FT Versa Wing - BUILD

Johan

View attachment 12492

Each wing is extented by 30 mm on the inside, so are the elevons.
I made longer spars too.

View attachment 12493

Spacy looking cockpit will take the battery hopefully getting CG right. Endplates got spacy too.

View attachment 12494

Super flat stealthy underside.

Now waiting for the force ....

Cool! I noticed in the build video that Josh said the CG is way back and you might even have to add weight to the front,
Your solution with the canopy gives you the space to have the battery further up front!
Downside could be that if you crash, the canopy takes the full hit...

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
What spec foam board are people using?

I am looking at this for my model http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5mm-20-x-...382?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item45fb09559e
That should work fine as long as the foam is not too brittle. I don't know what the shipping to you would be (it said 7.50 pounds to me in the states), could be a deal breaker if it's too high.

Keep in mind, the plans are designed for 4mm foamboard so you might need to adjust a tiny bit to make this stuff work. Or, maybe you can just squish the foam that little bit.

Jackster

That should work fine as long as the foam is not too brittle. I don't know what the shipping to you would be (it said 7.50 pounds to me in the states), could be a deal breaker if it's too high.

Keep in mind, the plans are designed for 4mm foamboard so you might need to adjust a tiny bit to make this stuff work. Or, maybe you can just squish the foam that little bit.

They do a 4mm but only in a 4x8 foot sheet.

This is the cheapest I have found so far and works out at £4 per sheet so £8 per plane.

Should be fine with the extra 1mm, just press things in a bit more :p

Have to wait a while anyway. No longer getting support as a full time student so have to get myself a job before I get anything :/

AirJockey

Hello Flite Test crew and community :) I'm new to aircraft rc and stumbled upon this awesome site looking for info on fvp flying.

I'm interested in doing my first build using the ft versa platform. I downloaded the build plans and brought to my work to get it plotted on mylar but can't do it from pdf files. The cad designer at my work told me that I need to bring him the full sized file in a format that he can work with. He gave me a list of the following formats; .ai, .eps, .dfx or .ard. He also told me that he could cut crease and score the foam, corrugate, and paperboard that I told him that I would be using for the build.

I would like to build one for me and one for my son who wants to do the air combat that we've been watching on flite test videos but I want to add sonic blasters kits which will shut down the engine for a few seconds when hit instead of smashing into each other. I also want to build one just for fvp.

I'm really happy to see what everybody is doing with rc flight and grateful for the time and effort that went into this site to give people support for rc flight.

Thanks

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
You should be able to open the PDF with Illustrator and re-save as .ai format. IIRC I have done that before for vector files...

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I am building from scratch and for a smoother curve to the front upper wing I have doubled the number of score cuts (another cut between each original cut). It makes for a much better looking curve without much of the blockiness of the original design. I will get some pics as soon as I get it coated with polyurethane on all sides to waterproof it and prepare it for paint. I am using white foamboard for the upper and black board for the lower wing surfaces.

P8130006.JPG P8130003.JPG P8130004.JPG

Thurmond

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I am building from scratch and for a smoother curve to the front upper wing I have doubled the number of score cuts (another cut between each original cut). It makes for a much better looking curve without much of the blockiness of the original design. I will get some pics as soon as I get it coated with polyurethane on all sides to waterproof it and prepare it for paint. I am using white foamboard for the upper and black board for the lower wing surfaces.

Thurmond
That should be awesome looking! And it should be a big help with orientation as well.

klaw

It's dead easy to download the PDF plans, and run them through an online PDF to AutoCad conversion tool. Then you have full-scale CAD drawings that you can manipulate as you see fit. That's what I did to make a 105% scale plan, with the correct size slots .

If FT is okay with it, I'd be happy to upload CAD versions of their plans to a central location. Or maybe they can provide their originals, which are probably better than mine.

Great idea on the additional score cuts, I think I might do that too.

Last edited:

DennisSwe

I´m planing on doing this nice Wing, but I only have 3mm Depron or 6mm Depron...
What do you think about that?

If it´s 4mm they use, then the 3mm would be the best?
I´m going to use it as FPV with a GoPro2 in the nose..

Tritium

Progress so far:

P8140001.JPG P8140002.JPG

Had a little trouble with the nose topside, thus the gap at the nose (filled with hot glue) but that is no issue as that area will be cut out for my GoPro. Notice the better curve to the wing with twice the number of score cuts.
After scoring I used a Popsicle stick to groove down each score line. This allowed a bit more glue in each groove which will add to the required weight in the front of the plane and really strengthened the front edge.

Aileron hinges are reinforced with Extreme packing tape on the top and blenderm on the bottom.
Servo's are standard 9 gram Tower Pro Metal Gear.

The entire plane inside and out is coated with Polyurethane.

Thurmond

Last edited:

earthsciteach

Bah, my Assassin will eat your wing for lunch, Thurmond. ;)

Looks great! One suggestion, if I may. While the black/white is great contrast for orientation under daylight conditions, near sunset low light and silhouetted against a brighter sky, you will lose that. I know this because my combat wing spent the night before last in a tree due to that very reason. Consider putting some king of pattern on the black so you know you are looking at the bottom.

Tritium

LEDs inside the wings mounted to the front and back of the wing spars for orientation at night. My Deep Reaper will clobber your Assassin (when I get the Kit put together that is, it just got here a few moments ago). AND it will carry enough battery to fly to where your are, take your Assassin out then fly home, all Autonomously. :p

Thurmond

Last edited:

klaw

I´m planing on doing this nice Wing, but I only have 3mm Depron or 6mm Depron... ..
I'd go for 3mm depron, with a layer of tape or shrink film on the outer surfaces to stiffen it up and make it more robust.

You'll have to construct it a little differently though - for instance, you can't score uncovered depron and fold it in half for the spars, since it will just snap. You'll have to cut out the 2 spar halves seperately and glue them back to back. Scoring and folding the wing curve should work okay though.

Also, the lack of outer paper layers will make it a little less rigid. You probably should consider putting an extra depron spar in the wings, or maybe sinking some thin carbon rods into the underside of the wing across the joint.

On the plus side, it will probably end up being slightly lighter than the equivalent foam board aircraft.

I ordered the speed build kit. Though, as practice, I plan to use plans to build from scratch. Scratch build will be tractor (pull) style. Final (speed build) will be pusher style. IMG_0159b_s.jpg IMG_0160s.jpg IMG_0162s.jpg IMG_0165bs.jpg