FT Trainer Build Thread (First Build)

Logicbytes

I have been into R/C for the past 20 years starting off with a HPI Nitro RS4, about 10 years ago I decided I wanted to give flight a try and bought a Aerobird Xtreme which lasted a few flights until I brought it down into a Junkyard as I lost orientation (every time I though I had it coming back to me it just got further away) It was headed towards a residential area so I just brought it down to be safe. 10 years later and the bug has bitten me again, I renewed my AMA membership and picked up a FT Trainer and FT Sparrow. I have no prior plane building experience and I hope I can put something together that I can fly that is enjoyable and that I can eventually get my son involved into the hobby (he is 4 now).

I have this week off from work so I started earlier today on my Build. I was able to build the fuselage and the tail section. I made one minor mistake that I caught after it was too late. I glued the elevator on upside down :eek: My question is how will this affect the flight? or will it not make much of a difference?

FTTrainer_Elevator.JPG

richb2599

That won't make a significant difference. Good luck with your "Trainer". I just finished building one to teach someone how to fly. It's a great first plane.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Looks good, should work fine, its just a cosmetic thing anyway.
I made mine look pretty by ironing the edges with an old iron at 45 deg angles, both sides.

IMG_2346.JPG

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
No real difference. Perhaps an added bonus is that if it starts to delaminate you might see it sooner.

Millipede

I have been fooling around with mine. I found an old "plane" that never really flew well to begin with in the shop and cannabalized it for parts.
Added landing gear to help prevent prop breakage on landing and well, the wings were there so why not?
I glued a piece of popcicle stick in the fuselage under the zip tie to help reinforce it. I will follow up with flight details later.
IMG_4670.JPG IMG_4671.JPG
IMG_4672.JPG

Last edited:

Logicbytes

Thanks for the info, If or more likely when I crash the plane and it is in need of repairs if the fuselage is intact what would be the best way to redo the tail section? would denatured alcohol work or would it ruin the foam board?

xMeox

Haven't tried to reassemble anything yet. Glue some scrap pieces to gether and try it. I would recommend this for pretty much every new building, cleaning or coloring material. Better save than sir y ;)

na1pir

I have 2 TT one elevator facing up (trainer 2s) and second down (sport 3s). It does not matter both fly fine.

jtrops

Fwiw, I don't think alcohol will do anything to the hot glue, but it will certainly make the paper really easy to peel off. Unless you wasn't to remove the paper I wouldn't use alcohol since it may promote delamination.

I made my first TT with the elevator hinge on the wrong side, it worked fine. My current TT has the hinge ironed from both sides, it also works fine. I guess I never really did one the "right" way.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
Alcohol will loosen parts glued with hot glue. You can remove servos with it, for instance. I also removed control horns and firewalls. I've never tried to remove two pieces of foam glued together, and I didn't notice the effect alcohol on the foam board. I need to try this.

Mike

jtrops

Hmm, maybe I'll try alcohol on hot glue after all. I have used it to peel paper off, and it works great for that. I have peeled whole sheets off of dollar tree fb in one shot without any tearing. I have a spray bottle with alcohol in it just for paper removal.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
Hmm, maybe I'll try alcohol on hot glue after all. I have used it to peel paper off, and it works great for that. I have peeled whole sheets off of dollar tree fb in one shot without any tearing. I have a spray bottle with alcohol in it just for paper removal.

Papers peels off DTFB pretty easily without alcohol. Water resistant Adams seems a bit tougher. If there has been hot glue on the paper, the paper is stuck much better. I use a Q-tip to carefully apply alcohol along the glue line when removing servos.

Mike

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I would actually like to find a syringe to fill with denatured alchohol and use to free up parts. But, short of going to the downtown Seattle needle exchange program for heroin addics, I'm not sure where to get one. Maybe the local hobby shop? Doctor's office? Internet?

Edit: I used google and to my supprise, you can them on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GX9OSN6/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

Crazy, you can anything on the Amazon these days!

I just ordered a 10 pack for $5! Now I can tear the servos out of my old storch, I hope my wife doesnt think I have a drug problem...I have a FT problem...lol

Last edited:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
That looks good, I will see how these little ones work. The problem I have had in the past is not being able to get the alcohal behind the servos so they release, hopefully the syringe will do the trick.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
My repair method is simpler than most obviously. I make the new part or patch and then using a sharp knife cut the old part out with a knife. I clean up the area also using a sharp knife and test fit the new part or piece. If all fits well I get the glue.glue gun out and attach the replacement piece.

A sharp knife with cut through hotmelt easy and a heated knife blade will undo any seam.

CaptBill

Rather than bother with a syringe, or in a pinch, just use a coffee stirred. The same ones you use for push rod guides. Stick it in the alcohol, seal the top end with your finger, lift it up and place the down end where you want the alcohol to go, lift finger from top.
In many cases the same process US used in a lab with glass tubes.
Just remember not to stir your coffees with that stirred now, it taste bad because of the additive, making it denatured