FT storch built

Potter

I hope you were able to land and recover your Storch without any major damage?
Yeah it actually didn’t fly too far maybe 20 yards. I did rip a bbq stick from the pod off but easy fix. I think I had it too close to the paper when I built it. So user error I suppose

Bayboos

(...) As far as I know, single-engine, fixed-wing aircraft are not supposed to hover. Definitely not supposed to go backwards. I think you got the whole gravity/physics thing wrong. You might want to work on that. ;):LOL:

Well, You know. I once had a dream to fly helicopters, but figured out planes are much cheaper :)

Thank you. Yes, the Storch can handle much more than it seems at the first glance - just browse trough my videos to see it for yourself. Yes, it does require some skill, but believe me: not as much as you think. It's more like knowing the plane well rather than being supa-gangsta-pilot. Basically all it takes is to commit a significant amount of time (I usually spend one battery - approx. 20 minutes of flight - every time I'm on the field) to practice more and more difficult maneuvers (nothing fancy; just short take-offs and landings, one-turn patterns, low'n'slows, spot-landings etc.) flying in progressively stronger winds, without rushing things too much. And the plane being easy/cheap to repair (or even rebuild) makes the process much less stressful.

And believe me, I'm not done with this bird yet. My last one committed a suicide while testing one new feature, so I need to build new one with all the upgrades and optional features I have figured out so far. But having three kids makes finding some "free time" a bit challenging...

Potter

Well, You know. I once had a dream to fly helicopters, but figured out planes are much cheaper :)

Thank you. Yes, the Storch can handle much more than it seems at the first glance - just browse trough my videos to see it for yourself. Yes, it does require some skill, but believe me: not as much as you think. It's more like knowing the plane well rather than being supa-gangsta-pilot. Basically all it takes is to commit a significant amount of time (I usually spend one battery - approx. 20 minutes of flight - every time I'm on the field) to practice more and more difficult maneuvers (nothing fancy; just short take-offs and landings, one-turn patterns, low'n'slows, spot-landings etc.) flying in progressively stronger winds, without rushing things too much. And the plane being easy/cheap to repair (or even rebuild) makes the process much less stressful.

And believe me, I'm not done with this bird yet. My last one committed a suicide while testing one new feature, so I need to build new one with all the upgrades and optional features I have figured out so far. But having three kids makes finding some "free time" a bit challenging...

That’s some good advice I ordered A new 2200 Mah battery and I think I’m gonna get 6 buy 1 a month for the now 4 more months. I have 2 x 1500 I use now and 2x800 I haven’t used in at least a year. I had a Phoenix 2000 which these smaller batteries lasted really long close to 30 min. I really loved that plane you could fly up and take 10 min to come down great sail plane and I’m not that efficient. But I would really like to be able to be able to spend hour to hour and a half when I go out. Last year I moved into a brick and mortar shop and Being opened 12-8 everyday really limits flight time. Maybe I’ll start night flying.

I was suppose to have more time to do what I wanted with my own businesss super let down

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I was suppose to have more time to do what I wanted with my own businesss super let down
Being a Manager at the store where I work is like that. Everyone sees them chilling and laughing when they go on break, what they don't realize is that is 5% of their time. The other 95% they are somewhere in the store, busting their butt off, trying to get things done.

I hope your can grow your business to the point where you can afford dependable staff to run it for you, and have the free time you desire. That's a pretty nice goal. I sincerely hope you are able to achieve it. (y)

Potter

I was able to go out and fly today. had slight issue I left 2 rubber bands at home in my van so I had to use these thin ones so I used 2 think ones and 4 thin ones then plugging in the battery I pulled the rudder servo out I decided I didn't need rudder because honestly I don't really use it. so took off and the plane was turning to the right. I first thought it was the wind so I turned to the right and flew into the wind no luck still turning to the right. ok did a couple passes with right hand pattern I felt pretty good about the plane now I bet your wondering what could have been making the plane turn to the right. wellllllllllllllll when the servo came unplugged the rudder was turned to the right. so basically not having a rudder I didn't check it before I took off. I do have a video I will post it when I'm able to upload It to youtube. I can't wait till I can close the shop and go fly again.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
That is some desperation flying, my friend! "Oh no, I broke the rudder. Awww screw it. It's not boat, it's a plane! It'll be fine." I love your "Gotta Fly" mentality. I am right there with you on that one. (y)

