FT Versa Wing - BUILD

Todd L

Looks GREAT!!! Its a great plane to beat up that's for sure.. I got my son soloed on my Versa's. He's just gotta work on landing a plane with a landing gear... LOL!! All in all I have built 3 wings so far.. One for just flying around, one for night flight, and just got my pusher wing off the ground this weekend. Great planes all of them!

Dino

Corrugated Plastic Versa Wing is done. Go flying it right now !
IMAG0604.jpg
IMAG0605.jpg

DennisSwe

nice!! :)

We´re going out in ~2h.
Will fpv my Versa, and see if my wife wants to film when I fly..

Then I´ll maiden our rc-clubs Bixler-trainer, nice to have a great electric trainer. :)

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
The AXN motor will do just fine! No bigger than 7" prop though. I also would use a 30A esc.

Thurmond

I don't know, but seems like that 180 watts motor would be good enough; keep the flying weight under 2 pounds I guess. I usually use the info below as a reference:

* 50-70 watts per pound; Minimum level of power for decent performance

* 70-90 watts per pound; Trainer and slow flying scale models

* 90-110 watts per pound; Sport aerobatic and fast flying scale models

* 110-130 watts per pound; Advanced aerobatic and high-speed models

* 130-150 watts per pound; Lightly loaded 3D models and ducted fans

* 150-200+ watts per pound; Unlimited performance 3D models

http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/EFLDeterminingPowerRequirement.pdf
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/reviews/976/ampd3.pdf

DDSFlyer

AAAAaaaa I don't know. I think it needs to be bigger like a 28xx

Dino that's what I originally thought, but thanks for the confidence guys. I may try to use the setup that came with the floater jet but their ESC's are 20 amp and prone to go poof! Might just try it for fun while it lasts though

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Dino that's what I originally thought, but thanks for the confidence guys. I may try to use the setup that came with the floater jet but their ESC's are 20 amp and prone to go poof! Might just try it for fun while it lasts though

You will be good as long as you use the floater jet prop as well. I am pretty sure your power to weight ratio will be improved over the heavier floater jet as well.

Thurmond

DDSFlyer

Floater jet comes with a 5x5 prop. I fly mine around with a 6x4 or 6x5.5. With this stock 20amp ESC I prob would be safer to stay with the 5x5 or 6x4 though. Thanks for the encouraging advice! I think I may try it out and let you all know how it goes. Never flew a wing before though so this will be something fun and new

Hmm cut out the plans last night, will likely be cutting foam tonight to make a night flyer for this, have some Minwax treated board and a simple light set that's 4 strings of lights with a balance tap adapter, primarily for a quad but will work well for lighting the wing from inside, mounted fore and aft on the spar.

Current debate is pusher or tractor, I've got a pod already together with a Suppo 2208/17 running a 9" prop on 3s, it ran my recently crashed Bloody Wonder like a champ. Can either build for tractor for a quick conversion or fire up the scroll saw to cut out a pusher mount from light ply, then battle for CG. If I stay with 9" prop have to tweak the aileron width and location of the servo arm cutouts.

Decisions decisions, pusher or tractor. Leaning tractor, will be a slight bit quieter too I think, which helps when running night flyers in a residential neighborhood.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Hmm cut out the plans last night, will likely be cutting foam tonight to make a night flyer for this, have some Minwax treated board and a simple light set that's 4 strings of lights with a balance tap adapter, primarily for a quad but will work well for lighting the wing from inside, mounted fore and aft on the spar.

Current debate is pusher or tractor, I've got a pod already together with a Suppo 2208/17 running a 9" prop on 3s, it ran my recently crashed Bloody Wonder like a champ. Can either build for tractor for a quick conversion or fire up the scroll saw to cut out a pusher mount from light ply, then battle for CG. If I stay with 9" prop have to tweak the aileron width and location of the servo arm cutouts.

Decisions decisions, pusher or tractor. Leaning tractor, will be a slight bit quieter too I think, which helps when running night flyers in a residential neighborhood.
If you go pusher, the ailerons only need to be trimmed, stock control horn location gives you enough clearance for 9" prop(once the ailerons are trimmed) I'm running an 11x7 cut down to 9.xx. I need to check it for exact overall length but it's just over 9". Plan on big batt/s way up front if you're not running a decent size camera (gopro) on the nose...
On mine set up pusher, no camera on nose; 2830 NTM with that cut down prop, 30A ESC, 3300 3S batt just in front of the spar point (I didn't cut into the spar) Flys great once i get it in the air, takes a serious chuck to get it there, but it's probably just my technique...

bbauter

What motor would you suggest from HobbyKing? I did buy an e-flite Park 370 (expensive) for my swappable but I want a dedicated motor for pushing my wing. I am NOT looking for this to be a speed demon as I am rather new to the RC scene.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Doh! I thought I could get away with overlapping colors; the blue bled through.
Yeah, colored packing tape colors add.

Way I've done it before, start one color from the transition, then add a peice of maksing/painters tape over the layed tape along the transition. then when you lay the next layer, overlap as much as you like, then use the maskgin tape as a cutting board -- slightly score the top color, and the masking tape layer might get cut, but it doesn't go through to the layer below. you can slip the masking tape out when you remove the excess, and if you cut with margin, they'll overlap slightly for strenght.

Keep at it, and you'll make something you're happy with . . . or get it flying, and you won't care because you're having a blast!