FT Sportster scratch build

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
A little tip I picked up somewhere that works really well with the wood control horns. With the pushrod in place on the control horn, drip a little CA into the oversize holes, let it fully cure, then move the surface to release the hold on the pushrod. Now you've got a zero-slop connection as the CA has filled in everything that isn't pushrod.

I was thinking about doing that too, but I was afraid it wouldn't release and I would break something, then I came up with this idea. I figured the wire would work like a bearing and wouldn't cause any binding and it did so far. I can always remove it and try CA if it fails later.

I just didn't want it to fly like an old car with loose steering, lol.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
NO TAILGEAR ON SPORTSTER!

I'm getting close to sending the Sportster to the finishing line and discovered they didn't design it with any tail gear or drag reinforcement of any kind. So, I came up with a quick and easy fix. I could have installed a tail wheel assembly, but decided this would be easier, less weight and least expensive.

I used a 2 3/8" tail skid, from DU-BRO for $2.95, and cut a section of paint stick to match as a base. Then hot glued the paint stick down, drilled two guide holes for the skid to fit into (it has two plastic pins on it), then hot glued the skid on the paint stick and secured with three servo screws. It's very sturdy and should survive many landings now. I did the same thing on my dead Storch and it worked great.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
WHEELS!

Made the landing gear from some super light wheels off my wrecked Storch. I have some toe in on both the wheels, so I'm not sure if I should try to bend it more as they are both perfectly aligned except for the toe in.

IMG_2490.JPG

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
OOOPS!

Oh geez, what I have I done? Oh well, it will make my Sportster stand out a bit...I worked so hard to get this thing right too...argggggg

IMG_2491.JPG

Swimjim

Like Forest said "It happens". Looks like your doing great on the build. Can't wait to see the paint scheme!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Paint time

I'm done Minwaxing it, now time for paint in a few days. This one will look pretty cool as a Tiger theme. I'm going for an orange air frame then going to apply Cricut tiger stripes that I cut out by hand. It will look like this when done... sort of...

f-18c_hornets_of_vfa-125_in_flight.jpg

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Got trapped at home yesterday with a foot of snow in a snow storm, so got some painting done. I figured out how to hang it up with a coat hanger to paint it all at once and used three coats of paint.

Ready for cricut decals now.

IMG_1615.JPG

I painted it outside, turned the snow orange, brought it inside to dry, stunk the house up, and this all equals an unhappy wife. I did make it up to her with a nice warm fire and vacuuming the house.

Last edited:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Tiger paint job!

I finnally finished the Tiger paint and decal scheme. The Cricut decals seemed to work well. Im no artist, cant even draw a stickman, but it came out ok.

IMG_2506.JPG

IMG_2502.JPG

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Completely finished and ready for maiden!

I installed the power pod, completed the set up and she is ready for a maiden flight. 910 grams AUP (all up weight with battery, ready to fly). It came in a little heavy, probably due to the paint and decals and maybe some extra glue in places. But overall I am very pleased with my 3rd scratch build FT plane. I still need to check weight and balance before flight, but since it is raining here forever, I have some time to play with that.

My pilot...
Pilot guy.jpg

FT Sportster AKA "Tony the Tiger" (named by my wife)
FT Sportster side view.jpg

FT Sportster Front view.jpg

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
MAIDEN FLIGHT!!!

We Finally had some nice weather to maiden fly my latest creation, the Flight Test Sportster. I have the stock power pack C in it from Flight Test, and it is a little underpowered, I also have two key fob cameras on it that weight about 45 grams, so that doesn't help at all either. The landing gear mounting area needs some sort of reinforcement too, I don't like the design as it dents the foam board on hard landings. But, overall it seems to be a good flyer!

Dented foam from landing gear.
IMG_2518.JPG

The flying field.
IMG_2517.JPG