1&propeller=apc_electric_e&diameter=9&pitch=6&blades=2

The amps are around 17.8, but with the 35c burst, it could be causing it to surge.

Whatcha guys think??

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Are those amps from eCalc or a meter? There might be some prop flex while you are holding it static. Load should be less in the air. Static on the ground is worst case scenario...

raptor3dpilot

I don't have a Watts meter or anything, so I just used eCalc as a reference. I've just never had a motor cut out on me while running it up static. It has plenty of power it seems to cruise at half throttle, but if I get into trouble and need to punch put, I want to make sure it actually will. I have another ESC, but it's at work so I'm not sure what size it is.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I would get it in the air a couple of mistakes high and punch it. If it cuts out in the air, land and go to plan "B". I've never had a motor do that either but I've heard props flexing that sure sounded strange but never happened once it was in the air. If it's a greater than expected current draw, having it in the air might keep it under that threshold and be fine while flying. Without a wattmeter, that's the only thing I can think of.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
If you have an ESC programming card, you may want to try different timing settings to see if that resolves the issue.

raptor3dpilot

I'll have to check Lazertoyz to see if they have an ESC programming card I can order. I'll have to RTFM (read the freakin manual) as well to see if i can program it via the controller.

Jaxx

I'll have to check Lazertoyz to see if they have an ESC programming card I can order. I'll have to RTFM (read the freakin manual) as well to see if i can program it via the controller.

If the ESC is programmable, there's a good chance you will be able to do it with the transmitter.

raptor3dpilot

Another couple questions.

Do you guys round off your leading edges on the FT aircraft?

With the quick links that came with the kit, is the part that connects to the servo arm supposed to pivot at all? I have them on tight to where they won't pivot and I get a lot of pushrod flex while moving the control surfaces.

Jaxx

With the quick links that came with the kit, is the part that connects to the servo arm supposed to pivot at all? I have them on tight to where they won't pivot and I get a lot of pushrod flex while moving the control surfaces.

I build the wings just as they do in the build videos. The only thing I do differently is, I use clear packing tape along the leading edge before folding and gluing it. This strengthens the leading edge and prevents the paper along the double bevel (leading edge) from tearing when I fold the wing. I also use packing tape to reinforce the bevels/hinges on all of my control surfaces.

I don't know what type of quick links come with the kits, but the ones I buy for my builds pivot when moving the control surfaces.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor

Yes, they should pivot. If it's too tight, the hole can be drilled or reamed out.

BTW, I do round the edges using packing tape to bend the tops and bottoms. I do it more to keep the paper on, since it comes off too easily in the humid area I live in.

raptor3dpilot

Okay, I definitely need to loosen them up because I cranked them down like a ball link on a helicopter. Lol

How well does the packing tape take to paint? I plan to minwax and then paint the whole bird after my maiden.

raptor3dpilot

I had a couple goofs during my build... I first glued the wing spar one one half to the wrong side, so I had to take it off mad sand the remaining glue and reglue it to the proper side.
After that, I glued the first wing down to the spar and realized after it dried that I forgot to add glue to the leading edge and the other bend points (crap!), so I'm definitely going to tape down the leading edges of the wings. Since I did that to one half, I did the same to the other side so I wouldn't throw it off balance laterally.
Next while assembling the tail section, I 45deg beveled the wrong side of the surface, no biggie, just doesn't look as nice. By instinct from my other builds, I didn't pay attention to which side the rudder/elevator control horns went on, and accidentally put the rudder on the right side and the elevator on the left. Again, not a big deal, just added a relief hole for the rudder control horn.

Just a few minor mistakes on my first FT build. I've built a handful of RCPowers aircraft so I have some limited experience, but this is my first conventional plane build. Definitely not my last though!! This bird looks great static so far!! Still need to decide on what I want to do with the cockpit area though.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It flies even better than it looks, and I don't usually like warbirds, so that is saying something. It was too windy and wet today or I would have had mine out. As it was, I threw the wing up and it basically was hovering at a third to half throttle because of the wind gusts. It was fun but a bit of a challenge to not land in a puddle. The field was more like a shallow lake with a few islands scattered around...

I'm fully clothed in this one, Dan and Roy!

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
How well does the packing tape take to paint? I plan to minwax and then paint the whole bird after my maiden.

It doesn't.

I primarily use colored packing tape, but you could paint then cover with clear.

Painting after the maiden is a fair plan (do that myself), but if you're gonna minwax do it before. Don't want to get it wet on a maiden and ruin it. Also don't wait too long before finishing. My bloody wonder got flown one too many times before finishing, hit a bug in flight, and i had to change the planned decorations.

Plane picked up a name, though: Bloody Bugs

raptor3dpilot

Hmm, maybe I can try masking tape and then paint that. I'm not looking forward to the minwax process, I have a feeling that I am going to make a huge mess. I'll have to review the video again and just give it a shot.

raptor3dpilot

What size props are you guys using with "The Beef" combo from LazerToyz? My combo came with a 9x6E prop and I believe I am over propping the motor/ESC which is causing into cut out at max throttle. I lowered my throttle "travel" in my JR9503 to 80% and it stopped cutting out. The recommended prop on the kit brochure sheet is, 8x6 - 9x4.7.

I added a great planes 2 1/4 spinner cone on it, but I had to trim the prop slots in order for it to fit. Looks good, but we'll see how she balances out

raptor3dpilot

Just to clarify, the barrel on these quick links are supposed to pivot inside the servo arm right? I've attached a picture of what I am referring to.

Thanks again for the assistance! Need this wind around here to die down so I can maiden her!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20

proctous

I am also having issues with the lazortoys esc, at full power it cuts out. when I first powered it on I got stuck in the prog mode and couldn't figure out how to live it. I might have messed up some settings. anyone know how to reset it to stock..