FT... Thresher?

Namactual

Elite member
Thank you!^

I really did start working on the foam pieces this morning, honest. I even have a few pieces done.

...but, me being me I saw a few things I wanted to change...
Thresher05.jpg
1: I redesigned the nose a bit. I wanted to add that little extra mouth shape. Even added a little graphic for effect.;)
2: I also tweaked the front scoops by making the a little shallower and pulling them back a bit. From a side profile it captures the eyes.
3: I changed the rear of the lower fuselage where it meets the vertstab, rounded it out a little so it blended better.
4: And finally I added those pelvic fins. I am not sure what kind of drag those will add, but they do look cool. And like the winglets would be completely optional.

I am off to get the foam pieces ready for prints.

No more changes, I promise.:sneaky:

Edit: I forgot to mention, I did change the hatch to include the canopy. It's always nice to have more room to work on things if you need to and it does not look too much worse.

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Very cool! Looking at the "pelvic fins" beyond drag, the look like they may push the tail of the plane down?

DamoRC

Namactual

Elite member
Aye, those fins are just stand in sketches. Actually, those are just the winglets I copied and pasted to the bottom of the fuse.:p

Now that I am happy with the general shape I make the foam pieces proper. Making sure everything is square and true as well as the notch/fitment is correct.
Thresher06.jpg
I am pretty much done with the lower fuse already.
I love how easy these FT-Designs are built. The hour I spent completing the fuse here would equal days on my Phantom.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
found access to a Co2 laser cutter, only prob is the cut bed is only 29"x17". so, i spent the morning importing, ungrouping, moving, and preparing svg. files so i can cut out the racer tomorrow for a test. FT's plan's are 3 pages, mine are 5. once i got the hang of it, doing the work in inkscape wasn't hard at all.

cross fingers.

laters,

me :cool:

Namactual

Elite member
This hatch is killing me...
Thresher07.jpg
There are like 8 facets at different angles intersecting. Keep in mind each facet is is it's own 3 dimensional object that has to be placed and aligned by hand. Normally I would break this into two parts which would create a seam in the middle of the hatch. I do not want that seam there so I am going to seam the canopy instead. As a result it is a major PITN.(n) (this complication will make no difference on the build difficulty, just the design process)

It's almost done though. (y) Once I am done with the hatch, all of the body panels will be done. The control surfaces are done as well. The rest should go real quick.

Barring some unforeseen emergency, I should start printing plans tomorrow and start the build.

Once I start printing plans I will update the thread, and if you were so inclined, you could get a jump start on the build. Build a FT-Power Pod and a FT-Racer main wing. Both of those items are unmodified.

Anyway, back to work I go...

Namactual

Elite member
The foam-fu is done son!
Thresher08.jpg
Well, all except for the winglet. I am going to build the FT-Racer wing first to make sure my measurements are correct on the undercamber. That is a minor issue though, the hard part is done.

All in record time! (I still say we need the little animated dance emote)

It now boils down to making the prints and building. I may even get started tonight.(y)

Namactual

Elite member
As promised, we are good to go for prints...
Thresher09.jpg
This is the FT-Racer Power Pod and Wing as well as the Thresher Fuselage and Pelvic Fins.

The good news: the basic prints will go real quick. (y)
The bad news: the basic prints are straight black and white.(n)

It will be hard to judge what is through cut or score cut. No info on A folds or B folds, etc. I could upload the basic plans ASAP, but I really should at least do a little formatting first.

There will be no build guide for this, but I will take pictures as I go and will answer any questions you might have.

On that note, I think I am done for the night, but I start the build tomorrow.

Night all.

kilroy07

Legendary member
FT's plan's are 3 pages, mine are 5.
I run into this a LOT, (my laser's working area is 500x700mm) the Mustang for example, I had to split the fuselage into two pieces... (and don't get me started on Spars!)

There can be more waste with laser cutting, but I can't imagine printing the plans, taping, transfering to the foam then cutting... I have real respect/sympathy for those of you who have to go through that!

