FT Storch + GoPro = No takeoff :(

slarti42uk

Hi all,

I wonder if someone can help me, I decided to add the GoPro to the under side of my storch (6mm depron build), between the wheels and in line with the CG. Balanced out fine and gave an AUW of 1272g (2lb 13oz).

I thought that it would happily carry the extra weight but I found that I just could not get it off the ground. The AUW without the GoPro and case is 1125g and it took off and flew just fine. (I have all the frisky cemetery on board so it's a bit heavy normally)

My power setup is:
Motor: NTM 2826 1200Kv
ESC: HK 30A
Prop: 9x6 APC e
Batt: 2200 25-35c Zippy

Any ideas what the max AUW of this plane would be? Is my power setup too wimpy for the extra weight? I'm wondering if I just didn't give enough elevator but normally I apply the power and if take to the air with almost not elevator input.

Cheers

earthsciteach

It should fly on that setup. Allow it to build up airspeed, lift the tail and then slowly pull back on the elevator until it is airborne. Be cautious and climb out at a shallow angle until you get a feel for it with the added weight.

slarti42uk

Thanks for the reply, I'll give it another go. I did wonder after I posted, if it was drag rather than weight causing it not to build up enough speed. I've seen the FT team putting GoPros on most things so I was really surprised thinking it wouldn't take it. It's also had a mobius on the wing and been fine.

Cheers