FT Tutor wing mistake…

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
Thanks everyone! Great tips and lots to learn from. Finished the model just needs paint. Eager to get this thing in the air!

This is by far the largest / heaviest plane we have ever attempted. Starting with a 3S 1300mAh battery but seems like it can accommodate something much larger.
Yeah u could even probably use a 3300 if it fits.

SSgt Duramax

When I was building coroplast planes, Some of them would have a leaning rudder or the wing wasn’t perfectly flat on the saddle. Etc…. But they all flew well, Just go try it, you might be surprised
I crashed my spad a ton. I only ever broke props and rubber bands. I think I did crack a wing once..... which effected nothing at all. Talk about indestructible planes. Although I bet those ones built out of gutter pipe would break if you crashed them hard enough.

The way it finally died is I joined the Air Force, stripped it down, and tossed the coro in the trash so I could take my parts with me. My dad repurposed the aluminum angle into something. I have thought about making a foam iteration of it.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...Starting with a 3S 1300mAh battery ....
A 1,300 may be a bit small. FT planes tend to be tail heavy, with a 1,300 I suspect it will be very tail heavy. Not sure what motor you are using, be sure the battery can supply the amps it needs. To caculate the amps the battery can supply, take the mAh/1000 times the C rating. Example a 1,300 mAh 20C battery can supply 26 amps (1,300/1000 x 20 = 26)

Be sure to check the CG, a nose heavy plane will fly poorly, a tail heavy plane flies only once.

Last edited:

SSgt Duramax

A 1,300 may be a bit small. FT planes tend to be tail heavy, with a 1,300 I suspect it will be very tail heavy. Not sure what motor you are using, be sure the battery can supply the amps it needs. To caculate the amps the battery can supply, take the mah/1000 times the C rating. Example a 1,300 mah 20C battery can supply 26 amps (1,300/1000 x 20 = 26)

Be sure to check the CG, a nose heavy plane will fly poorly, a tail heavy plane flies only once.
I have 3 battery sizes. 2S 300 mah for my micros, 3S 1000mah for the minis, and 3S/4S 2200 MAH for the big planes, and the 2200 MAH ones have worked in every non mini FT design so far. So if you need to move up to a bigger battery, the 2200 MAH seems to be a sweet spot. It works well with the warbirds and the high winged planes.

Aslansmonkey

I fly my Tutor with a 2200mah battery as far forward as it will go. 1300 will be too light. But you can add another battery for ballast I suppose.

I'll probably be making a parallel adapter to fly my Scout XL with 2 2200 3S batters (for 4400 mah).

dylanbeaudette

Thanks for all of the tips! Waiting on a 2200 mAh battery and some 10x4 props to arrive. Once the wind settles down we will take her out for a spin.

Attachments

• 33B5FB17-5060-41C1-B743-DD84446897B2.jpeg
    33B5FB17-5060-41C1-B743-DD84446897B2.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

dylanbeaudette

Maiden flight this morning, 1-3 knots wind, otherwise really nice conditions. Flew like a dream. I could feel the wing asymmetry, I think, with a slight tendency to roll to the left. A little aileron trim mostly solved that problem. Followed everyone’s suggestions to use a 2200 mAh battery for proper balance. We built using leftover power pack C components, salvaged from a wrecked Simple Cub. Used a 10x4.5 prop as suggested when flying on a 3s battery.

Take off and landing were a little rough, but that was my fault. Will upload videos later today. Thanks for all of the help!
F37242B0-3ED0-4978-83F5-616D186D9F4F.jpeg

FD204FEB-300B-4883-BF76-080113AD0637.jpeg

1D097E5A-EB6E-4039-B22C-A681BEA3D8C3.jpeg

9CED00E4-603E-4F15-98BF-61D97FF5153E.jpeg

Intashu

Elite member
I once built the perfect wing. Then I manged to fold it in half mid-flight! So I built a replacement... and it flew WORSE! I'll need to build a third Tutor wing eventually!

You can always build a replacement out of Dollar-tree foamboard if you want to try it again as others have said.! Glad it flew good. and it looks good too!

dylanbeaudette

A new mistake, this time while in flight. Botched a landing and went right into a basketball pole. Wing is repairable, but I'm thinking about building a brand new wing...

JDSnavely

We use a 3S 2200 but I bought a 4S 2200 that we haven't flown yet. Not sure if my son is willing to try it yet as he loves the Turbo Tutor just the way it is.

The answer to the perfect plane issue is to start scratch building from plans and inspiration and get on your way to the 1,000 planes club!!! (We also buy a couple speed build kits every now and again too! Just to speed up our number!!)