FT Sportster - Build

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
FT Sportster Build

FT SPORTSTER SPECS

• Weight without battery: 0.95 lb (430 g)
  • Center of Gravity: 2.5 in (63 mm) from leading edge of wing
  • Control Surface Throws: 12 - 16° deflection; Expo 30 %
  • Wingspan: 39 in (990 mm)
  • Recommended Motor: 1000 kV Park 425
  • Recommended Prop: 10 x 4.7 slow fly
  • Recommended ESC: 30 amp minimum
  • Recommended battery: 2200 mAh 3S
  • Recommended Servos: (x4) 9 gram

PICK UP A SPEED BUILD KIT HERE!

FT SPORTSTER PLANS

If you've never built our Swappable Power Pod, check out the video below.

STORE LINKS

New to the R/C hobby?
Here's some resources to help get you up to speed!
Beginner Series: WATCH HERE!
Electronics Setup: WATCH HERE!
First Flight Quick Tips: WATCH HERE!
Got glue?? Get Some Here!

Spastickitten

Awesome, I think I'll make the mini sportster, but with an 1806 instead. I want to play with reversible escs one day, and this would be funny watching it fly backwards! Any battery recommendations? This will be a fun little thing.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
FYI...

The plans are currently missing a score line for the wing airfoil (thanks Tommy) and the trailing edge spacer. I will be updating the plans after I finish watching the build video to see if there is anything else that needs to be changed. If you have any feedback, or notice anything wrong/missing, now is the time to say something.

EDIT:
Revisions needed for FT Sportster v1.1
- Missing score line on wing panels
- Missing trailing edge spacer
- Missing landing gear doubler
- Missing paper removal for fuselage sheeting parts A & B

Last edited:

abieex

Mentor
Is the vid for the mini coming out today? I have the plans (thank you) cut out and there appears to be some diff between the two planes other than size. i.e. wing servos and batt tray. Just wondering.

dgrigor02

I do like the nice little finishing touches and the battery hatch. Love seeing the processes evolve and get better with each model.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Is the vid for the mini coming out today? I have the plans (thank you) cut out and there appears to be some diff between the two planes other than size. i.e. wing servos and batt tray. Just wondering.

I think I remember Josh mentioning in a video or on Periscope that they would have one Wednesday and the other on Friday. But, don't quote me on that.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I have update the FT Sportster plans to v1.1 (Released 2015.11.20)

- Added missing first score line (from leading edge) on both wing panels #15 / #16
- Added missing trailing edge spacer #21 / QTY 2
- Added missing landing gear doubler #22 / QTY 1
- Paper removal for fuselage sheeting A (#2) and B (#3)

Emailed Josh and Alex to get the links in the article section and the build thread (here) updated as well. In the meantime, you can always get the latest version of any of my plans here:

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?17136-SP0NZ-Plans-Index

Swimjim

I've got my Sportster speed build kit and it's second in the que after my Explorer build. I was wondering what size wheels you guys are using?

Jim

amtpdb1

What size wire is used on the landing gear? Is there somewhere that they show how to put the window screen on? What HK motor is the same as the one recommended?

Last edited:

gregp

For the rear of the sportster - is there something to add on the bottom so it won't drag and scratch the foam on take off and landing. Did i miss rear wheel?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
There's not a rear tail-skid or tail wheel, but as long as you don't mind the extra weight and drag, you can always add one.

A little 1/2" wedge bump of foam, covered in packing tape (for skid resistance) would be enough to keep the rudder off the ground. I'd strip the paper from 3 pieces of scrap, stack and glue together, cut a right-triangle (60-30-90 ish) then glue it to the tail just forward of the rudder hinge. Cover with packing tape for abrasion resistance and it should be good.

For a nicer-but more complicated route, you could put a small balsa block or thin hobby plywood wedged into the tail and mount a tailwheel assembly from Dubro (cheap but functional) or Sullivan(better, but can be expensive). I'd carve out a 1/2" deep, 2" long triangular hole in the tail (bottom fuse plate and the rudder tab, but not the side fuse pieces) to mount, then I'd carve a small 2x1x1/2"-ish balsa block into a wedge sized to fit that hole. bolt the bracket to the block and glue it in place. If you went with thin ply, I'd install it on the inside surface of the bottom plate (before assembly), then mount the tail wheel before you finish the fuselage. keep in mind, you'll have to notch the rudder tab for the added ply before you install the rudder. In either case, tie the wheel into the rudder to use while taxiing . . . and your plane becomes fun on the ground too ;).

Last edited:

SteveM

I am nearing the end of my build and need info on the assembly of the wheels. My kit included 8 foam circles, 6 have a center punch and 2 have a center cutout the size of a dime. The online video shoes after market wheels that my kit didn't come with. Is there an assembly video of these wheels?