FT Tiny Trainer - BUILD

Il Grigio

TT with landing gear

This is a nice bird, isn't it? View attachment 88411 View attachment 88412
Sorry for the upside down pics, I think it is an IPhone fault. Anyway, I love this plane. On Saturday he had his first take off and flew extremely properly. Several flights on Sunday and still perfect. Need a new landing gear, but that was my fault ;0)))
Best regards, Il Grigio

Attachments

• IMG_7575.JPG
    IMG_7575.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7576.JPG
    IMG_7576.JPG
    708.3 KB · Views: 1

KB9KHM

Here's my Tiny Trainer with modified fuselage. I made the fuselage a single piece (no need for a removable nose) and added interior doublers so the external width is the same as the nose of the FT TT and the internal width is right for the mini power pod. The doublers extend back about an inch behind the rear BBQ skewer for the wing. I cut a small opening in the top of the fuselage so that the rubber bands connect to the rear BBQ skewer inside the fuse rather than outside. This keeps them from getting into the ailerons.

The fuselage is about an inch taller in the center to accommodate the "cabin" and make it look more like a real aircraft. And yes, it flies great! :D
TT1.png TT2.png TT3.png

trimore

Maiden Flight Tonight

Finally, I could not wait to get the field and wen to the back yard.

I am so glad I read this thread and put the servos in the back. I have to really stuff the 3c battery back to get the CG right even with the servos in the back. Honestly, seems like a flawed design...... :)

Anyway, flight went fine, about five or six clicks to the right and a few up elevator and it was flying straight. I started with the sport wing and this is not really a slow flyer. I have FT Storch too and it is a very slow flyer.

It is fine for me since I have experience from several years ago but still a little scary.

Overall it is a nice flyer. I was going to put landing gear on it but I don't think I will bother now.

tinytrianer.jpg

zombiefox

I got the speed build of this and just flew it today. It was a bit nose heavy (I could only get the 3s battery since it was the only one in stock) and I found that the rudder/elevator servos weren't held in by the hot glue too well. I've since fixed it by sanding the bottom of the servos as well and using foam safe ca, the servos throw but they don't wiggle against the sides anymore :D.

I have a question though, is it better to use colored packing tape to pretty this up or should I paint it?

TooJung2Die

Master member
Short answer; Yes.

If you're learning to fly and this is your first airplane, you'll be using tape to repair it. Tape adds strength. Tape is easy and looks good. I'm a better pilot now and all my new builds are painted. Paint is light, cheap and you can mix your own color but I have to pre-treat the foam board with Minwax for best results.
Jon

trimore

After about a dozen flights, here are some comments & questions:

6x3 prop
ZIPPY COMPACT 850MAH 2S 25C LIPO PACK
800mAh 3s 20c Lipo Battery

Comments:
--Good flyer stable and responsive. Only flying low rates at this point.
--On a 3s it is too fast to be a "trainer" IMO
--On a 2s it does fly slower due to less weight and less wing loading, more like a trainer, but it is underpowered IMO. I am using this to train my sons and sometimes power is needed to get out of a jam. Level flight requires about 80% throttle, so there is not much left.
--On a 3s, I can get about 8-9 minutes of flight going down to 3.5v per cell. Maybe 10-11 if there is no wind and taking it easy.
--It can really get blown around by the wind. It is a light plane and if a gust comes while in a bank, get ready.
--I put the servos toward the back, with a 3s, I have to jam the battery as far back as possible
--I will never use this as a glider, so the concept of multi-noses is neat, I think it add more complexitity and weight if it won't be used as a glider.
--I am not sure why there are 2 servos on this plane. It seems to be overkill and adds more weight. I think a single servo in the middle of the wing would have been plenty.

Questions:
--I would like to figure out how to use the 2s battery to decrease wing loading and fly slower or slow it down with the 3s.
--Maybe changing props?
--Not sure that there is any way to reduce weight at this point. I did cover most of it with tape and I see now how the amount of glue can add up.
--Is there something I am missing or doing wrong?

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I run a variety of props on my TT including some 5030 triblades. They have more punch than a 5030 two blade and less than a 6030 two blade. If 2S on a 6030 is two little and 3S on a 6030 is too much, try a cheap Gemfan 5030 3 blade on 3S.

You can also run a 6030 3 blade on 2S.

I have run a 6045 on 3S with the sport wing. Makes for a snappy flier.

The TT is remarkable in how versatile it is and how accepting of tweaks it can be. Try a different prop. It can make a huge difference.

zombiefox

Heya!

Just wanted to show off the terrible package tape paint job I gave my Tiny Trainer. I also had to use ALL the stickers I got from FT.
Dihedral1.jpg polyhedral 1.jpg polyhedral2.jpg
It's not bad so far but it's fairly nose heavy. I'm going to try adding some small weights to the tail to balance it. I've tried putting the battery back far but, whenever I fly it just tries to nose down even with the trainer wing. I'm not brave enough to try flying with the sport wings yet.

Last edited:

trimore

Heya!

Just wanted to show off the terrible package tape paint job I gave my Tiny Trainer. I also had to use ALL the stickers I got from FT.

It's not bad so far but it's fairly nose heavy. I'm going to try adding some small weights to the tail to balance it. I've tried putting the battery back far but, whenever I fly it just tries to nose down even with the trainer wing. I'm not brave enough to try flying with the sport wings yet.

Some, including me put the rudder & elevator servo in the back to help with the CG. Another option would be to mount the battery on top of the plane further back and I have seen a few pictures where others did the same. If it were me, I would not want to add any weight to this build. If you are using a 3s, you could try a 2s since it will be lighter. Mine flies better and balances easier with a 2s but it is a little underpowered. With a 2s, i put the battery just about 1/2 inch behind the prop, with a 3S, I have to stuff it futher back by about 3"