FT Style F-14 Tomcat

mayan

Legendary member
That helps a lot! I may try something different but for now just did a dry fit of the long center section. This design looks really cool! Can you confirm CG with the wings extended? I’m hoping the battery will balance where I can get to it with the current opening. If so I’ll glue this in place and figure something for the canopy.

View attachment 137311
Looks amazing!

Matagami Designs

Master member
@jpot1 my CG with the wings forward appears to be 19" from the nose. I think you may be able to get to the battery from that small opening but motor wires, esc, and Rx and servo wires will be difficult. I would leave the whole turtledeck removable so its easier to get to this stuff. This way you have more adjustment for CG as well.

As always, good luck. Looks like you will have it in the air soon. I cant wait to see it finished up.

jpot1

Elite member
All done. I glued the center piece in place without the former underneath. Did the canopy out of posterboard covered in black tape. Using a smaller FT style power pod where the skewer goes all the way through. Electronics slide in and a 1300 3s in the center under the canopy balances perfectly. Weighs 440g without the battery. Using a Turnigy 2826/2200kv motor which on a 6x4 prop puts out ~850g of thrust.

Great job @Matagami Designs ! Maiden may not be for a few weeks unfortunately.

433158B6-8998-4CFF-9B9A-0E8BBA52455C.jpeg

5ADEE136-86FE-4A59-88D6-812205F67F1B.jpeg

292160B8-3F02-443C-B1E8-E60C75699FE4.jpeg

Matagami Designs

Master member
Maiden success! Flew unbelievably stable. Great design! My only thought is that if it was maybe 10% smaller it might be perfect as the weight would be reduced. At least on my 2200 kv motor with 1300 3s setup.

This is awesome! 😁 Thanks for sharing this. I think In the future I will do a v2 like yours. The swing wing mechanism is too heavy. It works well but I dont have enough power.

jpot1

Elite member
@Matagami Designs - working on adding some color. Any chance you can add full decals for the vertical fins? Specifically the yellow piece at the top and the inner full black portion? Going to print everything on a color laser and want it all to match up. Thx!

Matagami Designs

Master member
@Matagami Designs - working on adding some color. Any chance you can add full decals for the vertical fins? Specifically the yellow piece at the top and the inner full black portion? Going to print everything on a color laser and want it all to match up. Thx!

If i understand you correctly you would like the decals more like this:

VF-84_jolly_rogers_tomcat_tail.jpg

and internal ones with no squadron markings?

jpot1

Elite member
So I got the tissue paper idea from @MiniacRC who has used it on many of his designs. I picked up these colors from Hobby Lobby. I think it was $1.50 per package and so far 1 package has lasted me two planes. Just a light spray of 3M 77 and apply. In retrospect it would have been A LOT easier to do before building the plane! You apply similar to colored packing tape - start at one end and smooth as you go. In doing so all of the wrinkles in the tissue come out. Did this also with my A-10. No noticeable weight gain... at least on my cheapo kitchen scale.

Attachments

• 007F9150-746D-4457-A9A5-05586540ACA8.jpeg
    007F9150-746D-4457-A9A5-05586540ACA8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So I got the tissue paper idea from @MiniacRC who has used it on many of his designs. I picked up these colors from Hobby Lobby. I think it was $1.50 per package and so far 1 package has lasted me two planes. Just a light spray of 3M 77 and apply. In retrospect it would have been A LOT easier to do before building the plane! You apply similar to colored packing tape - start at one end and smooth as you go. In doing so all of the wrinkles in the tissue come out. Did this also with my A-10. No noticeable weight gain... at least on my cheapo kitchen scale.
So packing tape is laid over top of the tissue... I never would have guessed from the pic, looks like it still has the matte tissue texture finish to it.

jpot1

Elite member
So packing tape is laid over top of the tissue... I never would have guessed from the pic, looks like it still has the matte tissue texture finish to it.
No, I was just using packing tape as an example in that the tissue is applied in a similar way. Starting from one end and smoothing as you go.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
No, I was just using packing tape as an example in that the tissue is applied in a similar way. Starting from one end and smoothing as you go.
Oh right, got it thx. Looks amazing. How does it hold up to moisture or the elements? I'm thinking since you are using spray adhesive it will take dings and scratches

jpot1

Elite member
Oh right, got it thx. Looks amazing. How does it hold up to moisture or the elements? I'm thinking since you are using spray adhesive it will take dings and scratches

We will find out! It’s such a light ply tissue paper that I don’t think it’s going to afford any protection.