FT... Thresher?

Namactual

Elite member
i will gladly do inkscape work if you can send me a scaled set of plans.
I certainly would not argue with that. (y)

I am cutting and building this as I type so to speak. I already see a few things I am going to tweak to make the experience a little better. Quality of life changes and such. Once I make those changes on the plans, I will upload a full sized un-formatted version you could import into Inkscape.

What is the specs on the PC you are using? The only reason I ask is 30x30" rasters @300dpi can put the smack down on your system. Especially without a good amount of RAM. I might just do 150dpi to be safe.

Update:
As stated above, I have started the build. I am still on track to have it done today. If all goes as planned, I can have a quick set of formatted tiled prints done by tomorrow night.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i run mac ox10, using xquartz to manage inkscape.

almost done...

20180707_152639.jpg

Namactual

Elite member
Great build man!(y)

I am done too!
Thresher14.jpg Thresher15.jpg
Ok, not quite done yet, but it's done for the most part. The only thing left to do build wise is make the winglets.

I could not be happier with the fitment of the parts. The extra time I put into the 3D model really paid off. I had a few issues, but they are not fitment issues.

First, I messed up on one of the Racer wings.:poop:

You know when you hit that awkward point where you know you do not have enough glue stick left to glue the next big section, but there is still a bit sticking out? So of course I run into this scenario on the second Racer wing. I grab another glue stick and apply glue until the stick is fully recessed in the plunger, I slap some glue on the new stick, push it in the back and go to apply the rest of the bead. Well, I pull the trigger and the plunger is jammed from the misaligned glue stick and extra spillover. Arg, I am talking major league baby punching.:mad:

Anyway, other than that the only real issue I had is kind of a big one. You will not be able to use a stock power pod with this build. With the wing in place it's just too hard to get in and out. I ended up cutting mine in half and it fits like a glove. If you look close, you will see the skewer holding the pod in place is way up front in the nose area. This means I am going to have to make a electronics tray for the battery and such. That is a minor detail though. I can have that done in an hour.

It does look good though. I would imagine it would look even better with some color. I am not quite sure how I am going to finish this yet. :unsure:I am too tired to think about it right now.

I need sleep. :sleep: Night all.

T-Richard

Awesome, don't worry about the power pod. Coincidentally I was going to build the. Power pod today lol. However this will be a lengthy process for me as I am making the firewall out or a 2.5mm carbon fiber piece and I have neither the right equipment nor the setup to do it... It'll be interesting to see how it goes.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
ok, if no one else will ask i will, whats with the little twin jet you keep sneaking into the pics? i currently have a twin EDF rattling around my brain as well...

thresher is looking good!

me :cool:

Namactual

Elite member
That is this build here, FH-1 Phantom. The one with the orange wingtip way in the back was my first prototype. The new all white one is pretty much done, it's just waiting for a coat of Minwax and paint. It is easily the coolest looking thing I have ever done, but I don't see too many people building that complicated mess. That is A LOT of work for a little foam airplane.

Those three birds in the last shot are the pile of planes that I have yet to maiden. I am quickly running out of hanger space.

Namactual

Elite member
I had to make a run to the dollar store today, I was almost out of foam. o_O
They had a full box in stock. Score!(y)

I also wanted to pick up some more colored duct tape. They were just about out, so I bought what I could, but I did find something else that might work while I was there. If this works I am going to order this stuff in bulk for my quick everyday foamies.

Anyway, I finished up the design on the winglets and should be building those in the next few minutes. That still leaves the batter/electronics tray, but again, that is a no brainer. I don't even think I am going to worry about it on this particular build. I can just attach the electronics to the fuse side walls, and the battery I will just velcro to the wings inside the fuse.

Depending on work/weather, this could be in the air by Monday or Tuesday.

Namactual

Elite member
The build is officially done...
Thresher16.jpg Thresher17.jpg Thresher18.jpg
See, all she needed was a little color. ;)
Actually, I was just experimenting with the new covering I bought. It does not look too bad considering I did not have a plan. I just started cutting and sticking it on as I went. That was an entire roll, which costs a dollar. It's really light weight too. (y)

Good news: It's awesome to work with. it cuts easy and it's not so sticky that if you misplace something it's final.

Bad news: The color choices are not great to be honest. Also, since it's not final sticky, you might want to reinforce things like leading edges with clear tape so it does not peel in flight. I will see how it hold up during the maiden.

All it needs now it the final electronics install and a maiden flight.