Namactual

Elite member
On a side note, the Phantom is looking really sweet!
Thanks brother, she is pretty much ready for Minwax and paint. That's why progress has stalled on that build. I really don't have the place to do that at home. I will take it to work with me one of these days we don't have a lot going on.

I worked on the deck prints for a bit this morning, but I was too distracted. I needed to get some house work done anyway so I just set some renders to cook while I was off doing other things...
ThresherWP1280.jpg
Made a little wallpaper out of one of them. Also been working on a logo for decals and the like. I don't know if this will get a full skin like the Rhino, but I will definitely do decals for it.

I am going to work on a few other things here for a bit, then I plan to get the rest of the prints done today.

Namactual

Elite member
There can be more waste with laser cutting, but I can't imagine printing the plans, taping, transfering to the foam then cutting... I have real respect/sympathy for those of you who have to go through that!

:confused:
:LOL:
:ROFLMAO:

:p
You think the printing, cutting, taping, attaching and then foam cutting is bad...
Thresher10.jpg Thresher11.jpg
You should try this part.^:cry:

Seriously though, it must be nice having a laser cutter.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I've only been at this since September of last year (Building, Flying... Crashing...) But I'm pretty close to starting my very own project...
One near and dear to my heart, I've seen it attempted here twice (both ended without a flying example) and a couple of profile planes...
So, right after FF I plan on starting the thread and "The Big Announcement!" LOL

It won't be easy, but I'm counting on YOU and the community to help out! ;)

And yes, having a laser cutter at home is pretty damn sweet... but it DOES take some time to work up the initial files...(If it weren't for me crashing so much and needing several copies of a plane, it wouldn't be worth the effort I think.)

How do they charge you? Time on tube/machine?
I would suggest cutting in two passes (to minimize the cupping on the edges you might be seeing) but if they charge/min, it might not be worth it... A word of warning (But, it's probably too late) Seeing that in action will spoil you! :p

Namactual

Elite member
And with that, the prints are done!
Thresher12.jpg
Oh, and look at this vertstab...
Thresher13.jpg
Those are US Legal sheets there. The top stab is 13.5x7" alone.

Again, these are the basic prints. All black and white with nothing labeled. Once the build checks out I will do a simple color code on the lines and label the parts. I will first format the prints tiled 7.5x10" to be the most compatible. Once I get those done and uploaded I will take my time and make them a little more polished and format a full 20x30" sheet version.

The build starts first thing in the morning. If I do not run into any issues, this should ready to rock by tomorrow night.(y)

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
dude that looks awesome. i'm pretty stoked about mine but that is cool on another level. if you want, send me the fileand i will color it for you so i can print. in return i will cut one for ya.

one issue i did run into was the fuselage length. the cut bead is actually 28 3/4" and i had to loose a little off the tail. this resulted in issues will the rudder and lower support. ie-it had none. next time i think i will chop off the nose instead. i plan on running a big spinner so i doubt the lack on the front will be as noticeable as the issue created by strength on the rear.

laters,

me :cool:

kilroy07

Legendary member
next time i think i will chop off the nose instead.
One trick I did with the explorer wing (which is massive BTW) was to cut a "negative" template for the wing tips. Cut the pieces out to what I could (max of laser limits) then trace the wingtips out using the template. Worked pretty good. (If this doesn't make sense let me know... I'll see if I can take couple pics.) I expect the same issue with the founder's plane (using full width of the foam sheet.)

Namactual

Elite member
I guess I could upload what I have, but these will not work for the laser cutter. My prints are in a raster format. Unfortunately the 3D software I use does not export vectors.

I will trace the rasters in Inkskape when I get to the full sized prints, but it will probably be a while before that is done. That is a lot of work. I went through this same process with my Rhino. :(

I want to make sure the build is good before any of that though. I already caught a minor print issue with the vertical stabilizer and had to redo it. Nothing build critical, but if you look close I missed the second angle on the leading edge. It was a completely aesthetic error, but it was not as designed. That's what I get for being in a hurry. :cautious: