Ft Storch landing gear

TinnierTDOG

Just finished building the Storch with the free build plans, all i need now is the landing gear. How long are the pieces of landing gear wire??? Thanks

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Check the build video

I don't think the build video tells it. I paused the video multiple times to get a look at the ruler when Bixler presses the wire up along it, but you can't get a good look. It looked like 15" to me. But in the video it is never clear. Or maybe I missed it.

RichB

Just measured my unused kit and they are indeed 15.5 inches. Somewhere I remember Josh saying it was 0.100 music wire, but I actually have 0.090

eta: Actually I have three .090 and one .063, which is odd :confused:

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I measured my pre-production kit back on August 8, 2014.

Gear wire was Ø 0.90" (ASW 32 gage) x 15.5" long

TinnierTDOG

I don't think the build video tells it. I paused the video multiple times to get a look at the ruler when Bixler presses the wire up along it, but you can't get a good look. It looked like 15" to me. But in the video it is never clear. Or maybe I missed it.

Thanks man!

vontugboat

I bent my wire poorly, and decided to make landing gear legs on my 3D printer... plane07.JPG
More pics and a little more info on my blog.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I had problems with my printed legs on my quad - because it was too hot in the car ;-).

Do you mind uploading your design somewhere so others can use it? Here or Thingiverse perhaps?

vontugboat

I will be uploading on YouMagine for all and sundry to print and enjoy. I don't see any reason not to post it here as well. The current design (a bit of a rush) weighs 110-120g when printed in ABS with 1mm wall thickness and 20% infill. I'm going to add a few artful holes to lighten it up a little, and then post it. As-is it prints in about 2 hours per piece, only one at a time will fit on an 8x8 printbed. I'll post a more full set of printer settings when I post the files.

For your quad, did you print it in ABS or PLA? I had problems with PLA objects warping in the car myself, and switched to only using ABS since a lot of my parts are in hot environments.

vontugboat

Okay, did some work. Made some cut-outs, if the angles look funny, it's because I didn't want to have to use support while printing. The cutouts dropped the weight to 40g per leg, so 80g total, or about what the stock gear weighs. Render to come soon.

Attachments

• Storch Light Landing Gear.jpg
    Storch Light Landing Gear.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 36

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I'm not sure. I had it printed at a conference with a maker booth ;). But I'm guessing it was PLA then.

vontugboat

Yeah, when the temp gets warm, PLA will warp without warning. There are some companies making a type of high-temp PLA, but it costs way more than regular PLA and ABS, so I continue to use ABS. My new printer will be able to do nylon, which will be really strong, not that ABS is weak; we did destructive testing trying to break some ABS parts made for RC naval combat ships, even shooting them at about 1' range with a BB cannon repeatedly. Really tough stuff.

vontugboat

Did some testing; the original version of my landing gear is plenty strong enough at 20% infill, 1mm wall thickness. The lightweight version is NOT good at 0% infill. I will print some of the lightweight ones at 20% for testing this weekend.

andimon1

Hi there! I know this thread hasn't seen action for many years but the Storch is alive and well at FT! I picked one up this week and I'm interested in printing up these reduced landing gear models. Did you ever get around to finishing/testing them? I've been 3D printing with high temp exotics for a few years and I'd love to give your design a whirl on my Storch. Might you be willing to share the STL for some photo credit when finished? Thank you!

Okay, did some work. Made some cut-outs, if the angles look funny, it's because I didn't want to have to use support while printing. The cutouts dropped the weight to 40g per leg, so 80g total, or about what the stock gear weighs. Render to come soon.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Hi there! I know this thread hasn't seen action for many years but the Storch is alive and well at FT! I picked one up this week and I'm interested in printing up these reduced landing gear models. Did you ever get around to finishing/testing them? I've been 3D printing with high temp exotics for a few years and I'd love to give your design a whirl on my Storch. Might you be willing to share the STL for some photo credit when finished? Thank you!
Sadly the person you replied to hasn’t been seen around here in over 5 years, and they probably won’t reply if it’s been that long. Try posting in the “anybody scratch building tonight” thread or the “what did you do rc today” one. There you can post pictures of your building progress and other stuff, and somebody may be able to help you out.