FT... Thresher?

Namactual

Elite member
I just got my birthday present to myself in the mail today...
Motors.jpg
^^Thanks Mike@FT shipping and receiving!^^
My new EMAX GT2215 and ESC from a C pack. It's crazy. As many FT planes I have built and flown, I never actually had the beef before today. Anyway, The first speed build kit I bought was a Mustang. I loved the kit, I just hated the turtle deck. It was such a frustrating end to a beautiful build. So much so that I vowed to never use it again. The next aircraft I decided on was the Racer.

So, with the Racer I started modifying the turtle deck with foamboard. Which got me thinking about modifying the Vertical Stab, then the Horizontal Stab, etc. At the end of the day, the only part that was FT was the wing.
So now we have what I call the Thresher...
Build.jpg
Please excuse the build area, I had three builds going on at one time. :giggle:

It flew great. I loved it. My favorite FT plane.
I loved it so much I wanted more out of it.
So I decided to over prop it.(y)

After a VERY sketchy hand launch, (>90* roll before I gained control), this thing was a rocket. It was on rails and it was so fast it was a blur! I was having the time of my life!
Then I hear what sounded like a B17 @ low altitude on final just off to my right. "BBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!"
Next thing I know, what I can only describe as a face hugger from the Aliens movie with wings latches on to my face!

Needless to say the Racer flying at a high rate of speed was no longer a concern and she rockets into the deck at +/-100mph.

All that was left of that beautiful bird is that motor you see above. Somehow I managed to disintegrate an entire foamboard aircraft and bend the motor shaft into a pretzel, but the prop has not a scratch. :unsure:

So, with those two new motors I plan to build 2 new Threshers. One will use the beef on a 4cell for relaxing fun. The other will use the monster you see sitting next to it rated for 650watts. :cool:

The PDF tiled plans below are set for US Letter (8.5x11") or A4 (210x297mm) sheets.
They are in a .pdf format so should be readable on any machine.
Make sure when you print the pages, you set the print scale to 100%. Do not use scale to fit.
When cut down to the border lines, they should be 7.5x10".
Please print the print scale test sheet first to make sure the print settings are correct.

EDIT: PDF TILED PLANS ATTACHED BELOW. Build guide attached below.

Attachments

• ThresherBuildGuide.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Thresher_v1.3TilesPDF.zip
    945.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

kdobson83

Dang, now that's a crash story. Lol Its not even my plane and my feelings hurt when I read what happened. Lol That is one good looking plane tho. Any plans on making plans?

Namactual

Elite member
Oh man, that's the best part of crashing. The fish stories! You have to have fun and embellish a little bit. ;)

The best part is that was all true…

…for the most part.

Sure, I would not mind kicking out some quick simple plans for the modifications. It might be a bit though, I have two other projects on my plate at the moment. I will document the changes when I build the new ones.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Try having a spider clutch hatch and have 30 to 50 of the babies land on you with the web chutes they make to leave the clutch land on you and all start crawling at the same time...

I had similar results only my quad was unscathed. Bet you cant accurately count the rolls it did after impact. 2:30 for the actual crash not the gawd awful slow flying back then. o_O

jaredstrees

I had a bee induced crash once. Fortunately I was flying a bloody wonder. Those things are so quick and easy to build I had no problems doinking it and getting the **** outta there!

The thresher looks great! Look forward to seeing the plans.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I almost had a bee induced crash yesterday but luckily I was at a large field so I could run away from the bee and still "control" the plane.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
NOPE!

I would have self immolated right then and there.

In fact, were is my flame thrower. I am going to purge this thread.

I was trying to solve my spider and centipede issue with a gasoline fueled flamethrower made out of a Walmart squirt gun but after some testing my parents deemed the project as "Useless and unsafe" so it was cancelled. I guess its time for part two, starting fluid flame thrower.

Namactual

Elite member
I didn't go that far but needless to say I was well enough creeped out and twitchy after that I was done flying for the day.
Aye, self immolation might be a bit much... I would not rule it out though.

I was trying to solve my spider and centipede issue with a gasoline fueled flamethrower made out of a Walmart squirt gun but after some testing my parents deemed the project as "Useless and unsafe" so it was cancelled. I guess its time for part two, starting fluid flame thrower.
Did you tell them shoes are no fun?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Simplest anti-insect flame thrower is an aerosol can of insecticide and a lighter.

It does short work on paper wasp nests, (NO SURVIVORS!), with a 3 second squirt ending it for all time.

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

Namactual

Elite member
Thanks for the compliments gents!
Thresher1.jpg
There she was before the maiden. I had a few fitment issues with the hatch. I also tried a new technique on the canopy which did not work as intended, but the base is there. It had a modest 9x6 prop on it as well.

I think after fixing the issues above, and enlarging the vertical stab a bit, she should be a pretty respectable build. All of these changes are pretty much just aesthetics though. The excellent Racer design is all Flite Test. If you have not flown a Racer, build one. You will not regret it.(y)

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
What electronics set up would you recommend for speed? I have a large field at my disposal now and my love for speed is back.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Nice! - love the angles on that thing.

. The excellent Racer design is all Flite Test. If you have not flown a Racer, build one. You will not regret it.(y)

Agreed - I keep one in the hangar at all times. This is the one from the build off in Feb.

racer mod.jpg

Also extended the VS and HS and it has an E-Flite power 15 motor hanging from the front.

Did you make any mods to the wing build apart from the covering at the tips? I too would like to see even a rough set of plans for the Thresher.

DamoRC

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Any chance at plans for the less creative or plane-burdened (no-time-to-tinker-it-right) of us?
I love the Orange striping. and The look is great.
And DamoRC I still love your Feb Build!

Namactual

Elite member
@DamoRC
The wings are about the only thing left stock from the FT plans. I may get more aggressive with the design changes at some point, but I would hate to change the flight characteristics too much. It is such a good design. I am sure some of the changes I made will actually slow it down a bit, but sometimes you just have to look good at the expense of some performance.;)

@FoamyDM
I will make some plans for sure. I plan to refine a few things when I build the new ones. When I get them done I will post them here.

@foamtest
My experience with props is pretty limited. I mostly stick to EDF's. That Turnigy monster above is new and untested. The Beef on 4s is untested as well. I will get around to doing thrust and watt tests soon and I will keep you posted. I had just over propped my Detrum motor with a 8x8 for my high speed landing.

Thanks again, gents!