FT Style F-14 Tomcat

AdityaPratap

The one on the left is a lower fuselage plate and the ones on the right make up the canopy hatch.
i have made this wing sweeping mechanism , from wooden scales and so far its working good

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 0

AdityaPratap

Very Resourceful! (y) Do you plan on using a single servo or one for each wing? looking forward to seeing more.
i have tried various other ways , but i am getting this much turn only ,do you think this is ok? and there is no option to post to video , so i have attached pictures

Attachments

• 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    510.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    530.6 KB · Views: 0

Matagami Designs

Master member
i have tried various other ways , but i am getting this much turn only ,do you think this is ok? and there is no option to post to video , so i have attached pictures

Its not moving a lot because of the length of your lever arm on the wing side. If you move closer towards the wing pivot it will have more movement but require more torque to pull as well. Your also going to want the linkage to be under tension. The way you have it now will cause the link to be in compression from drag on the wing.

1653241742995.png

AdityaPratap

now it works , i glued the servo head to the scale and let the whole body of servo rotate and then a i attached a rod to edge of the servo body

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    28.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 0

L Edge

Master member
now it works , i glued the servo head to the scale and let the whole body of servo rotate and then a i attached a rod to edge of the servo body

Suggest that you use metal gear servos and increase the torque value so the servos don't bind or strip(ask me how I know).
I used a different model design where I incorporated 2 servos directly swinging the wing to not only swing aft, but to morph in flight forward to a positive 30 degrees. Stripped even 2 cheap metal gears before I got it right.

DazDaMan

Elite member
OK, so having seen Top Gun and Top Gun: Maverick very recently, I'm hankering for an RC Tomcat...!

Beaver5150

So i started building the wings and sweep servo box. The printed parts came out okay, all i had to do was a little sanding and opened up the holes more. My first attempt for the wings was too weak but i am fairly happy with this set. the wing itself has a fairly small camber, only about 5/8" at the root so getting any strength is a bit difficult. The sweep box works well i just need to swap the linkages for something a little more durable. I weighed the assembly and so far it is 170 grams not bad since CAD was saying 164. But its getting heavy rather fast although this is where most of the structure is. View attachment 133946 View attachment 133947 View attachment 133948

I also changed the bottom in the CAD and added a plate to stiffen the fuse. I was a bit worried it will flex between the center "tube" and outer intakes.

View attachment 133949

2 questions:

1.) I was planning on using a 6 x 4 prop and grayson hobby supersonic v2 or something similar but am worried i will need to be near full throttle to stay in the air. https://graysonhobby.com/grayson-hobby-supersonic-v2-flight-pack-deluxe.html I think i can squeeze in a 7" prop in the slot if i modify the intakes to grow half way down the fuse but this will complicate the build. Should i stay the course and run the 6 x 4 or should i make room for the 7" and add a bit of complexity to the intake tubes. Right now i estimate the model will weight 600 - 800 grams adding the 7" also cuts down on the structure between the empenage and the rest of the fuse unless i reinforce it.

2.) I have never tried a taileron hinge like i have shown. My plan is to glue skewers along the leading edges of the control surfaces and then one along the pivot axis between the paper. This skewer will then rotate inside a cut down straw which acts like a housing. I'm not sure what forces to expect on this and feel i may be asking to much out of the skewer hinge. Normally i see this as a carbon fiber rod but i was trying to avoid exotic materials. I am afraid i will get unwanted tendencies with this setup if the forces are to high and the skewers bend to much.
Has anyone had any experience with this type of design?

Thanks!
I've had decent results with the 7 inch prop recently on a heavy plane (Mongrel Mk-1) using a drone motor emax 2807/1700kv and a g.f. 7x4.5x3 prop on 3S. Wing area 570 sq/in, AUW over 32oz and run comfortably half throttle just cruising around level flight. Max thrust rated at 2100g on 4S power, near 50A full out.
Might be worth a look.