FT Versa Wing - BUILD

caveman

OK. I finally retired a slope Versa wing after two full seasons. This included many trips flying in 30mph plus winds and well over 2 pounds flying weight with ballast and really rough NM landing areas. Too many nose plants and cartwheels at full speed to count and lots of extreme packing tape. Even the paper and hot glue hinges have held up perfectly. With such a larger area behind the spar for ballast, I've even used extreme packing tape and sand to make extra ballast bricks to keep this thing screaming in 40 mph winds and shoved many extra battery packs in there and even a few cameras taped to the top. Cheap HXT900 servos, 9 dollar receiver, hot glue, straws, packing tape and an old NiCad brick receiver battery. More fun than most slope planes flown and cost a total of 20 dollars, best trainer ever and screw the landing zone, just plow it in! The only reason to retire this one is because the nose has no structure and the airfoil is so ruined that there is not enough elevator trim to compensate. Suppose I could just tape some ply to the bottom, but it only takes about two hours from start to finish to make a new one. They make great gifts! Thank you Flite Test team for giving so much to the hobby, especially this little jewel.

PS, if you have a high incline hill somewhere close with steady wind (or rough) blowing into it, lose the motor and slope it, you'll be surprised how much fun this is.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
I just got around to fixing the COG on my versa and flew the maiden flight today. She is fast! And fun. look forward to flying more.

Definitely need to work on my hand launches though, think that will take many practices.

Last edited:

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
I enjoyed my first few flights with the Versa so much I decided to build a cargo drop bay, since it looks like a B-2.

Here is the finished bay.

IMG_20150401_190507776_zpswdpmd6rx.jpg

I also wanted to make it hold/protect my 808 camera, so I built in a small compartment in the front.

With the camera mount.

IMG_20150331_204830321_zps7q1dgttk.jpg

Camera in the mount.

IMG_20150331_204939534_zpsmqcisrau.jpg

Camera lens through the front of the housing, this was before I folded up the center section so it is still white.

IMG_20150331_204946948_zpse9vldf9i.jpg

Here is a video of the cargo door in action.

I flew through 2 3S-1300mAh batteries, about 6 minutes a flight, with this configuration and it works great! I am going to try to rig up a platform on the tail end that will hold an 808 facing backwards on a downward angle to capture drops, more to come on that.

Video from the above setup.

Last edited:

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Built a 70% and it flies as good as the full scale!

Running Emax 1806, 12A ESC, 1300mAh battery, 6*4.5 prop.

IMG_20150610_213151972_HDR_zpslnaji5nw.jpg

Video from the first flights, from 808 #16, a little out of focus.

Last edited:

viggen

hi,i want to use my wing for slope soaring.what are your setup's,weight and what are you using to get the correct cg?
thanks

laury415

I'm sure this has been answered but I didn't see it.

I want to build the Versa wing as a pusher for combat and speed. Any input on the best motor/battery set up that gives good speed, and can fly for at least 5 minutes? Also, any mods to reinforce the front for combat duty?

Thanks

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I'm sure this has been answered but I didn't see it.

I want to build the Versa wing as a pusher for combat and speed. Any input on the best motor/battery set up that gives good speed, and can fly for at least 5 minutes? Also, ay mods to reinforce the front for combat duty?

Thanks

D2826- 6 2200kv
40A ESC
3s2200 (in the nose + lead for fine balance)
fast 6" or slow 7" prop (propped to taste)

That should give you good getup-and-go for 8-10 minutes of flight time.

As for resilance:
- fill the nose tip with hot glue.
- melt a 1/16" fiberglass rod in the leading edge as you fold the wing (look for cheap kite kits with white rods)
- replace the outer paper layer with packing tape
- line the LE with Extreme packing tape
- add a coroplast plate on the bottom over the center joint for a landing skid and to reinforce the root joint.

She'll never be Assassin wing durable, but it's not hard to maker her pretty tough.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
My two versas ran the setup CraftyDan is suggesting...though I cheaped out and only used a 20a ESC - with a good overrated ESC that works...with a Red Brick...I got smoke in less than a minute :D

On a 5x5" master airscrew that 2826-6 makes for a rather quick wing that gave me 8 minute flights with mah to spare. I tired it on a 7x4 as well...but...it really needs a bigger ESC. I posted more details here: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?5096-FT-Versa-Wing-BUILD&p=66210&viewfull=1#post66210

I really need to finish the blunt nose version I started building over a year ago for FPV and have yet to finish. Been thinking about it a lot lately...just haven't had room to work on it :D

laury415

Thanks Crafty Dan, I was actually toying with the idea of making the whole wing out of Coroplast. I have an 8' x 4' sheet of it that I got for free.

