Aero_Knight

There is a post for future FT Plan Ideas and there was some discussion on the P-38 and I decided to jump in and do a design from scratch and it ended up being a bit more than what the original goal was. Thoughts, opinions, ideas are welcome while I finalize the design.

Here is the result of a day of modeling:

Mini P-38/61 "Black Lightning"
FTP-3861 Model (Completed).png

Turns out the scaling I ended up with makes the design a mix of P-38 Lightning and P-61 Black Widow design characteristics. I will post patterns once I have time to make my software do them correctly.

Some key points:
-Twin Engine with up to 4" Props
-Swap-able Engine Pods (Mini Firewalls)
-Optional Rudder Surfaces
-Two spar wing attachment (Carbon or Wood)
-20" Wingspan
-Bomb Bay Battery Access
-Double Wall Foam Structure
-Prop Flow Surfaces

Variants:
FTP-3861 Model (Puller).png
Centerline Prop with 4" or 6" Prop
-Side Pod Inserts
-Swap-able Mini-Firewall

FTP-3861 Model (Pusher).png
Push Prop with 4" Prop
-Fixed Standard Firewall on rear

FTP-3861 Model (Push-Pull).png
Push Pull Prop

FTP-3861 Model (Tri-Pull).png
Tri Puller

FTP-3861 Model (Tri-Push).png
Tri Pusher

FTP-3861 Model (Quad Prop).png
Quad Prop (God-Mode)

If you are up to the challenge, here is a rough draft of the patterns with some corrections to the lengths that may work. I don't have time to indicate the bend types but I will get to them at some point this or next week.

NOTES:
-The PDF is ARCH D sized scales at 1:1 but I left dimensions to help manually scale it.
-The "bend" lines are the centers of the bend because the program does not model foam board style bends correctly so I have to manually add the cut locations and such so do not slice the dotted lines unless it is obvious you need to. Go with feel if anything.
-I forgot to make the cutouts to mount the pods to the wing underside. Not the worst since you can make appropriate adjustments to ensure the prop clears the center fuse.
-With the exception of the center fuse most of the pieces should be self-explanatory but feel free to ask for help.

GOOD LUCK!!

Attachments

• P-3861 Pattern Set A V0_7.pdf
    28.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P-3861 Pattern Set B v0_7.pdf
    17.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

JTarmstr

Elite member
There is a post for future FT Plan Ideas and there was some discussion on the P-38 and I decided to jump in and do a design from scratch and it ended up being a bit more than what the original goal was. Thoughts, opinions, ideas are welcome while I finalize the design.

Here is the result of a day of modeling:

Mini P-38/61 "Black Lightning"
View attachment 133902

Turns out the scaling I ended up with makes the design a mix of P-38 Lightning and P-61 Black Widow design characteristics. I will post patterns once I have time to make my software do them correctly.

Some key points:
-Twin Engine with up to 4" Props
-Swap-able Engine Pods (Mini Firewalls)
-Optional Rudder Surfaces
-Two spar wing attachment (Carbon or Wood)
-20" Wingspan
-Bomb Bay Battery Access
-Double Wall Foam Structure
-Prop Flow Surfaces

Variants:
View attachment 133903
Centerline Prop with 4" or 6" Prop
-Side Pod Inserts
-Swap-able Mini-Firewall

View attachment 133904
Push Prop with 4" Prop
-Fixed Standard Firewall on rear

View attachment 133905
Push Pull Prop

View attachment 133906
Tri Puller

View attachment 133907
Tri Pusher

View attachment 133910
Quad Prop (God-Mode)

I have 1 F pack motor and a three bladed prop, count me in for a build.

Aero_Knight

I have 1 F pack motor and a three bladed prop, count me in for a build.
So word of warning. When my CAD software (Solidworks) "flattens" the components, I have to manually add lengths so the patterns aren't 100% accurate, especially with 180 degree bends. I will try my best to trick the program but it may take two or three build attempts to make the pattern valid.

JTarmstr

Elite member
So word of warning. When my CAD software (Solidworks) "flattens" the components, I have to manually add lengths so the patterns aren't 100% accurate, especially with 180 degree bends. I will try my best to trick the program but it may take two or three build attempts to make the pattern valid.

alright then, I have been warned.

jpot1

Elite member
I did mine as a pusher but yes tail heavy. My CG is pretty far forward on the wing and I need a 3s 2200 all the way forward in the nose plus a few extra washers to get it to balance. It flys great though!

Short video of it in action:

Last edited:

Aero_Knight

alright then, I have been warned.
If you are up to the challenge, here is a rough draft of the patterns with some corrections to the lengths that may work. I don't have time to indicate the bend types but I will get to them at some point this or next week.

NOTES:
-PDF is ARCH D size scale but I dimensioned at least one image on each page to help scale it. It’s 1:1 at that scale.
-The "bend" lines are the centers of the bend because the program does not model foam board style bends correctly so I have to manually add the cut locations and such so do not slice the dotted lines unless it is obvious you need to. Go with feel if anything.
-I forgot to make the cutouts to mount the pods to the wing underside. Not the worst since you can make appropriate adjustments to ensure the prop clears the center fuse.
-With the exception of the center fuse most of the pieces should be self-explanatory but feel free to ask for help.

GOOD LUCK!!

Attachments

• FT Mini P-38 - Version 1 Patterns.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Aero_Knight

This is pretty close to The Bloody Widow:

attachment.php
Ya the scaling kind of just worked out that way. I love both planes so it was close enough for me. If I did scaling such the engine pods used the standard firewalls then it would probably looks much cleaner and more towards the P-38 lines rather than the P-61 but I wanted to go mini.
I love the turret and black coloring on that model though LoL

Aero_Knight

Almost done with making the patterns more legible. Hope to have new set of patterns done tomorrow and will test them out this weekend. Just got my second F pack and prop set in so I am looking forward to seeing if this puppy will fly should the weather hold out!

Aero_Knight

Updated Set of Patterns!! Have Fun! I will be trying them out this weekend. Remember to scale properly. Set A is Letter sized paper and Set B is ARCH B so will have to figure out that one. Sorry I couldn't make that page easier to scale.

Attachments

• P-3861 Pattern Set A.pdf
    26.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P-3861 Pattern Set B.pdf
    17.5 KB · Views: 0

Aero_Knight

So I feel stupid. I have been designing using .125” thick board and the boards I have are 3/16” which does make a difference in many cases...I will see how it works out regardless LoL. I’ll have to redo things next week but it may work out...

JTarmstr

Elite member
Updated Set of Patterns!! Have Fun! I will be trying them out this weekend. Remember to scale properly. Set A is Letter sized paper and Set B is ARCH B so will have to figure out that one. Sorry I couldn't make that page easier to scale.

Set A seems to be missing a few parts? I dont see the center cockpit or cockpit glass.

Aero_Knight

Set A seems to be missing a few parts? I dont see the center cockpit or cockpit glass.
They are in set B. You need both. Be warned though I messed up and you will need 1/8” boards not 3/16”. The design needs some tweaking but I am trying to see if it’ll still work.