FT SPITFIRE

just got my new FT Spitfire today, now i need to get a motor for it this is my first swapable, i was thinking of using this but dont know if this would be to much for it?

Dynam Power combo (BM2815A-KV1100+30A ESC+4pcs 9g servos+8*6*3 prop)

Include :
Detrum pro 30A brushless speed control (include 3A BEC built in )
Detrum BM2815A-KV1100 Motor (1pc)
Detrum 9g servo (4pcs)
8x6*3 Bladed prop (1pc)
Connector Style - Banana plug (3pcs)
Voltage: 12V (3cell Lipo Max)
Current: 15A
Thrust: 740g

earthsciteach

Yep - that should work just fine. You may want to buy a couple of spare props while you are at it because 3 bladed props break easily since you are belly landing. I'd order a couple of equivalent 2 blade props, myself. Typically, they are more efficient than a 3 or four blade prop at the power we deal with in RC motors.

earthsciteach

Yes. Too bad they don't publish enough data to really get a handle on prop size. An 8x4e prop may result in more speed as it allows the prop to spin faster. But, that's one of those weird things. That can also depend on the power the motor is capable of producing. Sometimes results in more speed, sometimes in less.

HERE IS A PIC OF MY SPIT JUST SPRAY PAINTED
20130527_222614.jpg

jamesvok

HERE IS A PIC OF MY SPIT JUST SPRAY PAINTED
View attachment 10190

I dig your paint scheme. If I crashed that where I fly, I would never see it again because the ground is exactly that color!

I am building mine, and am ready for some motor choices. I either need to order a motor, or use a very overpowered version of one I have already, which is an eflite 480. Might be way too fast for a paper airplane.

As a note for those who land on hard surfaces and worry about prop damage, most ESCs can be set up to do the brake so you can shut it down a few times to get the prop horizontal before landing. I land on a real landing zone on a military base. There is no grass around so it is the only real option.

thanks!

i used the minwax poly, on the the plane first but it still bubbled up in places ,
im just waiting for my motor (Detrum BM2815A-KV1100 Motor (1pc) to show up also,
meanwhile im going to make a nutball to play with:D

jamesvok

I built my Spitfire and flew it today. I learned from my botched FT Cruiser not to use water based paints. For this I used Model Master enamel spray without any issues.

I had an unused eflite 450 and used a 1300 mah batt with outstanding results. I don't have it propped for speed, which is fine with me. This airplane flies quite well and it looks great. Who knows, I just might have to doctor it up a little bit more. The only mistake I made was adding some medical tape to the leading edges where the paper would come away from the foam. The tape is fine, but it bubbled in some places when out in the heat today. Not the best idea after all. Oh well, you learn as you go.

My other ride is a 120cc gas Extreme Flight Extra 300. This is a cute alternative!

IMG_6334a.jpg

IMG_6391a.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

jamesvok

I sure love those colors Jamesvok. What's your canopy made from?

Thanks. The colors are from Model Master spray cans, which are:
FS34102 Medium Green - spray
FS36251 Navy Aggressor gray - spray

For the canopy, I actually used one from another airplane, which I cut to fit.
However, I think a water bottle will work. I have another piece of a water bottle I cut up for more of the canopy. Not scale, but close enough for what I do.

The airplane flies very well. Even a guy at the field who hates this kind of stuff (he calls it the paper dragon) flew it and said he was impressed.

photo2.JPG

jamesvok

Great to see more Spits in the air. I can't get enough of this airplane.
This is my daily driver (Extra 300 with DA-120 engine), but the Spit is giving it a solid run.

DSC_9188jva.jpg

raptor3dpilot

How are you guys coming up with the decals? Is there a way to print them on a home printer onto some sort of clear sticker type material?

jamesvok

Excellent question, and yes I just found some decals online and sent them to the printer. I used spray adhesive (which I think was some sort of elmer's brand, and just stuck them on the airplane. Super easy to do. I had to resize the decals once or twice to get the size I wanted, but it came out pretty well in the end.

Peacock

This build!!!, sigh :( Going to have to start all over. put the wings together last night and today i noticed they have a bit of angle difference.

Also....How did i get hot-glue in my eyebrows??

Last edited:

knife-edge

This build!!!, sigh :( Going to have to start all over. put the wings together last night and today i noticed they have a bit of angle difference.

Also....How did i get hot-glue in my eyebrows??

Sorry to hear. At least foamboard is cheap. Heres how mine turned out 20130906_212139.jpg

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
My first is still flying...but the wing mounts have been rebuilt so many times I know it's not going to be flying much longer.

