FT... Thresher?

Namactual

Elite member
Thanks @Grifflyer !

I use a MacOS program called Cheetah 3D. It is a full blown 3D animation suite that is on par with 3D Studio MAX or Maya for a fraction of the cost. I must warn you though, the way I design aircraft using this is not for the faint of heart. It's not really geared towards engineering and blueprints. I am sort of brute forcing it in a very peculiar way. I can teach you haw to do it, but it is VERY time intensive.

Update on the Thresher:
Well, this is encouraging...:cautious: I found a mistake on the very first part I tried to assemble. :confused::cautious::cry:
It was an easy fix, but I just hope this is not a sign of things to come.
I have attached the fixed sheet below.

Here is the pics of the building of the power pod which is contained on sheet 05.
PowerPod01.jpg
I am not sure how well this picture build guide is going to work. :unsure: I might be better off doing renders of the 3D model. It would probably be easier to explain visually.

I am going to take Monday off to finish this build ASAP. The mistake I made was a minor one and something I do not see happening again, but I would hate to have people waste foam and time rebuilding something unnecessarily.

Last edited:

Namactual

Elite member
Ok, the fuse has been built. I did not see any issues with the build.
Well, no issues for most folks. I am going to have to rework my power pod for that monstrosity of a motor I am planning on using for this build, but you will not have this problem with a C-Pack motor.

I have to keep this quick as I have to go visit my pops here in a few, but I will add a 3D model assembly later.
First cut the fuse parts as shown.
01.JPG

Draw a reference line level with the two top plate notches to align the Fuse Doublers.
02.JPG

Glue on the Fuse Doublers as shown.
03.JPG

Glue the Fuse sides perpendicular to the bottom plate. This is a "B" fold. I need to mark this on the prints.
04.JPG

Glue the bottom rear into place and cut out the Stab slot and vent hole.
05.JPG

Glue the Fuse top plate into place.
06.JPG

Using the print template, score cut the Pelvic Fins slot into the fuse. Optional.
07.JPG

Cut out the wing cavities.
08.JPG

Install the Power Pod and skewer into place.
09.JPG

Cut the Pod Hatch pieces as shown. Note all score cuts are bevels except for the front tab which is a break.
10.JPG

Glue the hatch together as shown. Note the front tab, fill the break cavity with glue and hold straight until cured.
11.JPG

Once ready, you will add a tape hinge at the back and a small piece of velcro on the front tab as well as the bottom of the power pod.
12.JPG
I would not tape the hinge in place until you are finished with the build. After paint and such.

Sorry for the long post, I am really should just wait and do a build guide proper, but that could take a while.

Namactual

Elite member
I think we are good gents. :unsure: (y)

I just finished the rest of the fuse...
Thresher22.jpg
Everything fit as it should. I still have the control surfaces and main wing to do yet, but those have not changed so I know those are good.

I have like 100+ pictures of the build process that I need to weed through yet. I will see what I can do to get the information somewhat organized, condensed and documented ASAP. It probably will not happen tonight though, I think I am spent.

Again, the prints linked on post #99 are good to go except for sheet 05 which as been fixed and attached to post #102. Once I document the annotation changes I want to make I will re-upload a complete v1.3 set. I will also shoot a full un-tiled set your way @mrjdstewart once the v1.3's are done.

Namactual

Elite member

Namactual

Elite member
@kilroy07
@mrjdstewart
I have attached a full set of prints. (Edit: removed link) They are in three separate sheets, all 30"x20" @300dpi. Make sure you set that properly in Inkscape to get the scale correct. There is a 1" scale square on each page to verify the settings.

These are in a .png format which compresses VERY well. As a result, this tiny download will turn into 3 files which will total about 650mb's of information.

I have no idea what your computer specs are, but if you find these bring your machine to it's knees let me know. I will upload @150dpi.

I think everything is in order, but if I find any errors I will let you know ASAP. If you have any issues, let me know.

Edit: I am off to fix the tiled prints and will have the new v1.3 tiles uploaded tonight.

Last edited:

Namactual

Elite member
The Thresher v1.3 tiles have been uploaded and linked on the first post.

If you already have printed the v1.2 plans and started building don't sweat it, the only important change was the power pod top plate on sheet 05. If you have not started the build, use these.

I am off to work on the build documentation. I will post updates as I go.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
@kilroy07
@mrjdstewart
I have attached a full set of prints. They are in three separate sheets, all 30"x20" @300dpi. Make sure you set that properly in Inkscape to get the scale correct. There is a 1" scale square on each page to verify the settings.

These are in a .png format which compresses VERY well. As a result, this tiny download will turn into 3 files which will total about 650mb's of information.

I have no idea what your computer specs are, but if you find these bring your machine to it's knees let me know. I will upload @150dpi.

I think everything is in order, but if I find any errors I will let you know ASAP. If you have any issues, let me know.

Edit: I am off to fix the tiled prints and will have the new v1.3 tiles uploaded tonight.

downloaded without issues and opened in inkscape. this should be very easy. i think i will wait until tomorrow and do this in Ai down at the hackerspace. it will make it even easier.

been sick all day, haven't moved off the couch. raining so prob not flying in am, so thats good.

hope by morning i'm back to speed.

me :cool:

Namactual

Elite member
Sweet, let me know if you run into any issues.

I hope you are feeling better today, and I am looking forward to see what you think of the new build.(y)

Namactual

Elite member
Update:
I have my build pictures organized and consolidated, but the forum formatting was driving me crazy. :cautious:

I gave up and fired up Keynote to do a proper build guide. This is going fairly quickly now that I have the formatting down and expect to have this done tomorrow. It will not be as detailed as the Rhino build guide, but it should have everything you need to assemble the airframe without issue.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
downloaded without issues and opened in inkscape. this should be very easy. i think i will wait until tomorrow and do this in Ai down at the hackerspace. it will make it even easier.

been sick all day, haven't moved off the couch. raining so prob not flying in am, so thats good.

hope by morning i'm back to speed.

me :cool:

Get well soon!

DamoRC

Namactual

Elite member
Well, I was a day late...
... better late then never though right?

I hope everything is easy enough to understand and the grammar errors are not too bad. I did not spend nearly as much time on this as the Rhino build guide.

If you have any questions or issues let me know and I will address them ASAP.

Did I mention I really hate doing this documentation stuff.:p

Edit: Moved build guide to first post.

Last edited:

T-Richard

Documentation is well done, whether or not you hated making it.

Starting mine now, I am going with the wing and firewall first since my computer didn't like your plans (probably don't have the right software for it)

Built one wing so far using ft plans but using a proper box spar versus the original. Seems solid so I may not add wood like I normally do.

Looking forward to the tiled plans :p