I like it, I like it a lot.(y)

kilroy07

Legendary member
Looking great! (y)
As far as I know, my dollar store doesn't carry colored duct tape... but now that I think about it, I might not have ever looked... :unsure:

What size is that spinner (I have a bag of 51mm for my warbirds...)?

Namactual

Elite member
Thank you gents!
It looks like I am on track for a maiden flight tomorrow as today is a little breezy. I might just wait until Wednesday though. I try to keep my maidens with a <10mph wind. It looks like tomorrow is going to be right on the threshold. Wednesday-Friday looks like +/-7mph. We shall see.

I used colored duct tape on the original build. (the orange one) It works, if not a little heavy so I would use it in moderation. It's also final sticky. Once it touches foam, you are committed to it's location. If you try to pull it back off, even a little bit you will pull the paper off with it.

That new blue covering I used on the new build is called "Magic Cover". This stuff is great, it just has a very limited pallet. I am using this for all of my quick builds though. It is really easy to work with and super light weight.

That is a 2" Du-Bro spinner. Your 51mm will not work. It will be 0.2mm too big.:p

Actually, I think I am going to replace that 2" tank with a 1-3/4" Du-Bro. It is a tad smaller, but they are super light and much easier to balance. I wish they made a 2" with the same light weight design as the 1-3/4".

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
When it comes to adding coloured duct tape or packing tape I found a NOT so simple solution to the repositioning dilemma. I just seal the paper with Minwax or similar and wait until it is dry before applying the tape. If the tape is not in the exact required location it can be carefully removed and repositioned.

When all is positioned correctly I then rub the tape into the sealed paper to ensure that no air is trapped and to make the position permanent.

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

Namactual

Elite member
Thanks Hai-Lee. I will definitely keep that in mind for future projects. Unfortunately my builds are limited to the confines of a tiny apartment at the moment. My use of harsh chemicals or sprays is somewhat restricted. I hope to buy a house next year, hopefully one with a decent workshop. (y)

Update: I am installing the electronics as I type. I hope to have the new battery tray designed and start working on the tiled prints tonight.

Side note: The reference material for my next major build just arrived today. This build is going to make my Phantom look like a NutBall. :eek:
I want to get started on it now, but I must resist...:p

Namactual

Elite member
Update: My batteries are charging and as long as the wind does not pick up between now and 9am, I am going to clock out early and maiden this today.

As far as the build goes, to get the correct CG I had to put the battery at the tip of the nose, 1550mAh 3s. As a result I could not put on the dust cover up front. I am going to think about what I can do design wise to keep the battery up front and not ruin the lines of the airframe. I already have a few good ideas, but I will not know if they will work until I test them. On a positive note, you will have enough room to park a punjet in the electronics bay now. :sneaky:

Edit: I have a pretty good idea I have the solution to the battery problem. I don't know why I did not think of this before. This should work, not complicate the build and keep the airframe lines as well.

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I love it! Looks all modern stealth like the way you designed in the angles on the surfaces :D

When you're ready to release the plans, please consider loading a version into the Resources area here on the forums (it's a great place for your other designs too!)

Namactual

Elite member
Thanks D!
Thanks Rocky!

I will release the plans for sure, sooner rather than later. I just need to make a few changes first.(y)

Well, she flew!:D

Actually she flew great once I trimmed the ailerons in. Holy smokes did I mess up on those wings! :eek: It took every last bit of my trim to level out. The trailing edges of the ailerons are about a width of foam off center in relation to the wings.

It did level out though and wow, does this thing fly good. I was limited to about 75% throttle do to a radio issue, (a new radio is going in my shopping cart tonight), so It was not a speed demon, but it had plenty of power to cruse around. And with that 1550mAh battery my stall speed was probably 5mph.:cool: Actually, I am not sure of the speed, but those landings were soft and a down pillow.

I did noticed the torque roll at launch was almost non-existent. I am not sure if it was due to the extra fins or the extra large stabilizers, but I am not going to complain.

The atmosphere was unstable at best. Calm one second, a nice gust the next, so I only burned one battery. During that single battery I did 4 hand launches and 4 landings just to keep checking on things. On the final pass just before the last landing I saw something fall off of the back of the plane so I landed ASAP. Come to find out I lost my voltage alarm. I have no idea how that came unplugged, or how it fell out of the back of the plane???? Somehow it fell out of the rear vent. That would have been a tight fit at best.

I am happy though. I had a bad feeling about this maiden. I think it was because of what happened to the first one. :sneaky: