FT Tiny Trainer Motor options

Scott2525

Hi

Newer to the hobby. I have an Apprentice but my go to flying field always seems to get over run in the spring and summer. Maybe that's because it is a golf course. I need a big space for the Apprentice and was looking to build a trainer style plane that would work in a small park or field.

A couple questions:

Would the TT work for this need? If not, any suggestions for a newby(ish) flyer?
I have a couple brushless motor but my motor knowledge is limited so I am hoping someone can let me know if either of these will work, would work better in a different trainer style plan or if I should just order something different.

I have the following:
A2212/10T 1400kv
Unknown size 1350kv (very slightly taller and wider than the A2212)

Would either or both work? (2S or 3S?) )prop size?

If not I can order one more similar to Power PackA.

Also if not, what types of planes would these work in (potential future builds).

And finally (thanks for indulging me). About what size space is needed for the FT TT?

Thank you!

kdobson83

I fly my tiny trainer off of the emax quad motors they sell in the FT store. Don't know much about your motors but I bet they'd work. I wouldn't go two cell unless you have the glider wing on it. Itll fly slow as can be and a 500mah battery will last 10+ minutes but no performance. I fly my TT at the church by my house, not a lot of room, much less than a golf course. Maybe 1 acre of clear flying area. Oh, and the emax motor which I think is power pack A, on 3s with a 6045 prop and the sport wing is super fun. Power for days and will last about 10 minutes on a 800mah.
I highly reccomend the TT, I even put a bomb drop on mine for dropping little parachute guys. Anyway, good luck and have fun.
Hope it works, heres a link to me dropping the parachute guy with my TT at the church.
https://youtu.be/CsiRvB_2x1c

Last edited:

TooJung2Die

Master member
I built and flew Tiny Trainers with lots of different motors from a tiny 1510 to a 2212. The 1510 was too little and the 2212 a bit too much.

The 2212 needed ballast in the tail to get the CG right and the airplane weighed a not so tiny 14 oz. It flew as well as any Tiny Trainer but it flew fast because it was heavy and folded the wing.

The best size motors for the Tiny Trainer are somewhere in between these two extremes. It'll fly with almost anything you put up front but 'A' pack or 'F' pack motors and the equivalent are the sweet spot. My favorite is a 1806 2300kv with a 6x4 APC type prop.

Build it as light as you can and you can easily fly a Tiny Trainer in a soccer field. Start off with the glider wing, 2s batteries to begin and 3s when you're ready to go sportier. It's an awesome learning platform.
Jon

Last edited:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Im using the power pack A with a 3s 700MaH battery and its a rocket ship as you can see in this video.

Scott2525

I built and flew Tiny Trainers with lots of different motors from a tiny 1510 to a 2212. The 1510 was too little and the 2212 a bit too much.

The 2212 needed ballast in the tail to get the CG right and the airplane weighed a not so tiny 14 oz. It flew as well as any Tiny Trainer but it flew fast because it was heavy and folded the wing.

The best size motors for the Tiny Trainer are somewhere in between these two extremes. It'll fly with almost anything you put up front but 'A' pack or 'F' pack motors and the equivalent are the sweet spot. My favorite is a 1806 2300kv with a 6x4 APC type prop.

Build it as light as you can and you can easily fly a Tiny Trainer in a soccer field. Start off with the glider wing, 2s batteries to begin and 3s when you're ready to go sportier. It's an awesome learning platform.
Jon

Thank you, that was very helpful.

Like many, I am trying to use the materials I have on hand but I also want it to fly reasonably well.

So, that leads me to this. The only 2S batteries I currently own are 1,000 mah. These are bigger/heavier than recommended. Based on your experience, would using the heavier battery with the slightly too powerful motor offset? I imagine it may be a bit heavy and sluggish but is it workable as a starting point?

If not, is there another DIY model that might work better with this motor/battery combo?

Thanks again

kdobson83

What 3s batteries do u have to use? U can fly just as slow with 3s as with 2s, the only difference being u have extra power when needed with the 3s. If you cant keep you thumb from mashing the throttle all the way like me, then you can set end points with your tx. I feel like the tiny bit of added weight between the 2 and 3s is offset by the extra power. A 3s 500-1300mah coupled with your 2212 with a 6045 prop all the way up to a 8045 prop depending on what u have would be perfect.
Try what u have. What's the worst that could happen? ;)

Scott2525

Thanks

On 2S's I only have 1,000 mah. For 3S's, I have a 1,500 mah and 2,200 mah.

Sounds like I will try the 2212 with the 1,000 mah. Unless someone shows why it won"t work I will start here and see how it goes.

Now back to the build. It's time to make my hand sore from cutting foam.

Thanks

kdobson83

Well, I would try the 1500 3s myself. But I guess if you are gona use the glider wing, the one with no ailerons, you might be fine with the 2s. If u run into lack of power issues slap your 3s in it. But since u have nothing small, you could always go a little bigger with the plane. I hear the FT Spitfire is an awesome plane, very good design for begginers. And from their videos they are flying pretty slow. That and the FT Simple Storch. It's much bigger though. Both would use your bigger motors with either 3s battery you have. I personally am getting ready to build the FT p51. I heard it's a docile flier as well. Retiring my tiny trainer to use its electronics on a future mini guinea.
Well, good luck and enjoy.

Scott2525

Thanks

I appreciate everyone input.

The FT TT is built with the glider wing and ready to go!

So of course, the weather forecast calls for several days of rain. So it will sit comfortably in my office for a few days and I will get back to my simulator practice. I will post how it flies, weather permitting.

I use the HURC 2300KV mostly with 2S 850mah batteries. The performance is not great as noted but decent flight times. I have a 3s 500mah and it flies a lot better with that. I think any bigger battery with that motor would not fly very well. If I get back into flying my TT I really want to try a motor with more power. The problem is finding a motor that will fit on the motor mount that is any more powerful than the HURC 2300kv.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/HURC-250-Speed-2300kv-Outrunner-Brushless-Motor_p_1644.html

SteveM

I have just been given a new Mini Trainer kit and have a Turnigy T2730-1300 brushless outrunner. Will this motor be enough to fly this tiny e-powered glider?

Last edited: