FT Trainer vs FT Cub as first plane?

slick91

I built the FT Explorer last year and spectacularly crashed it about 20 times. I had a couple of decent flights but the plane is too big and I didn't have the proper prop on it (I cut the powerpack prop to work). I have a powerpack b, taranis tx/rx, and a 2200mAh battery. What would be the best plane to start with? I think 4 channel will be easier to fly based on sim time and most of the time I crashed the FT explorer because I tried to turn too sharp and couldn't bank the plane, stalling it or hitting trees.

Would the smaller A pack with the tiny trainer or the cub with the B pack be the way to go?

skymaster

Elite member
both are the same and different, both are good planes to fly but if you have a 2200mAh it will fit more on the cub. with the power pack b.

FDS

Elite member
The TT is much more versatile, it can be a glider, 3ch trainer, 4ch trainer and teach you acrobatics, inverted flight plus with a flatter sport wing or SpiTT conversion it can do almost anything, all off the same basic airframe.
It’s modular too, if you smash it you only have to rebuild the nose or wing (or both lol!) as opposed to the whole fuselage.
If you build it light, with an 1806/2400kv and small (cheap) sub 850mah batteries it’s plenty floaty too. Mine goes full vertical on 2s with a 6x4 APC prop. Batteries, 5g servos plus this motor are under $25.
Add a 1mm shim to the leading edge of the wing where it sits against the fuselage to add incidence, it glides a bit better then.
You can add undercarriage as well.

Arcfyre

Elite member
With the parts you have I'd say neither. The 2200 won't fit in the TT, and it'll make the cub too heavy.

Build a simple scout. It can handle the 2200 and it will still fly nicely.

Reactions: FDS

basslord1124

Master member
I do agree about TT and versatility but you got too big a battery for it and a 2200 is on the big size too for the Cub (although I have heard people use them). If plane size weren't an issue I'd actually suggest the FT Simple Storch (5 foot wingspan). Simple Scout is a good suggestion, I haven't flown it BUT did fly the mini version and it's a good plane.

Brett_N

Why not build another explorer, and put the ailerons on it?

Problem solved.

You've already got everything you need.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
As others have said, your equipment will work on the Storch, the Cub or another Explorer. You could also consider the Bushwhacker.
Hard to go wrong with so many good choices.

slick91

Why not build another explorer, and put the ailerons on it?

Problem solved.

You've already got everything you need.
I am really looking to get a smaller plane. I think the TT Trainer is what I am going to go for. It seems versatile

kilroy07

Legendary member
I really like the Simple Scout (NOT the mini)...
It'll fly with the equipment you already have and is a solid choice.

Steve Fox

CUB, CUB, CUB!!
The FT Cub has been my daily flyer for the last 3 years, ive built and bought all sorts but i just keep coming back to the cub.
Its large enough to be stable and also carry way more weight than most think (i often fly weighing 1.1kg!) but small enough to be agile and sporty.

Its tough as a tank and easy to fly but is very capable once you get experience.
Throw away the specs Flite Test give and build it with better electronics, FT specs are under powered.
if you look in the description on my videos i list the full specs mine has, ive also made minor modifications to the air frame itself and i also put my battery's in the power pod and not under, im happy to answer new builders questions if you make a comment on one of my youtube videos.

When josh bixler designed a 'docile trainer' he never anticipated it being flown the way i do lol.
There are many many FT Cub flights on my channel but this is my latest:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
If you're crashing lots, then I'd say the Tiny Trainer with the "A" pack. It's not really tiny, and it's got a surprising amount of power with an inexpensive motor and battery. Get a 850Mah 3s. It tucks perfectly under the powerpod, the way the plane was designed. Run a 6x3 prop and it'll run cool and smooth.

It's hard to go wrong with a Tiny Trainer. It's so versatile and forgiving. It's both a great starter plane and you can modify it in more ways than anyone probably has done. It's just a wonderful platform to learn to fly with.

Brett_N

yeah the battery is WAY too big for the cub.

I've been on a wing kick lately - why not build a versa wing? That will fly with a 2200 in it.