FT versa build photos.

sierra_bravo

2015-01-20 15.37.40.jpg 2015-01-20 15.41.07.jpg

sierra_bravo

built body with most of the internal electronics

I finished installing most of the internal electronics including the ESC,motor,servos,prop, and battery
I hopefully will be buying the tx&rx soon and will.

2015-01-29 08.30.53.jpg IMG_20150129_083029~2.jpg IMG_20150129_083038.jpg IMG_20150129_083016.jpg
-sam:cool:

sierra_bravo

I am going to buy the last of the parts for the plane. The charger Tx&Rx and some other stuff including a battery cell checker for inside the plane. So hopefully by 1/04/15 the plane will be fully built and one day when the weather is nice at my local park I will film a video of the maiden flight.
thanks everyone.

sierra_bravo

A quick update. All of the remaining parts are going to come Thursday 4/5/15. I will be posting lots of photos of the final build process and a short video of the plane test making sure everything works.

BankNYank!

Mentor
Looking good!

I recommend to check and double check your cg before maiden and dumb down the throws a little if it's been a while or your a beginner.

Can't wait to see some video!

sierra_bravo

Thanks I will definitely use that advice.
I am building the plane now and will post photos of the fully built plane today hopefully.

airhawk

Crashing Ace
nice job cant wait too see some video after you get used to it are you going to fly some fpv if so upload that too

sierra_bravo

Thanks. I'll be sure to upload video and photos of the maiden flight. Also I dont think I will fly fpv for now.

sierra_bravo

here is the video I promised. I also want to double check if everything is OK so if you see anything that looks wrong please tell me.

Thanks

Trippey

@ 0:21 , when you are testing your high rates, does the servo arm hit the edges of the foam hole? Other than that, looks good to me :cool:

sierra_bravo

I double checked to see if it is hitting edges of the hole and it isn't. Thanks for making me check I never thought of that.

sierra_bravo

I wanted to post a quick update saying that I did not forget about this thread I'm just waiting for my local weather to be right. no wind and 70 degrees Fahrenheit. I did have a somewhat question. I'm scared about self launching so does anybody have some tips about self launching my wing. I will post my maiden flight as soon as I film and edit it.

Thanks everyone for all the help I appreciate it a lot.

sierra_bravo

The "maiden Flight"

Well today the weather at my park was beautiful. No wind 70 degrees Fahrenheit not a lot of people. I get down and go stand where I'm going to fly the plane. While I'm plugging in my battery I see someone else get down with his RC corsair warbird. So I am using half of the field and him the other. I'm trying to toss the plane to get it into the air with no success with my best toss making the plane go 15 feet and then crashing into the ground. While the man on the other field takes off his plane with ease. So I am trying my best to launch my plane but no success sadly. The man on the other field starts doing rolls and flips with his plane. So I sit down for a second and watch him but quickly he losses his plan in the distance due to the sun and crashes. I was making sure my plane was fine from all the crashes and my mother quickly tells me about the crash and the man comes towards us to ask if we saw where his plane crashed so my mother tell him. So I try to launch my plane a few more times and then I have a bad crash in which the motor mount pops off and part of the body breaks. So I quickly got my plane set it down on a table and unplug my battery and check my C.R.A.P(Control surfaces-Rips and tears-
Angles-Power system). I then see the man come back with his plane and sets his plane at a table next to me. So we both look at our and each others plans. So we both talk about what happened and how are planes are. We exchange names and he tells me about all of his plane and all his experience including fly actual war birds in WW2 including a p-51 mustang. So then he tells me about a rc plane club about 10 minutes from my house and how there might me a discount for my membership because I am under 16 (i'm thirteen) and how it is one of the best plane clubs he has ever been to. So after we talk for about 30 minutes and then we both leave and I keep thinking about how he flew p-51 mustangs in WW2.

To the main point. My plane is badly damaged and I remember that FT has a speed build kit of a P-51 mustang.
So I have a new question, can I use my motor, prop, esc, battery, and servos for the P-51 speed build kit.

Thank you everyone for all the help and all the tips. It helps a amazing amount.

Thanks again

-Samuel:cool:

Last edited:

BankNYank!

Mentor
Hey Sam,

I apologize for not checking back on this thread sooner. Bummer to hear about the crashed plane. I wish you had some video of the launches and crashes so we/I could see whats going on and possibly give you some tips.

It's really cool you met a WWII pilot and made a new RC friend. I highly recommend checking out the RC club he suggested. A place like that should be full of people with suggestions and advice and probably a couple people willing to help you get in the air a little more successfully.

As far as the P-51 build kit goes, the answer is yes, your power system would work fine in that plane. However I have to say if your having trouble with the Versa then I would NOT recommend building and trying to fly the P-51 SBK. I highly recommend taking a step back and trying something a little bit easier to fly that will accept your current power system like maybe the Old Fogey or the Simple Storch with my first pick going to the Old Fogey. These high wing planes are generally a little more docile and have good self righting characteristics. They also both have wheels so take-offs should be a bit easier.

Remember, if your having trouble with something, get video of everything from launch to crash. That will help people like myself to give you better advice on whats going wrong.

I hope this advice helps and best of luck!

-Mike

Winglet

Hey Sam,

Hope your Versa Wing is repairable? It probably is. It is more than likely you did not include the required amount of reflex in your elevon control. It won't fly at all unless you do this. I think Josh mentions it in the build video but he really doesn't emphasize it and a lot of people miss that step. It is critical. What I mean my reflex is... simply set a small amount, (maybe an 1/8 of an inch of up elevator into your elevons when your stick is in the neutral position. That should fix your problem. The Versa Wing is an awesome flyer. I have 4 of them.

Good luck!
Mike