FT style Pitts Challenger / Christen Eagle

jpot1

Elite member
Just about done, gotta reinforce the center wing mount a bit. i removed the paper on the inside top of wings and then just folded the wing over the spar giving it a smoother then normal FT airfoil. Any guess on engine angle? Or how to connect the upper and lower ailerons? First biplane built or flown im pretty excited. I think you did really good Jpot! once i work out any kinks, im gonna make another one using the Christian Eagle livery. I think i read that the c pack was plenty, so landing gear shouldnt be a problem. Where and which wing is the COG

@miraspen that looks great! Yes, I did the same with the foldover wing. I like the smooth look vs. the typical FT score/fold. I used the same angle as I have been for other FT designs. I don't have the degrees, but two small washers under the top screw and two under the left giving it down/right angle. Probably around 2-3 degrees of each. C pack is perfect.

I measure the CG at ~1" back on the lower wing (measured from the front where the fuse/wing meet. Its easiest to balance this upside down.

I only used ailerons on the lower wing but I think another control horn or piece of popsicle stick extending out from the top wing with a piece of music wire between would connect the top aileron just fine.

Good luck!

miraspen

Well i must have tried about 15 times before i got anywhere. if it werent for the bean field it would be done for already. I was having no luck at all till i took off the landing gear and tried and it started getting better. It flies very different then anything ive flown before. This plane likes alot of rudder and speed. Once you get it going though it actually flies pretty awesome. Handles inverted just fine, rolls really good i think due to the fact that i ran with ailerons on both wings. I will build another one and see if only 2 ailerons tames it down. I like it, i think it was a good choice for a semi experienced pilot, looking to try something new. Regular power pod fits fine and c pack is plenty

jpot1

Elite member
Interesting - what size battery are you using? I wonder if the weight of your landing gear plus battery was too much for it. I fly mine with landing gear and a 1300 3s and it will fly fast as well as slow way down and float in for a landing.

Yes definitely rudder on this which I think is common for biplanes.

Glad you like it!

OliverW

Legendary member
Do you think I could fly this off of a B-Pack? This model looks perfect for flying at a small field in front of my house.

OliverW

Legendary member
“B” pack should be fine, just go easy on the hot glue and no gear to keep the weight down.
Thank you. Do you think I could use foam tac to keep it light? Just for attaching the tail and building the wings

jpot1

Elite member
Now that I think more about this, I made a slightly extended baby blender that may be better for small locations. It’s much easier to fly than the Pitts. Interested?

OliverW

Legendary member
Now that I think more about this, I made a slightly extended baby blender that may be better for small locations. It’s much easier to fly than the Pitts. Interested?
I am. My friend built me a baby blender that was fun, but a major handful at times

miraspen

Interesting - what size battery are you using? I wonder if the weight of your landing gear plus battery was too much for it. I fly mine with landing gear and a 1300 3s and it will fly fast as well as slow way down and float in for a landing.

Yes definitely rudder on this which I think is common for biplanes.

Glad you like it!

Wow time got away from on here. I was using a 3s 2200. the roll rate with both ailerons is just insane lol This is a very fun acrobatic plane. i plan to build another one where the ailerons on top are normal, but for the lower wing making flaperons. I also have switched from flysky i6 to a Qx7. I'm not sure on how to do all the mixes, but this is the end goal. I think i plan on blowing it up a bit may 40" wingspan.

DMiller

Awesome jpot1!! A friend of mine owned a full scale Pitts and flew aerobatics with it. I invited him out to our clubs fun fly this summer and he really liked the FT3D I was flying. I have been on a search to find a good FT Style Pitts( to honor him in a way ) . I am just getting back into the hobby from 20 some years ago and have really enjoyed the whole FT experience. I have been a long time 'Lurker' on the forums ( about 1 1/2 years) and this is my first reply to a post.

Again thanks to you and the whole FT community ( of course to include FT itself ) for making this hobby fun and affordable.

Blessings

DMiller

jpot1

Elite member
Awesome jpot1!! A friend of mine owned a full scale Pitts and flew aerobatics with it. I invited him out to our clubs fun fly this summer and he really liked the FT3D I was flying. I have been on a search to find a good FT Style Pitts( to honor him in a way ) . I am just getting back into the hobby from 20 some years ago and have really enjoyed the whole FT experience. I have been a long time 'Lurker' on the forums ( about 1 1/2 years) and this is my first reply to a post.

Again thanks to you and the whole FT community ( of course to include FT itself ) for making this hobby fun and affordable.

Blessings

DMiller

Thx! Post some pics if you build it. Glad to answer any questions.

jpot1

Elite member
Back to this one. Took my extended baby blender plans and kept the lower wing straight but added some sweep to the top wing. Pics coming soon.

jpot1

Elite member
V2 with wings dry fit. Going to attempt the rear turtle deck out of foam and also a canopy master series style.

CF5125C7-DFC3-43F8-BFD9-5A31859EFE0E.jpeg

D469D6F5-A035-4613-B3B4-66F8DF97942F.jpeg