Ft tiny trainer build

Tony123

Hi, I’m a newbie at the rc plane hobby and I’m building the tiny trainer I was wondering if this would work for the motor? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D546LXK/?tag=lstir-20
Also wondering about servos should I use 9g servos for the elevator and rudder or 5g servos?
Also should I use metal gear servos or plastic gear the thing I was wondering if the weight would make a difference?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
That motor combo would probably work. As far as servos go, I usually use 9g plastic gear servos for all my control surfaces. It would be good to keep your first build light though, as it makes it easier to fly. Mine tend to be pretty over weight, and they fly well, but you have to keep the throttle up which means more airspeed and that makes things go south quickly...
Have fun!

FDS

Elite member
Cheap 9g servos are fine. My TT has 5g ones on the ailerons, they are still go8ng over a year after I first built it.
Those motors are too big for the TT IMO, I wouldn’t use one. The ESC’s with them are pretty horrible as well, I use a lighter motor on the TT, it ends up nose heavy for some people and adding a great big brick of a motor to the front won’t help.

Jeffo

I’m new as well, but I did learn (the hard way) to put the rudder and elevator servos in the tail of the tiny trainer. Less clutter in the fuse, and fixed my nose heavy issue. Pic is not my plane. Mine’s too ugly for photos!

Attachments

• 2F221173-606B-4DA9-AD86-AA09C4E22826.jpeg
    2F221173-606B-4DA9-AD86-AA09C4E22826.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 0

FDS

Elite member
That’s not a bad idea. I put mine a little further back than the stock location and built light.

K3V0

Elite member
Ha, I did the same thing the second time around.
E7F94DAF-37D1-42C7-9624-33D131E29C45.jpeg

Also, reinforce the tail boom, mine always crack and if you can catch it soon enough it’s an easy fix. I’ve used the A pack motor for a while and always had easy flight. The first one you linked looks a little big but why not try it out? You can always put it into a slightly bigger/heavier plane. 😃

FDS

Elite member
I buy all my mini motors off Hobbyking, their little 1806/2400kv with a 6x4 prop is great on the TT. Light, cheap, fairly reliable and pick up their fixed wing ESC to match.
Amazon is not good for RC parts, it’s all cheap trash combo stuff or drop ship overpriced motors.
The tail boom is more likely to crack with the servos on it than in the plan set position, you have increased the force acting on the tail whilst putting two big holes in the side and top of the box. Mine has them inside, I have smashed it really well three times, tail is still perfect.

01C7A391-D19E-4303-A39D-36D8A1CAC68F.jpeg