Admin
flitetest submitted a new resource:

FT Spitfire - FT Spitfire Free Plans

FT Spitfire
Design By: David Windestål
Plans By: Dan Sponholz
View attachment 120981
Description:
The FT Spitfire is the 10th design in the swappable series and the first of which that is a warbird. This is the perfect gateway into scale-like flying and is also a good introduction into four channel flying. This plane is great for beginners and or experienced pilots who are looking for scale lines without the unforgiving flight...​

Read more about this resource...

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Please note that this is just a redraw of the original version 1 FT Spitfire. If/when the version 2 Spitfire is released, I will add that as a separate resource.

Happy building.

Dnedzel

I am building a quickbuild kit of spitfire and I am running into some issues where I think the latest kit has changed a little bit from when the build video was made. I wanted to make sure that I am not missing something, and to share info with FT and other builders.

1 - wing spare seems too short - if you put the tab in the slot near the wing root, then the tab towards the wingtip is short of slot

2 - video show some servo being mounted at end of spar, but since the spar is short the servo has to be mounted about 1/2 inch from the drone of spar to line up with slot in aileron

3 - There appears to be a new cutout in the board sheet for lower wing surface for servo, this wasn’t in previous kit shown in the video. Previous kit didn’t have a cutout, servo sat on top of lower wing surface, now appears you are supposed to knock out that cutout and recess the servo? Which mounting is better? What was purpose of the new cutout? Just curious!

I just wanted to get FT and other builders thoughts on the reasons for these changes, what appears to be a miss-match between the wing spar length and the placement of the slots in the wing and servo placement. this is my first build, so I just don’t want to do something dumb - I do that enough as it is! :)

Thanks, Derrick

Attachments

• FF6BF301-6DDA-4FD3-98F0-05B7F63E94AF.jpeg
    FF6BF301-6DDA-4FD3-98F0-05B7F63E94AF.jpeg
    574.2 KB · Views: 0
  • F4716268-71A9-4FF8-A329-0739912EAB1C.jpeg
    F4716268-71A9-4FF8-A329-0739912EAB1C.jpeg
    543.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 4BC20952-BF0B-435A-8D0D-B50EAFF5A6F9.jpeg
    4BC20952-BF0B-435A-8D0D-B50EAFF5A6F9.jpeg
    592.7 KB · Views: 0

chris398mx

Master member
Please note that this is just a redraw of the original version 1 FT Spitfire. If/when the version 2 Spitfire is released, I will add that as a separate resource.

Happy building.
Sponz,

When I built the spitfire I had trouble getting the spars to slide together to glue the wing. After reviewing the prints, I think one of the spars needs the tab to switch sides. It appears to me that after folding the spars and gluing them, they are on the same side and interfere with each other during assembly. could you check and let me know if i am correct?

thanks

1563995726494.png

bennmar02

Sponz,

When I built the spitfire I had trouble getting the spars to slide together to glue the wing. After reviewing the prints, I think one of the spars needs the tab to switch sides. It appears to me that after folding the spars and gluing them, they are on the same side and interfere with each other during assembly. could you check and let me know if i am correct?

thanks

View attachment 137002
I had same experience

Corbarrad

Unless 3D spatial imagination fails me, shouldn't both spars be built identical so that one can slide over the other when you flip it over to fit it to the other wing half?

chris398mx

Master member
Unless 3D spatial imagination fails me, shouldn't both spars be built identical so that one can slide over the other when you flip it over to fit it to the other wing half?
Yes, that is the case. both spars should be the same. I built a second spitfire and this worked perfectly.

Corbarrad

Well, that's what I get for not actually looking at the plan. I misunderstood from the drawing in @chris398mx post.
Yes, both spars should be identical on the plans and I guess @SP0NZ should be informed so he can potentially fix it.
(which I think I just did... Hi there @SP0NZ!)

PoorManRC

Master member
....... Also sounds like it may be necessary to re-import the Mad Swede, to remake the Build Video!! 😜

Mike_l_bailey

Running into an issue trying to print this.

The b part of the tiled template isn't the same scale as the a part.

When I print it to custom 100% size, it doesn't scale properly. If I make the b tiles fit to paper, the scale is off really bad. If I make it scale to full size, the scale is proper, but the image size is bigger than the 8.5x11 sheet. It prints the center of the image to the proper scale, but cuts off the outside 1.5 or 2 inches, if you follow what I'm saying.

Thanks again in advance. I'm using Adobe reader DC, and I have tried printing the b tiles from the AIO pdf and the seperate a and b tile ones, all with the same results.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yeah. I figured I'd build this one to pass the time until that one shows up.

It's my first FT build. I've worked with stuff like this before though, so it's not new to me.
The original Spit is a great flying plane. I loved flying mine, that's why I want the new plans to show up. A little tribute to my first flights, and it will celebrate my one year milestone in the hobby.

Mike_l_bailey

And they have showed up. Yesterday, 1:59 am... Im still gonna finish up with the original spitfire here. Working on some retractable landing gear and some other stuff on it. It'll be easily transferable into the master series build.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
And they have showed up. Yesterday, 1:59 am... Im still gonna finish up with the original spitfire here. Working on some retractable landing gear and some other stuff on it. It'll be easily transferable into the master series build.
Downloaded and printed already, 84 tiled pages, kinda daunting lol

Mike_l_bailey

I'm going to print them and put it it together and cut out the paper plan pieces tonight. I'm out of foam board, but, I want to get some waterproof for this one. I'll make 2, one to practice with with the normal Adam's ready board, and then a nice one on waterproof foam board.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I'm going to print them and put it it together and cut out the paper plan pieces tonight. I'm out of foam board, but, I want to get some waterproof for this one. I'll make 2, one to practice with with the normal Adam's ready board, and then a nice one on waterproof foam board.
I might make two as well, one to fly and the other as a wall hanger. The fly one will be my practice build, just because I know there will be damage after a few flights, then the second will be the pretty one