FT Versa Wing - BUILD

jackedman

you guys your wings look awesome. Im just waiting on my parts to get in so i can get going on building mine. I found a motor to use in this plane in my stock of stuff and its going to be a supertiger .10 motor so it should be interesting to see how it does

brettp2004

Versa Wing

Here's my wing I decided to paint the other day. It came out better than I expected. The only problem I've been having with it is the servos keep getting loose. I'm thinking about gluing a popsicle stick to the top and zip tying the servo in place. Any other ideas? photo.JPG

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    693 KB · Views: 40

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Here's my wing I decided to paint the other day. It came out better than I expected. The only problem I've been having with it is the servos keep getting loose. I'm thinking about gluing a popsicle stick to the top and zip tying the servo in place. Any other ideas?

FLY FASTER! SHE'S ON FIRE!!!!!!

Awesome paint job.

If you're willing to break into the wing, you could make a foam frame around it to increase the glue's holding area.

otherwise, perhaps a stronger glue? Gorilla glue is my current favorite, and if you strip the paper and pull the stickers off the servo, it'll bond to the Servo's plastic case and foam into the foamboard. dampen the surfaces with water, then use sparingly -- too much will leak out as it expands.

This plane is so fun to fly. Don't forget to check your transmitter battery voltage. This morning, during a flight, my transmitter battery-low alarm started beeping like crazy then I immediately started a deliberate light spiral to do a landing approach....then...suddenly...no more control over the airplane. Fortunately, the plane continued its light spiral and actually (roughly) landed itself. Wing is okay, but motor flew off and need to rebuild a new pod.

IMG_20130828_074939s.jpg IMG_20130828_074955s.jpg

brettp2004

I'm just using hotglue. I installed all my FPV stuff today so I removed the paper and reglued the servo but it still wasn't looking to solid. So I glued a small piece of wood to the top and zip tied the servo down for a little extra strength. The top is still just white. To paint it I cut the wing shape out of poster board and then drew my pattern on there. Then I cut the pattern out and used it as a stencil to spray paint, in case anyone wanted to use the same method. Thanks for the feedback.

DennisSwe

yey.
two friends wanted also to build the FTVW.. =)
so to night we where to our hobbyclub and cut out all the foam, a friend did three pusher motormounts. :)

tomorrow we will put these together.

DennisSwe

found some LEDs that I put in my wing.
to bad that I didnt have any more of them. :p

white LEDs in the middle.. green up front and red aft.

jord907

I just finished my wing yesterday. I ran into a few issues with the CG because of the pusher motor so I added a pod to the front of the wing to hold the battery(it is held shut by magnets). and I built it out of Orange and black foam board so that gave it some nice color.

brettp2004

I make a fake gopro to stick on the front of mine for the weight. Just a piece of 1"x2" wood and a two AA batteries and it's about the same weight and dimensions. That way when I put my real gopro on there the CG stays the same.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Just finished mine and got a maiden on video. Had to use a 3000 3S to balance it with the pusher setup but it seems to like the extra weight. Flew like a champ once I got it in the air. Also, it took 2 tree attacks and the broadside of the barn with no issues! I'll post the vid as soon as it's done processing...
Had some issues with youtube but it's finally right!

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Thanks! I don't know if you can see in the video, but it was literally only a few inches from hitting the tree again.

Yes, it is! It's my first true wing so I don't have any comparison to other wings to go by but it's a blast! From what I'd heard before about wings, I expected more unstability, but my bad launch technique aside, it flies really well! Can't complain at all. I'm changing the motor out now for a 2830 NTM and an 11x7 cut down to 9x7. The other motor was still a little anemic at full throttle and was pulling it's rated max amps so I figured I'd trade up a bit. Kv on the NTM is only 900 and the new setup pulls about 15amps/175 watts. I'll fly it in a little while and let you know how the new setup works.

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I might have to rethink the motor combo. It flies but is so torquey on launch. I had to throw a few times before I finally got it in the air. At least it's durable! I did tape mine though so I think that has a lot to do with it. Need to go over it and hit a few delam spots with the hot glue...and I bent my 3300 LiPo. :(