Bayboos

I was able to go out and fly today. had slight issue I left 2 rubber bands at home in my van so I had to use these thin ones so I used 2 think ones and 4 thin ones then plugging in the battery I pulled the rudder servo out I decided I didn't need rudder because honestly I don't really use it. so took off and the plane was turning to the right. I first thought it was the wind so I turned to the right and flew into the wind no luck still turning to the right. ok did a couple passes with right hand pattern I felt pretty good about the plane now I bet your wondering what could have been making the plane turn to the right. wellllllllllllllll when the servo came unplugged the rudder was turned to the right. so basically not having a rudder I didn't check it before I took off. I do have a video I will post it when I'm able to upload It to youtube. I can't wait till I can close the shop and go fly again.

Been there, done that :) That's exactly the attitude that pushes your skill set forward whether you like it or not :) And also teaches you the importance of pre-flight checks, even before the n'th flight of the day, after you've been flying the same plane for hours. Do your pre-flights every single time :) Trust me, I learned that lesson the hard (impact) way :D

Potter

so finally got the video of the maiden uploaded to youtube some reason my go pro cut out I think because of the cold. but still got some of the flight sorry about the angle I can't find my head strap. so I had to use the parrot strap aka shoulder strap.

Potter

just for reference it's hard to tell but the grass is about 7 feet lower then where I was standing so it's a little tricky to land coming from that direction I like making right hand passes here because the parking lot runs along the grass but it also bottle necks in this area so there's trees just out of frame to the right are probably only about 30 feet away. I really like flying here because it's nice and calm when your lower when you get above the trees tho it can get pretty rough. I come here to play Frisbee a lot and it's really cool to see the thermos or maybe it's just turbulence but you will see the disc jump up 3 feet or drop it's really fun anyway. I ended up crashing and breaking the fuslage and ripping the rudder. so I have some repairs to do. I've been super busy so Idk when I'm gonna get around to them but hopefully soon.

Bayboos

The flight looks slow and steady, good job! Now it's the time for practice, but you already know that :)

only1bobert

I just finished building my storch and the battery area was a little sketchy at first with the velcro, what I did was cut the wing gauge to fit the gap between the two paint stirrers for the landing gear on the inside. I delaminated the top of it, glued it between the two stirrers and made a nice flat area all the way back. A couple pieces of industrial hook and loop strips and that battery is not going anywhere. The low spot between the two paint stirrers made it hard to get the hook and loop to make good contact with a stiff battery, now that its flat its no problem. Hope this helps anyone who might feel the battery is kind of loose.

Arcfyre

Elite member
I just finished building my storch and the battery area was a little sketchy at first with the velcro, what I did was cut the wing gauge to fit the gap between the two paint stirrers for the landing gear on the inside. I delaminated the top of it, glued it between the two stirrers and made a nice flat area all the way back. A couple pieces of industrial hook and loop strips and that battery is not going anywhere. The low spot between the two paint stirrers made it hard to get the hook and loop to make good contact with a stiff battery, now that its flat its no problem. Hope this helps anyone who might feel the battery is kind of loose.

That's not a bad solution. I usually stick my battery to the underside of the power pod with velcro (hook & loop).

Make sure you let us know how that Storch treats you. It will always be one of my favorite FT birds.

only1bobert

That's not a bad solution. I usually stick my battery to the underside of the power pod with velcro (hook & loop).

Make sure you let us know how that Storch treats you. It will always be one of my favorite FT birds.
She flies well, nice and slow for a beginner. Taking a beating for sure as I am new, mostly from landing her cause I'm used to a mini trainer and she has a much longer approach. I made the mistake and tried to fly the mini corsair today with not so good results. Its in a garbage bag and the electronics are in a ziploc now LOL