FT SPITFIRE

Snardo

These look great! I just got my speed build kit last week and am starting to piece it together. I would love to know what you folks use for a canopy and what size spinner you use. Also, any tips on decals/detailing would be helpful. Thanks!

Smok1n

FT Speed Build

I finished my Spitfire on Thursday. I put 9 packs through it on Friday, flew real nice. I'll post flight photos once I get someone to snap them. This is my interpretation of a Mk IX circa June 1944. Invasion stripes are handy for visibility!

image.jpg

Last edited:

Smok1n

These look great! I just got my speed build kit last week and am starting to piece it together. I would love to know what you folks use for a canopy and what size spinner you use. Also, any tips on decals/detailing would be helpful. Thanks!
I just cut a piece of poster board for the canopy, but would have liked to put a scale bubble canopy on her. I printed decals using PowerPoint to draw them and Testor's Decal kit. I didn't take into consideration the fact that ink jets don't print white! Oops. I also didn't consider how translucent they would be. Next time ill just print to Avery package labels and cut them out, stick 'me on! I used a 2 1/2" all plastic spinner I picked up at my LHS. It's for the Parkzone BL Mustang.

Last edited:

okolloen

Some have asked about advice for building the swapables from depron, I have created a build tread on my own blog showing how I made the Spitfire from a depron like material that is available here in Norway.

This is where I'm at right now.
IMG_3029.JPG

The build progress with loads of images can be found at http://rc.kolloen.priv.no/#category0.

Thanks to David for a plane, fingers crossed it will be as good a flying experience as it has been a building experience.

Dear Spitfire Builders -

I have a noob question here for all you folks who have built the FT Spitfire: What spinner and prop adapter did you use with the NTM 28-26a?

I know the NTM 28-26a requires the NTM 28 accessory pack and the accessory pack has a prop adapter with a bullet-like prop retention screw (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16719__NTM_Prop_Drive_28_Series_Accessory_Pack.html). Are you putting a plastic 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 spinner over that bullet prop retention screw or are you securing the propeller to the prop adapter shaft another way?

I would be very grateful if you would let me know what spinner / adapter combination you are using for your planes. Supplying web links for all the hardware you use regarding the adapter and spinner would be real helpful, too.

Thanks for your help with this. I am probably not the only noob out there with this question.

Keep'em flying

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I haven't been using a spinner on mine, so that won't help...
It works, but a spinner would look much better!

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
spinner.jpg

Hopefully a pic helps...there are barely enough threads to make this work. omit the washer also.

Attachments

• 2826 mount.jpg
    2826 mount.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Snardo

So I finished my build and put it up about a week ago. It was a little windy, so I'm not sure if my problem is from that or a build issue. Anyway, it seems to have a noticable amount of dutch roll (at least what I think is dutch roll). What I'm seeing is that there is some ocillation around the roll axis with the pivot about at the wing box. i.e. nose and tail wobble around a line drawn from nose to tail but the center section of the fuse is fairly stable. I'm wondering what might cause that and whether it's fixable and if any of you have seen something similar.

My other question is how you find the roll performance of this model? It seems a bit under-responsive to me, but I also haven't completely explored the full range of movement for the aileron servos yet.

By the way, Smok1n - nice paint job! Not being overly artistically inclined, I've made a bit of a gamble and bought a spare canopy and decal sheet for the Parkzone Spitfire Mk IX. I think it's very close in size to the FT Spitfire, though I haven't tried anything out yet as I want to make sure it's going to fly well before I spend much time detailing it.

okolloen

This is how I mounted a spinner on my Turnigy motor (the spinner is from hobbyking )
My Spitfire prior to the spinner
spinner1.jpg

I had to enlarge the hole in the spinner backplate just a fraction (just enough to make the hole the same diameter all the way through.)
spinner2.jpg

Then screw on the front of the spinner, with this prop this just barely fits
spinner3.jpg

After a quick spray of black it all looks the part.
spinner4.jpg

All that remains is to fly this thing hard into the ground :black_eyed:

tyoho

Is anyone shimming their motor right and down?
I was holding my brand new Spitfire vertical to run-up the motor a few times and noticed that it pulls pretty hard to the left.

Wanted to maiden today but it was too wet.
I probaly doomed it by spending to much time on the paint. I'll post some pictures if I get a chance

tyoho

Here's some pics.
Don't knock my pilot, he saved a Barbie from decapitation.
IMG_6761.jpg IMG_6764.jpg IMG_6766.JPG IMG_6783 r.jpg

Last edited:

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I was holding my brand new Spitfire vertical to run-up the motor a few times and noticed that it pulls pretty hard to the left.

I probaly doomed it by spending to much time on the paint. I'll post some pictures if I get a chance

On mine, I used some really small washers to adjust the thrust angle downward, but did not add any right input. From what I have read, adjusting it downward also reduces some of that left pull. That's why I decided not to add any right input. Building my second Spitfire at the moment, because I destroyed the first one in a hard nose-in crash. I will be airbrushing this one and going with a fixed-wing setup.

Last edited:

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor

I'd be interested to see if it rolls better on it's axis then.

Making my second one, doing the paint now. I do not have greqt success with painted aircraft though. Hopefully it will go well.

Snardo

Sadness! I was enjoying a leisurely lunch hour with my Spit and a big, mean, nasty tree jumped out and grabbed it! After 30 minutes of throwing sticks at it and climbing said tree (in a button-down shirt and slacks no less!) I have recovered the plane, but it will need a bit of TLC to make it airworthy again.

Earlier on this page there are some questions about adding down/right thrust to the engine mount. Do you have to use different (i.e. longer) screws if you do that? or can you still use the mounting screws that came with the motor?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
As long as you still have good "grab" with the supplied screws, you can do it. If it's only holding on by a thread or two, then no.