I was also debating wether to build the Versa Wing or just buy an Assassin. Most of the guys I combat with have assassins.

Laury

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
I have been having so much fun with my 70% MiniV that I have neglected my full size Versa. This morning I finally got around to cutting the blunt nose section out to rebuild.

IMG_20150728_090916_zpsmilihemv.jpg

I had a few good nose in impacts, including one fast head on with a handicap port-o-potty, and the BN was starting to become a little blunt vertically. I plan to rebuild the BN, possibly a little narrower, and to include a GoPro mounting option on the nose. I will likely try to make it a modular style so that if I remove the camera then I can insert a space filler that is the same weight but fits the shape of the wing better.

I am very tempted to do a complete rebuild and use the extended wings like I did with my MiniV. I like the way it kind of slides through the air more than it did with the vertical fins.

IMG_20150724_185146222_HDR_zpsosgbzvon.jpg

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?19439-Neve-s-70-Blunt-nise-Versa-Wing-build/

Last edited:

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Last night I got the Versa blunt nose section glued in and then took her out for some flights. I realized, before I tossed it into the air, that the push rods are rather loose in the wooden control horns and allow for a fair bit of slop. I will be pulling the push rods and fixing that before the next flight. The first few flights I ran it on a 3s 1300mAh battery and it has plenty of speed. After 5 mins on that battery I landed and put 2x 2s 850mAh batteries in parallel and it was noticeably less powerful, obviously, but it still flew ok.

IMG_20150729_190259032_zpsco2zszbc.jpg

I took some clips from the multiple flights and made a compilation up, includes GoPro and 808 #16 V3 camera footage.

Last edited:

mybad

I need some help/advice

I never flew a wing before, and need help/advice in two areas:

I finished building my scratchbuilt VERSA three days ago and maidened it in 20 mph winds. It flew pretty good, but the motor mount broke off the Styrofoam after a very gentle landing. Looks like I cut into the foam when I removed the paper from the inner foam floor. Well, I really reinforced it all and flew again yesterday in 20 - 30 mph winds. This time the flite test wooden motor mount broke (actually came apart at the glue joint). I think this is due to the propeller dragging into the ground on landing. I am using a 7 inch APC propeller. Should I switch to a flexible (orange) one instead? Is there a way to protect a rigid prop?

I had a lot of trouble launching it. Three out of four launches crashed into the ground. Once in the air, I could fly it no problem. It was a screamer at full throttle, and flew nicely at about 1/3. I tried right-hand launches holding onto the leading edge of the left wing, both thumb up and thumb down. Thumb down never worked for me. Thumb up was successful 25% of the time. The other 75% were "wild pitches" into the ground even though I tried to throw it straight. WHAT am I doing wrong? Is it just a matter of practice? Was the gusty wind to blame, or was it me?

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
I never flew a wing before, and need help/advice in two areas:

I finished building my scratchbuilt VERSA three days ago and maidened it in 20 mph winds. It flew pretty good, but the motor mount broke off the Styrofoam after a very gentle landing. Looks like I cut into the foam when I removed the paper from the inner foam floor. Well, I really reinforced it all and flew again yesterday in 20 - 30 mph winds. This time the flite test wooden motor mount broke (actually came apart at the glue joint). I think this is due to the propeller dragging into the ground on landing. I am using a 7 inch APC propeller. Should I switch to a flexible (orange) one instead? Is there a way to protect a rigid prop?

I had a lot of trouble launching it. Three out of four launches crashed into the ground. Once in the air, I could fly it no problem. It was a screamer at full throttle, and flew nicely at about 1/3. I tried right-hand launches holding onto the leading edge of the left wing, both thumb up and thumb down. Thumb down never worked for me. Thumb up was successful 25% of the time. The other 75% were "wild pitches" into the ground even though I tried to throw it straight. WHAT am I doing wrong? Is it just a matter of practice? Was the gusty wind to blame, or was it me?

I had trouble with one of my wood firewalls staying together with hot glue, so i used CA and haven't had another issue with it. I am running an 8" prop and haven't had any issues with the stiff prop breaking or removing the motor mount.