So I decided to build a non-removeable wing version and to use minwax coated board to do it this time. Overall it went well. The first one I built in a day, this one I spread out over about a month and a half, 4 months if you count the time between when I coated the boards and when I finished.

I actually had it built almost a month ago, but put off flying it because I wanted to give it a nice paint job first. I knew this was asking for trouble. Always is with me. The nicer job I do of finishing a project the better the chance that it will never fly/float/drive/whatever it's supposed to do. But I really like the look of the spitfire so I decided I'm compromise. I'd put down base color before flying but wouldn't do any decals or final finish. Maybe that will hold off my gremlin.

20130903_200410.jpg

20130903_200434.jpg

20130903_200418.jpg

20130903_200425.jpg

20130903_200518.jpg

Finally got up to fly it this morning. First sign of trouble. As I was pulling up at the almost deserted park one of the only 3 people there, the one parked nearest me, who had got in their truck and was ready to leave...saw the plane and decided to stay and watch. Great. Spectators for a maiden. With paint. I should have known better and put the FT Flyer in the air first. I haven't flown in almost a month the warm-up would have made sense. I only chose to fly the spitfire first because with the fixed wing it was awkward to leave in the cab of the truck and I worried about wind picking up and knocking it out of the back. Besides, my first spit handles great. And there was no one around the field and dead calm air so I figured there were also good reasons to do the test flight now.

Prepping the plane went smooth as could be. Triple checked everything and we seemed good to go. Took it out to the field gave it some throttle and a nice toss. But forgot about the torque roll on take off that my first one exhibited...had my rates dialed way back and didn't react strong enough fast enough - right into the ground about 15 feet away. Looked good as I approached. Prop wasn't even broken. But when I gave it some throttle the motor was acting like it had a bad connection. Flipped it over to take a look at the bottom...and the tail flopped 90 degrees to the body. Doh. Bottom and sides of the fuse had cracked right behind the wing. So plane and pod both done after just a few minutes. If the pod was still running I would have just taped up the body and tried again. But at this point I figured it was a sign not to push my luck.

But I still had my new Versa that just needed and ESC and the ESC from that pod was just what I needed. And that would help me figure out if it was the motor or the ESC on the spitfire's pod. So swapped the ESC over to the versa. Got a battery in. Confirmed the motor was going the right way. Noticed the ailerons were backwards...tweaked the TX....ok those are looking good. Elevator looks good. Let's put a prop on. Where's that prop. Um...crud. I'm running the motor I was running on my EA Axon and it's got a different prop adapter than any of my other motors. I only have one prop left that fits it (and one that could if I drilled it) and I left it at home.

Thankfully on a whim before leaving home I had also tossed in my wife's FT Flyer. It always flies and has taken a lot of hard hits and been repaired that not much shy of a chainsaw will hurt it at this point. Get it setup switch the program on my tx over...give it a nice toss...and fly it straight into the ground. What the. Toss on a new prop, check the CG again (all good) scratch my head a bit...give it another toss...and right into the ground. Finally realize I have to identically named programs in the TX and one has reversed elevator and finally it's in the air.

So at least I got a full battery out of the FT Flyer to cheer me back up, even landed it without breaking the prop despite running it without gear.

Spitfire #2 has been glued. Will get a bit of tape and be good to go. Iron should be hot now so I'll go fix the bullet that came loose on the motor in my big pod that I identified as the cause of the motor problems. Wind has picked up a bit though and we may get some afternoon storms. So don't know if I'll get to test fly again today or not. Monsoon season has broken our heat a bit - but brought with it some gnarly winds and quite a bit of rain this year to go with the nasty humidity. Another month or so before my flying season really begins. Just enough time to order some more servos and RX's to go in a Racer and a Dusty ;) Need to pick up a ESC and more props for the Versa too....

Peacock

So I decided to build a non-removeable wing version and to use minwax coated board to do it this time. Overall it went well. The first one I built in a day, this one I spread out over about a month and a half, 4 months if you count the time between when I coated the boards and when I finished.

I actually had it built almost a month ago, but put off flying it because I wanted to give it a nice paint job first. I knew this was asking for trouble. Always is with me. The nicer job I do of finishing a project the better the chance that it will never fly/float/drive/whatever it's supposed to do. But I really like the look of the spitfire so I decided I'm compromise. I'd put down base color before flying but wouldn't do any decals or final finish. Maybe that will hold off my gremlin.

View attachment 13145

View attachment 13146

View attachment 13147

View attachment 13148

View attachment 13149

looks great!. By the way, is the package under it from HobbyKing? :p ;)