I do left handed launches so that my right hand is on the controls from the start. I bump the throttle up with my leg or something like that, I have used my mouth once or twice. I had issues with my first 3-5 launches but then something just clicked and I don't really have issues any more. I too hold by the leading edge, thumb down, and I think it's all about learning the right time to release. On the early launches I was holding on too long and that was causing a lot of wobble that took a good bit of distance/altitude to correct, now I tend to toss up at 15-20deg above horizon and of course always into the wind (if there is any).

The beginning of the video I posted above has me launching it, from rear viewing camera. Maybe I will get a chance to go out tonight and fly a little, if so I will try to setup a side camera to capture some hand launches.

AeroMaestro

Forgive me if I tell you things you already know.

20mph winds is an awful lot for the Versa. I eventually installed a cheap stabilizer in mine, and 15mph was still pretty bumpy. Make sure you're starting into the wind. A downwind or crosswind launch with a wing is bad news.

I'll second the comment above about using CA glue on the wooden firewall. It's held well for me. I also reinforce my firewalls with packing tape, but you have to put the tape on before you mount the motor. That being said, a badly balanced propeller can vibrate apart the firewall pretty quickly.

I also run an APC prop, and I've only broken one, with a bad landing on asphalt. You didn't mention if you're running a pusher or puller setup, but my guess is a puller is more likely to break a prop on landing since the propeller blade can get caught under the plane as it comes down.

I launch with my right hand, because I like to have throttle control with my left while I'm launching. I always have my transmitter on a neck strap, so I don't have to do any of that silly business using my mouth or elbow to turn the throttle up. I just kick throttle up to about 75%+ until I can feel the plane beginning to lift itself in my hand. Then a gentle toss is all it takes... more of a release than a throw.

mybad

Thank you both. I cannot figure how to multi-quote, so I will just wing it.

The mount came from another plane, and was poorly CA'd together. That has been fixed.

Maybe it is just practice. Your experience sound like mine. I think I'm holding onto it too long.

Its been windy ever since I built the Versa Friday. Today the winds were 15 gusting to 20 and I actually launched it without crashing the two times I tried. Third time's the charm so I stopped at TWO! Can't wait for a calm day.

Hmmm. Throttle it up and let it basically fly out of your hand with a gentle toss? I will try that next time. I've been trying for more of a discuss launch (I guess ... never flew a discuss launch glider).

I have a 7x5 prop on a Turnigy Park 480 1320kv motor with a 3S 2200 Gens Ace 25C battery. It's what I had on hand. I robbed it from my brushless Super Cub conversion. It is screaming fast (for me) at full throttle, so I fly it around 30%. It is twitchy at full throttle. It cannot do unlimited vertical, but that may be due to the gusty wind. Maybe I need a 7x4 prop instead (more thrust/less speed).

mybad

THANKS for taking the time and effort to post that video! You sure make it look easy. Hopefully I will do likewise with some practice.

After work, I tried to toss it up at a higher angle, but the gusty wind was fighting me and I more or less had to toss it straight, causing it to drop almost skimming the grass! Once in the air it was OK.

Tomorrow is supposed to be 10 mph gusting to 15, so maybe I'll just have to wait for less wind. That's SE Michigan for you.

Thanks again!

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
This past weekend I built a new Versa wing, I finished it up at about 9pm on Saturday, maidened it at about 9:15pm, crashed it into trees at about 9:30pm.

Here are pictures from Saturday night before flying. I built this one with extended wing tips, it flew well with them. However when it fell out of the tree the one wing tip took all the impact and got a bit creased. Sunday I cut them off and added vertical fins.

IMG_20150808_203519684_HDR_zpsmz4aurnp.jpg

IMG_20150808_203503992_zpscjkdvklp.jpg

Then on Sunday I fixed it up and flew it at a larger park. On the 4th battery pack I managed to smack the ground with it, tossing the GoPro a good 30 feet ahead of it.

I then put a new battery in it and tossed it back in the air, no problems! on the last pack of the day I decided to try to do some high speed dives, the last one attempting a roll while diving. That ended with the motor/mount, battery and GoPro being ejected and the airframe damaged beyond simple repairs. Oh well, that's the joy of DTFB builds!

Last edited:
20mph winds is an awful lot for the Versa. I eventually installed a cheap stabilizer in mine, and 15mph was still pretty bumpy. Make sure you're starting into the wind. A downwind or crosswind launch with a wing is bad news.

On the contrary, 20 mph is just about perfect!! A stabilizer is not a bad idea! I did find that a little nose weight was helpful for better penetration!